ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
kynan OP
n00b
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Oddometer: 1
Taking a Motorbike across borders in Vietnam, Cambodia, Loas and Thailand

Hi

My plan is to purchase a bike in vietnam and cross into cambodia, back into vietnam, into laos and then finally into thailand.

I thought this was going to be easy but have come up against a lot of "you cant do that" from people.

the issues seem to be with the import/export of the bike when its in a vietnamese owners name. (apparently to get it into my name is possible but difficult and would expire when my visa expires, this does not work).

has anyone done this type of trip with a bike purchased in one of these countries? Any tips or information would be helpfull.

If you havent tried it but just think its not possible that isnt helpfull

thanks kynan.
kynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
farfetch
this is what I look like
 
farfetch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Australia...touring
Oddometer: 149
Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand

I'm also looking into this end of Asia. I just pulled into Australia, so i wont reach thailand until late december. Where do you find information concerning border crossings in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Can i even take my 1150GS into those countries? I've heard some news about size restrictions on motorbikes. Sounds like you've done some research, can you give me any pointers,.. would appreceate any advice
thanks

Chris
thelongestfriday.com
__________________
“Beware the phantom dozer!”

http://thelongestfriday.com/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...hlight=orizaba
farfetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
LaudJohn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetch
Where do you find information concerning border crossings in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. C

, can you give me any pointers,.. would appreceate any advice
thanks

Chris
thelongestfriday.com
Thailand, Laos and Cambodia will not be a problem. A little bit of customs paperwork at the border. You may need to leave the bike and go into a town in Thailand and get insurance but that's cheap. In Laos you need local cheap insurance as well but that is available at the border.

You will not be able to get your bike into Vietnam.

Malaysia is also easy. Singapore is a hassle with some paperwork for the tolls but doable just expensive.

If you ship your bike from Darwin to Singapore I have heard that the local Automoblie club will meet you at the docks and trailer the bike to the Malaysian border for about $70 .. if you are a member of a riciproical club.

I have ridden my Cambo registered bike in Laos, Thailand and Malaysia without problems.

I am thinking of riding my OZ based bike up some time as well.

A carnet is only required for Indonesia, not the other countries mentioned.

I hope this helps,


cheers

LaudJohn
__________________
07 DR650 in Melbourne
01 DR650; in Phnom Penh
LaudJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
petefromberkeley
-
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by farfetch
Where do you find information concerning border crossings in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.
thelongestfriday.com


www.horizonsunlimited.com
__________________
Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride. Hot as a pistol but cool inside.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #5
MuddyMick
MuddyMick
 
MuddyMick's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Cambodia-Biker Paradise
Oddometer: 5
New to this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaudJohn
Thailand, Laos and Cambodia will not be a problem. A little bit of customs paperwork at the border. You may need to leave the bike and go into a town in Thailand and get insurance but that's cheap. In Laos you need local cheap insurance as well but that is available at the border.

You will not be able to get your bike into Vietnam.

Malaysia is also easy. Singapore is a hassle with some paperwork for the tolls but doable just expensive.

If you ship your bike from Darwin to Singapore I have heard that the local Automoblie club will meet you at the docks and trailer the bike to the Malaysian border for about $70 .. if you are a member of a riciproical club.

I have ridden my Cambo registered bike in Laos, Thailand and Malaysia without problems.

I am thinking of riding my OZ based bike up some time as well.

A carnet is only required for Indonesia, not the other countries mentioned.

I hope this helps,


cheers

LaudJohn
Hi, MuddyMick here, I am new to this site and live i PP, can you give me a clue as to how to submit a new topic? Just cant seem to find how to do it. I would like to post my own topic about riding here in cambodia.

Mick

muddymick@hotmail.com
MuddyMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
psyc3oo2
Ceiling Cat
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: NYC, Vietnam, Thailand
Oddometer: 3
I am looking to do the same trip starting around January 15th 2010. I will start in Ho Chi Minh city and plan on hitting all 4 countries. I am budgeting about 2 months, but I am flexible and have more. Hit me up on PM if you are interested on a riding buddy.
psyc3oo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 AM   #7
van-cleef
keep rollin
 
van-cleef's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: BKK, Thailand
Oddometer: 4
Hi,

check this out guys

http://www.gt-rider.com/

A lot's of Informations about borders crossings in SE-Asia!
van-cleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 AM   #8
cat herder
n00b
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Oddometer: 1
Question selling in Thailand

Hi Guys,
A bunch of us are looking at doing the same trip in Oct 2010, we want to buy bikes in Vietnam and sell them in Thailand, anyone know of any problems in doing this, and any particlar bikes to choose or avoid

cheers
cat herder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
audigirl
Adventurer w/Camera
 
audigirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynan
Hi

My plan is to purchase a bike in vietnam and cross into cambodia, back into vietnam, into laos and then finally into thailand.

