Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #31
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Only thing I can't understand is: Why go from cast wheels to spoke wheels? If I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do to my Scrambler is ditch the spoke wheels entirely.

I get that spokes are "authentic" but they're also a PITA to clean and they require me to run tubes, which means I can't fix a flat with a plug. I'd gladly give up the "traditional" look of spokes in favor of a low-maintenance cast wheel that let me run tubeless tires.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Only thing I can't understand is: Why go from cast wheels to spoke wheels? If I had unlimited funds the first thing I'd do to my Scrambler is ditch the spoke wheels entirely.

I get that spokes are "authentic" but they're also a PITA to clean and they require me to run tubes, which means I can't fix a flat with a plug. I'd gladly give up the "traditional" look of spokes in favor of a low-maintenance cast wheel that let me run tubeless tires.
To each their own I guess. I really prefer spokes and tubes. Party because of my background with bicycles, and partly because that's what dirt bikes run, and scramblers are supposed to be more dirt oriented.

I have to admit, the bike in post #23 looks damn sexy with the mag wheels. It's more street/cafe, so maybe that's why it looks right.
MTB since 1991, Full-Rigid Steel 1x8

_CJ screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 08:56 AM
_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #33
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Great lookin bike,probably should fit a heat sheild on those pipes before you wish you had.
Strangely, the exhaust doesn't seem to get too hot. I think maybe because it's a straight through design without any chambers of baffles? I also asked the previous owner about it when I was first checking out the bike, and he said he never noticed any heat from the exhaust in the time he had it.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #34
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 1,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post

Isn't Woody's wheel in Colorado Zap?
He can (and does) seal spoked wheels for tubeless use.
If you keep your spokes clean, they are easy to clean... My Scrambler cleans up pretty easy.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #35
_CJ
Retrogrouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Isn't Woody's wheel in Colorado Zap?
He can (and does) seal spoked wheels for tubeless use.
If you keep your spokes clean, they are easy to clean... My Scrambler cleans up pretty easy.
That's who built the wheels on my XS. Stainless spokes, but not sure if they're sealed.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,725
I had a '79 standard with spoke wheels. Put the Bub exhaust and 13 inches shock. Great gravel runner. Good do it all motorcycle like the Wee. Here it is back in '83 on Brush mountain in SW Va. I still have the a Yamaha 650 Society shirt.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #37
Dirtsampler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
This post is to keep alive an interesting thread and to motivate me to complete my project sooner than later. I picked up this 1977 XS 650 in unmolested but neglected condition. It starts and runs, all the gears seem to work, and it has only 10k miles. The down side is that it lived outside at the coast, and has all the corrosion and rust you might expect from that. I will tear it down to inspect the engine and suspension bits, but don't have the funds to make it real pretty. The intended use is to explore fire roads and off the grid fishing holes, so beauty isn't critical anyway. I just want to know that when I leave the house, a return trip is a good bet. Here's my starting point.

Old 10-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #38
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtsampler View Post
This post is to keep alive an interesting thread and to motivate me to complete my project sooner than later. I picked up this 1977 XS 650 in unmolested but neglected condition. It starts and runs, all the gears seem to work, and it has only 10k miles. The down side is that it lived outside at the coast, and has all the corrosion and rust you might expect from that. I will tear it down to inspect the engine and suspension bits, but don't have the funds to make it real pretty. The intended use is to explore fire roads and off the grid fishing holes, so beauty isn't critical anyway. I just want to know that when I leave the house, a return trip is a good bet. Here's my starting point.

I had a 79,Put some fresh oil,filter,gas and check the points.If the charging system works your good to go.I wouldn't tear down anything on it until it craps out and that will be carbs/petcocks or manifolds

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #39
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Xs650

Man, I had one of these once - in fact it was my re-entry bike !

some called them vibrators .... haha .... it sure was fun and then I sold it and got an XS Eleven ... wow that was a nice upgrade

but they look great stock ... cafe yes ... scrambler maybe
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote