Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
mountain36 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
How does your 800gs react at high speed?

How does your 800gs react at high speed? Mine is starting to be buzzy at 75mph. But what I find a bit disturbing is that the front wheel wobbles quite a lot when I have knobbies on it at high speed (60mph and higher), affecting the stability on the bike. I tried my friend's bike, a XR 650 with knobbies, and I was surprised to see that the stability was great, better than on my 800 (but the buzzing was worst on his). Any thoughts? Do you experience the same?
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,706
Tire wear, suspension setup have a lot to do with the 'wobbly' stuff. Headshake or bar oscillation for me was either caused by terrain (not the case), tire pattern sometimes but mostly it was load and/or lack of load on the front tire.

Try cranking up the preload on the rear shock or lowering it depending on what's actually going on it can make a huge difference.

If one of your forks isn't working right i.e. blown seal etc you can experience oscillation at speed as well but I'd think you notice pretty quick.

Hard to get more specific without more details.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain36
How does your 800gs react at high speed? Mine is starting to be buzzy at 75mph. But what I find a bit disturbing is that the front wheel wobbles quite a lot when I have knobbies on it at high speed (60mph and higher), affecting the stability on the bike. I tried my friend's bike, a XR 650 with knobbies, and I was surprised to see that the stability was great, better than on my 800 (but the buzzing was worst on his). Any thoughts? Do you experience the same?
No issue with stability on knobbies at any speed. I did have a slow weave at one time after I resprung the bike, but that was due to my own setup of having to much preload on the front. These bikes like to have the front weighted, check the position of the tubes in the forks. The dealer seem to set them up flush with the triple tees. There is a line on the tubes that is the proper location. I run mine a little lower.
I feel the buzz but at a lower speed, goes away at 80. Finally put some thing foam grip covers on the grips.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
I had some front end wandering at speeds above 70 MPH (110 KPH) when I put the front MT-21 on. I also had the same problem on my previous bike which was a KLR. The solution was to increase the preload in the rear.

Cheers!
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I'm not sure it's prudent to be continuously travelling those speeds on a knobbie. There's a lot less tire in contact with the ground as compared to a street pattern and that's automatically going to be a disadvantage in traction. Wobble or no wobble, how's the braking and cornering traction? I'd worry about that first.

(Flame away boys.....)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
While you're checking things, check these, too.
  • Front wheel balance
  • Front tire pressure
  • Triple tree bolt torque
  • Front axle bolt torque
Is this a real knobby like an MT-21, or a poser like the TKC?
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:22 PM   #7
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
+1 on the suspension setup.

Mine is solid to 90 mph+ with just me, but I do feel the front get light when I'm riding two-up. I'm still working on the optimum preload / dampening combination though.

What settings are folks using (one-up / two-up / panniers loaded...)?

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #8
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
No problems here, I'm riding on a semi-worn Karoo T front and regularly cruise at 80+ mph around the DFW highways (either that or the cagers run me over while txting on their cell phones).

Also, I believe there is no wobbling at 115+ mph, if I were to admit I go that fast

I do have Metzler Karoo Ts both front and rear with modified suspension (progressive springs) and they do well on the highways and sandy stuff!!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain36
How does your 800gs react at high speed? Mine is starting to be buzzy at 75mph. But what I find a bit disturbing is that the front wheel wobbles quite a lot when I have knobbies on it at high speed (60mph and higher), affecting the stability on the bike ... Do you experience the same?
Were you loaded? Gear wise? I found above 75 MPH loaded with gear and wearing knobs the front end does get a little loose. 80 and above definitely keeps you alert. Counter steer into a fast turn and it feels a little like headshake and keeping a loose grip gets hard. At first it was a little disturbing but nowhere near tank slapper danger. I figured I was carrying over a hundred pounds behind me and that was probably enough to upset the geometry. I just backed off a bit when cruising and started thinking of a steering damper....
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
Might want to check the torque on the steering head. That was an issue on some of the early bikes.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,706
Be nice to hear back on what the cause of the handling issue's were.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #12
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I weigh 220 and no probs at all up to 100MPH. I did notice if you start a wobble by moving around it will be exaggerated real quick, was kinda scary at 70. Also my rear suspension is about maxed out on preload. good luck with your findings.
josh9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,443
thought mine was tires

I thought it was due to my front TKC getting cupped (pretty severely), but noticed that it wasn't quite universal; at times I could cross 80 mph with no wobble whatsoever.

Started trying to figure it out, and for me, it seems way worse in traffic, which leads me to believe it's maybe a wind issue.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #14
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Unbalanced MT-21 front and TKC-80 rear, panniers mounted and smooth asphalt got me to 96 mph before the death wiggle kicked in. That was enough for me.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 621
I find the same thing. I don't go over 120kph with just me at 220lbs and no gear. I run Mitas E09Dakars front and back and find them squirrelly. Especially when following a truck or something of consequence with the buffeting I find it pulls on both arms intermintently and causes the handlebars to start to wobble. If I take one hand off just for a moment it stops. So it tells me that there's a problem with the light steering or the knobbie. Not enough pressure on the front. I have the rear preload cranked up fully so I may have to look into the front.

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote