User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 08:38 PM   #1
bbjsw10 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Building a XS650 Scrambler

Hey everyone, 1st post on here, long time lurker.

I bought a 78 Yamaha XS650 Special about a month ago, planned on build a hard-tail bobber....... Well I have changed my mind, going dual-sport instead.

My first bike ever was a 1986 CR80R and loved dirt bikes ever since. Now I can have a dirt-bike I can ride to work!!!

I bought it from a Yamaha technician that had it for 9 years, and recently rebuilt the motor on her. I added K&n's to it, and rejetted carb. I also put hi-po clutch plates and springs in her. I figured I may abuse it a little more than PO did, especially if I take it off-pavement.

Here a few pictures of what I have done so-far.

First is I added some "motocross" handlebars from Jc Whitney, the only ones I could find that had that "vintage" look I was after.

I also added a voltmeter, so I know if problems are going on. I don't want to be past u-turn time and not know it.

I relocated the ignition to make room for the voltmeter.

Drilled the front rotor after alot of thinking and planning it. I know some people are against the idea, but atleast I had assistance from my retired father that was a machinist for 40+ years.

I have also began to go through and di-electric grease all electrical connections. I want to try to make them more water tite this way. I don't plan on crossing a bunch of water, but Murphy's law is always in play on a bike.

Future plans:

1. Install 2" over fork tubes and race-tech emulators.
2. Change rear shock mounts to enable a 2" raise in back to match front. (I am 6' tall so I want seat a lil higher than it is now)
3. 2 into 1 exhaust with a Supertrapp. I love the tuning opportunity of these and works a spark arrester as well.
4. Track down some "standard" spoke wheels for this instead of the "special" mags it has.
5. Possibly install a 4 Gal. "standard" tank, instead of my 2.9 gal. Added range.
6. Paint (#1 Silver, #2 Blue) with some knee pads like the Trumpy's have.
7. Knobby's of course.
8. The list will grow, too many things in my head right now.

That is all I can think of right at this time. I am getting knee surgery tomorrow so kinda, distracted right now.

bbjsw10 screwed with this post 08-12-2009 at 08:45 PM
bbjsw10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Dirty boy
120db piece of crap

Oddometer: 47
Sounds like you know what you want and I like what you are doing. Giver man have fun! Hope you have a quick recovery.
DB
Dirty boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,651
Here's your XS scrambler pipe: Omar's XS650 Mile Pipe

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
ODDSC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Keep us posted! I bought a '73 XS650 project bike, but haven't ripped into it yet. Still trying to figure out just what I want to do. I too was thinking bobber, but scrambler might be cool.
ODDSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Rich Dubbya
Pimpadimpolis

Oddometer: 244
Between Omarsdtr and Mike's XS you have an ace in the hole when it comes to parts .
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
bbjsw10 OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys, yeah I have looked at Omar's and actually talked to him about somethings on phone one day. Also Mikesxs.com is a God send for these bikes, spent $300 on odds and ends there already. About the exhaust I may just get some random sections of 1 1/2" pipe bent locally and weld up my own head pipes. I like making my own pieces.

I ran across a picture of another XS650 scrambler that is kinda like I am going for.

Here it is. Enjoy!!

The main difference on mine is I will probably have some form of rack on the back, and a small fairing over the light (like some Triumph's have), mine will also sit a few inches higher.

I am currently nursing my knee back to health. Just had surgery on it today at noon. I had a meniscus tear, fun, fun... I am sitting with my friends, frozen peas on my knee at the moment. I am going to the garage tomorrow to sit on stool and atleast grease some more connections if nothing else.

I also watched: Worlds fastest Indian, and One man's dream today. Both are awesome movies, both about kiwi's and their bike passion. That is all, going to bed now, I can take my last 2 percocet's for the day, finally and Good nite everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODDSC
Keep us posted! I bought a '73 XS650 project bike, but haven't ripped into it yet. Still trying to figure out just what I want to do. I too was thinking bobber, but scrambler might be cool.
You will love your bike, and you should make a Scrambler. Much more versatile than a bobber. Plus you could always ride 2 up on one.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
dakdakdave
an older,wiser noob!

Oddometer: 386
they sound great dont they!

I don't mind these old girls, heres a pic of one at a vintage mx event in queensland australia, a couple of months ago near my place. enjoy.

http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_1501.jpg
dakdakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 PM   #8
bbjsw10 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakdakdave
I don't mind these old girls, heres a pic of one at a vintage mx event in queensland australia, a couple of months ago near my place. enjoy.

http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=IMG_1501.jpg
Thank you, that's absolutely stunning in my eyes. Now that is what I call a dirt bike. Thanks again, I saved that pic for sure.

Wish I could visit there someday, the OZ that is.

You wouldn't happen to have any more pictures of that bike would you? I love that thing.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
I'm rather partial to the XS 650 as well, there are some pretty nice street trackers in ' olds cool ' let your finger do the walking in search mode.
Good luck with your project
trustme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #10
RedShift42
Some guy

Oddometer: 313
Any updates on this, bbjsw10?
-JD

RedShift42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
SkaerE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
did you finish? i was thinkin of doing the same to a 74 i found. but i want to build a scrambler/great escape bike clone. :)

just trying to figure out if i'll need a new tank... the stocker doenst look much like the scrambler's

ideally i want soemthing close to these..... (one attached and my link to the other)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535169
Attached Images

SkaerE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,892
G'Day guys, just found this post, here's an old 'Adventure' from oz,

1975 XSB, usual modifications via MikeXS & 650Central,
plus my own welding achievements

This is my 'Touring' bike, for when 'Mrs Ghost' comes to a rally.
Just love my XS650's

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 01-20-2010 at 10:53 PM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #13
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10
I may just get some random sections of 1 1/2" pipe bent locally and weld up my own head pipes. I like making my own pieces.
Good onya too mate!

I just this afternoon finished welding up a single pipe and shortened Yoshi can to replace the two cans on my 640 LC4 SM. Blisters here and there, set fire to my hair with the grinder in the shed (as you do..... ), but it feels DAMN good.
Building the stuff is half the fun I reckon.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:10 AM   #14
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Mr. Ghost

I appreciate your bikes. I wonder what gearing do you use. Also it seems you added additional lights... Have you upgraded the alternator?

Thanks.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl
I appreciate your bikes. I wonder what gearing do you use. Also it seems you added additional lights... Have you upgraded the alternator?

Thanks.
Gearing as follows;
Normal - 18 / 34 - dirt touring [both bikes]
Blacktop - 18 / 30 - with 16'' rear wheel, 18 / 32 - 18'' rear wheel
Enduro [serious dirt] - 18 / 38-40 - with 18'' rear wheel.

Alternator hasn't been changed yet, runs OK but the driving lights are only 55watts each with individual relays, soon to have brushless alternator from
650Central [Mike Morse - California], avoid night riding where I am as the wildlife are dense in population.
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote