ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #31
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 437
Only thing I can't understand is: Why go from cast wheels to spoke wheels? If I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do to my Scrambler is ditch the spoke wheels entirely.

I get that spokes are "authentic" but they're also a PITA to clean and they require me to run tubes, which means I can't fix a flat with a plug. I'd gladly give up the "traditional" look of spokes in favor of a low-maintenance cast wheel that let me run tubeless tires.
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
_CJ
Retrogrouch
 
_CJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: The 719, Yo.
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Only thing I can't understand is: Why go from cast wheels to spoke wheels? If I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do to my Scrambler is ditch the spoke wheels entirely.

I get that spokes are "authentic" but they're also a PITA to clean and they require me to run tubes, which means I can't fix a flat with a plug. I'd gladly give up the "traditional" look of spokes in favor of a low-maintenance cast wheel that let me run tubeless tires.
To each their own I guess. I really prefer spokes and tubes. Party because of my background with bicycles, and partly because that's what dirt bikes run, and scramblers are supposed to be more dirt oriented.

I have to admit, the bike in post #23 looks damn sexy with the mag wheels. It's more street/cafe, so maybe that's why it looks right.
__________________
.
.
Moto since 2011, DR350
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 08:56 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
_CJ
Retrogrouch
 
_CJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: The 719, Yo.
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Great lookin bike,probably should fit a heat sheild on those pipes before you wish you had.
Strangely, the exhaust doesn't seem to get too hot. I think maybe because it's a straight through design without any chambers of baffles? I also asked the previous owner about it when I was first checking out the bike, and he said he never noticed any heat from the exhaust in the time he had it.
__________________
.
.
Moto since 2011, DR350
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
Maxacceleration
What now
 
Maxacceleration's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Wa
Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Only thing I can't understand is: Why go from cast wheels to spoke wheels? If I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do to my Scrambler is ditch the spoke wheels entirely.

I get that spokes are "authentic" but they're also a PITA to clean and they require me to run tubes, which means I can't fix a flat with a plug. I'd gladly give up the "traditional" look of spokes in favor of a low-maintenance cast wheel that let me run tubeless tires.
Isn't Woody's wheel in Colorado Zap?
He can (and does) seal spoked wheels for tubeless use.
If you keep your spokes clean, they are easy to clean... My Scrambler cleans up pretty easy.
__________________
Horsepower is a distant second to useable torque, unless cafe cruising is the reason for the purchase...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #35
_CJ
Retrogrouch
 
_CJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: The 719, Yo.
Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Isn't Woody's wheel in Colorado Zap?
He can (and does) seal spoked wheels for tubeless use.
If you keep your spokes clean, they are easy to clean... My Scrambler cleans up pretty easy.
That's who built the wheels on my XS. Stainless spokes, but not sure if they're sealed.
__________________
.
.
Moto since 2011, DR350
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
biker128pedal
Super Lurker
 
biker128pedal's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern, VA
Oddometer: 2,725
I had a '79 standard with spoke wheels. Put the Bub exhaust and 13 inches shock. Great gravel runner. Good do it all motorcycle like the Wee. Here it is back in '83 on Brush mountain in SW Va. I still have the a Yamaha 650 Society shirt.

__________________


Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
Dirtsampler
Adventurer
 
Dirtsampler's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Orygun
Oddometer: 23
This post is to keep alive an interesting thread and to motivate me to complete my project sooner than later. I picked up this 1977 XS 650 in unmolested but neglected condition. It starts and runs, all the gears seem to work, and it has only 10k miles. The down side is that it lived outside at the coast, and has all the corrosion and rust you might expect from that. I will tear it down to inspect the engine and suspension bits, but don't have the funds to make it real pretty. The intended use is to explore fire roads and off the grid fishing holes, so beauty isn't critical anyway. I just want to know that when I leave the house, a return trip is a good bet. Here's my starting point.

__________________
1977 XS 650 project
Dirtsampler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
Gham
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gham's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Auburn Hills,MI.
Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsampler View Post
This post is to keep alive an interesting thread and to motivate me to complete my project sooner than later. I picked up this 1977 XS 650 in unmolested but neglected condition. It starts and runs, all the gears seem to work, and it has only 10k miles. The down side is that it lived outside at the coast, and has all the corrosion and rust you might expect from that. I will tear it down to inspect the engine and suspension bits, but don't have the funds to make it real pretty. The intended use is to explore fire roads and off the grid fishing holes, so beauty isn't critical anyway. I just want to know that when I leave the house, a return trip is a good bet. Here's my starting point.



I had a 79,Put some fresh oil,filter,gas and check the points.If the charging system works your good to go.I wouldn't tear down anything on it until it craps out and that will be carbs/petcocks or manifolds
__________________
Member 6204

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #39
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 285
Xs650

Man, I had one of these once - in fact it was my re-entry bike !

some called them vibrators .... haha .... it sure was fun and then I sold it and got an XS Eleven ... wow that was a nice upgrade

but they look great stock ... cafe yes ... scrambler maybe
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014