I thought this was going to be easy but have come up against a lot of "you cant do that" from people.

the issues seem to be with the import/export of the bike when its in a vietnamese owners name. (apparently to get it into my name is possible but difficult and would expire when my visa expires, this does not work).

has anyone done this type of trip with a bike purchased in one of these countries? Any tips or information would be helpfull.

If you havent tried it but just think its not possible that isnt helpfull

thanks kynan.
I just came back from riding through Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia with my friend and husband. We bought Minsk's from Cuong in Hanoi (Cuong’s Motorbike Adventure, 1 Luong Ngoc Quyen) and rode south for 2,500 km. Luckily we had no problems at the boarders since we had the registration paper for each bike.

We were interested in shipping the bikes home and since Cambodia didn't check our bikes in at the boarder, we decided to end the adventure in Cambodia versus riding back into Vietnam to Hanoi. So I'm not sure if you would run into problems leaving Cambodia with bikes since they would not have a record of you entering the country with them. On the other hand, I'm sure you could pay off the boarder officials to let you through.

LaudJohn mentioned having to leave the Thai boarder to get insurance and have it in Laos, but we didn't run into that issue.

Hope this helps!
audigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
audigirl
Adventurer w/Camera
 
audigirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat herder
Hi Guys,
A bunch of us are looking at doing the same trip in Oct 2010, we want to buy bikes in Vietnam and sell them in Thailand, anyone know of any problems in doing this, and any particlar bikes to choose or avoid

cheers
I just came back from riding through Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia on a Minsk. I bought it in Hanoi from Cuong (he's well known in Hanoi) and shipped it home from Cambodia. Although I have no experience selling a bike in Thailand, just thought I could share a few experiences with you.

Prior to our adventure, we applied for a multiple entry visa to Vietnam and single entry to Laos. When we crossed into Laos from Vietnam, Laos changed our visa from one month to one week simply because we were importing bikes. Additionally, when leaving Laos, all three people and three bikes had to be accounted for. When we crossed the friendship bridge from Laos into Thailand, we had to sign a paper stating we would leave the country with the bikes or pay a $2,000 US dollar fine.

Based on our experience, I'm not sure you would be able to leave Thailand without the bikes. Out of the four countries, Thailand had the most sophisticated boarder system. They imputed our passport information and bike information in computer systems, versus write it in a log book like Laos. It would probably be easier to leave the bikes in Laos or Cambodia or even Vietnam.

Regarding the type of bike, we found two options. Buying a Minsk or renting a Honda dirt bike. We didn't rent the Honda dirt bike because they needed a $4,000 US dollar deposit and $7,000 US dollars if the bike got stolen. Additionally, we would not be able to leave the country unless we hired a guide. Granted the guide was cheap, but we didn't want to go that route. In the end, buying a Minsk was a good choice because they are easy to work on and we could find tires for it along the way. Cuong will also buy the bikes back from you, so you don't need to mess around trying to find a buyer.

Hope this helps and have fun on your trip!
audigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:20 AM   #11
BloodyBigAussie
Traveller
 
BloodyBigAussie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Ozzie but doing RTW in Thailand now
Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the info Audigirl I am heading that way shortly ........sounds like fun
BloodyBigAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
DanTheMan07
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: San Jose
Oddometer: 118
Good info Audi girl, im here now in Sa Pa, Vietnam and picked up a bike a week or so ago from Cuong in Hanoi. Also planning on riding to Laos, Cambodia, Thailand.

Is it possible to cross by land from Cambodia to Laos?

So from your info on Thailand i guess its not possible to sell the bike in Thailand? Would you have an idea if it would be possible to take a round trip flight out of Thailand with bike still in country? My plan right now is to do a round trip flight to Nepal from Bangkok, then pick up the bike and continue south.

Any info on getting the bike to Malaysia? Singapore?

thanks

DTM
DanTheMan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #13
V@lentino
Inspektor
 
V@lentino's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vankouver
Oddometer: 815
Cool2 Not where the intent of the thread is going

Quote:
Originally Posted by van-cleef
Hi,

check this out guys

http://www.gt-rider.com/

A lot's of Informations about borders crossings in SE-Asia!
I guess it's like that for most of us wanting to contribute/share Kynan, thread seemed to have been a bit hijacked, so not to be left out, we are are also going to Thailand early April and are planing a 1-2 day trip with GT rider. I know this will be just a tease

Have a great trip
__________________
FEAR ===> False Expectation About Reality. GSA08
Work is just the time you have to spend between rides.

The motorcycle chronicles of Jackie & Valentino
The Southern Episode
V@lentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #14
audigirl
Adventurer w/Camera
 
audigirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan07
Good info Audi girl, im here now in Sa Pa, Vietnam and picked up a bike a week or so ago from Cuong in Hanoi. Also planning on riding to Laos, Cambodia, Thailand.

Is it possible to cross by land from Cambodia to Laos?

So from your info on Thailand i guess its not possible to sell the bike in Thailand? Would you have an idea if it would be possible to take a round trip flight out of Thailand with bike still in country? My plan right now is to do a round trip flight to Nepal from Bangkok, then pick up the bike and continue south.

Any info on getting the bike to Malaysia? Singapore?

thanks

DTM

I don't have any info getting the bikes into Malaysia or Singapore. From our experience, Laos and Thailand were strict about us entering AND leaving the county with the bike. I'm not sure if it would be any different if you shipped them and could show proof you still got them out of the county.
audigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #15
itsfridaymoanin
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Oddometer: 1
Some anecdotal evidence

TL;DR I've taken a Vietnamese motorbike, Honda Win 110cc (paper not in my name) into Laos and Cambodia, no problems. A smile and patience go a long way. Showing frustration / aggression = nobody helps you.

Vietnam / Laos (Bo Y border)
Bought a Honda Win 110cc in Ho Chi Minh City. I have the blue Vietnamese registration card (not in my name). I ride around Vietnam for a couple months and want to cross into Laos at Bo Y, Vietnam. This is the Southern most part of Laos that touches Vietnam, literally just a few km North of the Cambodian border. I get out of Vietnam with the bike no problem (besides navigating the exit process in the near empty building - no issues with the bike). Upon entering the Lao border, I check in my bike and receive a small receipt. I get my visa and think I'm home free, but at the final gate to leave the border area and enter Laos, they turn me back, pointing to a green paper. I offer the small receipt from when I entered the border, but it's not what they want. They say I need to go back and talk to the Vietnamese. I go back and chat up the Vietnamese customs guy, talk with him about his family for 10 minutes (it's a pretty slow border crossing). Finally I ask him a third time for a green paper for the motorbike (with 200,000 Dong in my passport) and I finally get the answer I need: if I had a car, I'd need a customs paper, but the motorbike is no problem. He refuses the passport with the money still inside :)


This is bad, because the Lao say I need something from Vietnam and the Vietnamese guy says he has nothing for me. I go back to the Lao and look around asking for a green paper. Finally after peeking in the "Customs" window (not the "Visa" window) I see the green paper the guy at the gate was showing me. I pointed to it and pointed to the motorbike. He asks for a paper from Vietnam. I tell him "I go to Vietnam and ask for paper for motorbike and he say no problem" I continue to stand there for a minute and repeat a couple times "Vietnam say no problem" Eventually, the Lao guy starts filling out the form. He gives me the green form and a receipt for me.

I go back to the gate and the Lao agent sees the form, lets me through.

Laos / Cambodia (Hwy 13 by the 4000 Islands)
Leaving Laos, I drive through a gate to enter the Lao border zone. I notice a sign as I pass through that says "Customs" and think maybe I need to check in there. I turn around (I'd already ridden 100 meters or so) and enter the little shack and hand all my paperwork to the Lao guy reading the newspaper with his feet on his desk. He takes my motorbike receipt and makes a stamp on my passport.

I continue through the border with zero episode. Everything is standard, no mention of the bike, no customs slip, nothing.

I haven't gone back to Vietnam yet, but want to just to prove you can do it, and tell whoever I sell the bike to in Vietnam that you can go all over. Will update on that episode.
Safe travels everyone!
itsfridaymoanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014