ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,761
calling all WV historical marker riders

so who's heading to Charleston on the 29th to meet the Gov?

I'm in.
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #2
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Count me in too. I'm actually headed down on the 28th in the evening.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,983
Me too!

Count me in . Hey, I'm going to try to order an ADV T-Shirt to give the guv'na. It wouldn't be proper to show up on his doorstep empty-handed, now, would it? I think it would be nice to present it to him.

I'd also like to see if we all (including Gov Manchin) would like to ride out somewhere for BBQ after the photo. Might be a good chance for us all to meet and get to know each other a little.

I PM'd everyone who has contributed (PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I MISSED SOMEBODY!!!). So far I have 9 "Yes" - 2 "??" - and 2 "Sorry-Can't make it". No reply from 6 or 8 riders yet.

Thanks again, everyone, for making this project happen. I could never do it all myself.

Pray for good weather and no schedule changes for Gov Manchin. I will post directions and times on the Markers website in the coming week. I rode by the Capitol Thursday, and I think the area at the bottom of the steps would be a good place to line up a bunch of bikes. This is the south side facing the river. I'll give better directions later.

See you in 13 days.

pnoman
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Not any good mom and pop BBQ places that I can think of in Charleston, but Famous Dave's is a short Ride down Corridor G and is pretty good.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
I'm in!

I'll be coming over from Morgan County with a buddy - we were planning to camp somewhere within a couple hours of Charleston Friday night- any suggestions?
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Baker
I'll be coming over from Morgan County with a buddy - we were planning to camp somewhere within a couple hours of Charleston Friday night- any suggestions?
Hmmm, you have a few options. Sutton Lake is an hour or so north of Charleston on 79. Bee-Run there is a favorite of our families. Pretty small and almost always quiet. Freeman there is bigger and noisier, but closer to the lake.

Beech Fork State Park and Fox Fire (in Ona, WV) are past Charleston (basically in Huntington) along I-64 which are also nice. Probably an hour or so away as well.

The closest one I can think of is New River Campground in Gauley Bridge. It's a short jaunt East on US-60 from Charleston. Probably no more than 20 minutes away. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I think it was pricey. Maybe $20 a night or something for primitive sites.

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Thumb camping

Thanks, Chrome - I'll check them out
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

well I'm behind on the map, guess I need to check first page out and find a route to snag some markers on the way there and back
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 08-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
pnoman
Just Average

Route to Charleston

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
well I'm behind on the map, guess I need to check first page out and find a route to snag some markers on the way there and back
I rode up Rt 60 from Ranielle to Charleston last Thursday, and have the photos edited and uploaded to my web server. I'm slowly adding them to the thread as time permits. Basically, I got most of the markers from Ranielle west into Charleston.

Just thought I'd let you know so I don't spoil any plans. Sorry it's taking so long to get them posted, but I had just done about 25 the week before, then another 42 on this ride. Guess I should go to work some, too.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next Sat.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
I rode up Rt 60 from Ranielle to Charleston last Thursday, and have the photos edited and uploaded to my web server. I'm slowly adding them to the thread as time permits. Basically, I got most of the markers from Ranielle west into Charleston.

Just thought I'd let you know so I don't spoil any plans. Sorry it's taking so long to get them posted, but I had just done about 25 the week before, then another 42 on this ride. Guess I should go to work some, too.

Looking forward to meeting everyone next Sat.
thanks

you mean Sat the 29th right
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #11
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaking RT
thanks

you mean Sat the 29th right
Yes - Sat 29 Aug 2009 at high noon. Sorry for any confusion - I usually say "this" Saturday for this week, and "next" Saturday for next week, but not everyone does it the same way.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-18-2009, 02:58 PM   #12
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Yes - Sat 29 Aug 2009 at high noon. Sorry for any confusion - I usually say "this" Saturday for this week, and "next" Saturday for next week, but not everyone does it the same way.

Of course! West Virginia Standard Time!

Looks like I'm gonna head over on Fri. the 28th. Planning on sleeping in the woods with the critters. Anyone want to share a campsite about an hour out from Ground Zero, sound off. Should probably set up a rendezvous [thats a meet up point for you Hillbillies] so we don't straggle into the capital looking like a Kelly's Heroes remake.

I respectfully request Sgt. pnoman be our fearless leader, guide and spokesman. I've read a bunch of ya'lls posts. We need a spokesman. Without, there's a chance the whole crew will see Monday morning from the inside of a Charleston slammer. :ymca

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Of course! West Virginia Standard Time!

Looks like I'm gonna head over on Fri. the 28th. Planning on sleeping in the woods with the critters. Anyone want to share a campsite about an hour out from Ground Zero, sound off.
I'm thinking about a backway in that Friday, get close (within 2 or 3 hours) and find a room. I'd hate to meet the Guv smelling like a camp fire

Quote:
Should probably set up a rendezvous [thats a meet up point for you Hillbillies] so we don't straggle into the capital looking like a Kelly's Heroes remake.
let me know where and when

Quote:
I respectfully request Sgt. pnoman be our fearless leader, guide and spokesman. I've read a bunch of ya'lls posts. We need a spokesman. Without, there's a chance the whole crew will see Monday morning from the inside of a Charleston slammer. :ymca
I second that motion
IBA#10787

– Abraham Lincoln

-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVChrome
Hmmm, you have a few options. Sutton Lake is an hour or so north of Charleston on 79. Bee-Run there is a favorite of our families. Pretty small and almost always quiet. Freeman there is bigger and noisier, but closer to the lake.

Beech Fork State Park and Fox Fire (in Ona, WV) are past Charleston (basically in Huntington) along I-64 which are also nice. Probably an hour or so away as well.

The closest one I can think of is New River Campground in Gauley Bridge. It's a short jaunt East on US-60 from Charleston. Probably no more than 20 minutes away. It's been awhile since I've been there, but I think it was pricey. Maybe $20 a night or something for primitive sites.

Later,
Chrome...
Anything wrong with Kanawha State Forest? It's just 7 miles south of Charleston??

http://www.kanawhastateforest.com/index.html
Old 08-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #15
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young
Anything wrong with Kanawha State Forest? It's just 7 miles south of Charleston??

http://www.kanawhastateforest.com/index.html
D'oh. How could I have forgotten about the State Forest!?! I've heard people say the camping was nice, but I've never seen it first hand. I wouldn't worry about staying there at all, it's a State Park so it should be nice with reasonable enforcement around.

Later,
Chrome...