ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 05:33 AM   #31
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 31,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman
Aug 29th Photo Participants - Please Read!!!

Well, I got an email from Mr Geiger. The Gov's office called him today to cancel our photoshoot next Sat (Aug 29th). His next available date is Nov 14th .

Are you guys (and gals) still interested in meeting? My vote is "Yes". I asked Mr Geiger if he would mind being the Master of Ceremonies. I had invited him earlier, but since he is head of the Markers Program, I think it would still be an honor to meet him. It would still be fun to get together and meet y'all.

Please PM me with your vote as soon as possible - Yes, I'd still like to go, or No, I'll pass.

Thanks!

guess we're not at the top of the political food chain

"If you like your health care plan, you can keep it," - President Barack Obama
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM   #32
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,034
Itinerary for Aug 28/29

OK, ladies and gentlemen, here is the 1st draft of an itinerary for this weekend. I'm open to suggestions, but I'd like to have it finalized by Wednesday at noon. The tour time and photo time are set - Mr Geiger is driving in from Huntington to be our host.

Here goes:

Friday Aug 28 -

Noon to ????? Check in at Kanawha State Forest Campgrounds. Look for a group of bikes (duhhh) or my "PNOMAN" sign that I'll post if we're out marker hunting. Paul (the campground manager) said we could go 2 tents per site.

4 pm - Let's ride! From the campground, we'll pick a loop south, maybe around Logan or anywhere interesting. Plan on 2hrs.

6:30 pm - Depart from the Campground for dinner somewhere around Charleston. Ask around for BBQ or good road-food joint. We'll come back to the campground after dinner and see who can tell the biggest lies .

Saturday Aug 29 -

8:30 am - Depart campground for breakfast. (May not have time to return before tour and photos).

8:45 am - 9:45 Breakfast at Tudors (sp?) Biscuit World. Located off I-64 [EDIT: Exit 100 - Broad St south to Quarrier St.]

10:00 am - Tour Starts (Please try to be there a few minutes early). WV Culture Center Museum. Off I-64 Exit 99, go to first light (Washington Ave) and turn LEFT (East) into parking area for Capitol Complex. Turn RIGHT at the guard shack and park by the Culture Center. Walk around front and meet inside the entrance in the "Great Hall". Mr Geiger is going to give us a personal tour of the Museum. This should take about 60-90 minutes, then allows a few minutes for potty stops before photos.

11:45 am. Depart Museum for Capitol. For those just arriving for the photos, take I-64 Exit 99, go all the way south to Kanawha Blvd (about 1/2 mile) then turn left. It's the big building with the big gold dome on top .

12:00 Noon - Meet on the south Capitol Steps (facing Kanawha Blvd and the Kanawha River). We will line the bikes up along the bottom step for the big photo shot. After that, we will walk over to the Historical Marker across the street for a group photo (without bikes - not enough room).

I have a few things planned (awards) before we head out to lunch. We'll plan on riding out somewhere for lunch (again, I'm open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the Charleston area). After lunch, it' s homeward bound (unless any of you all plan activities on your own).

Again, this is the first draft, Version 1.0.0.0 Stay tuned for "improvements".
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-25-2009 at 05:08 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:02 PM   #33
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Turkeyman101 and I have changed plans. Since this is a get together, we are going to treat it as one. We are going to attempt a Friday night arrival, could be as late as 8.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:30 PM   #34
turkeyman101
Navigationally Impaired

Oddometer: 611
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
could be as late as 8.
or as early as 6...

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese..."
The Navigator told me to dress for the crash... (Don't throw rocks at the Navigator, ESPECIALLY when you THINK you know where you are!)

07 KLR 650
1 hp Tennessee Walker
both rode hard...
turkeyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #35
pnoman
Just Average

My first attempt at imbedding a Google Map

This is my first time trying this - Google map with yellow tabs for Capitol and Culture Center, Tudor's Biscuit World, as well as Kanawha State Forest campground (about 6 miles south of Charleston)

Can't figure out the imbedding - tired - posting link for now - will try again tomorrow.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?oe=UT...c8f6e7d049bebc
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-24-2009 at 07:12 PM
Old 08-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #36
Grape_Ape
It Feels Good

Oddometer: 463
Is the Governor in or out for this weekend?
Grape_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:29 AM   #37
pnoman
Just Average

Gov Manchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape_Ape
Is the Governor in or out for this weekend?
Gov Manchin will be out of town, so Mr Joe Geiger (head of the Archives and History Division) will be our Master of Ceremonies and tour guide.

Still planning on a great weekend if the weather cooperates.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #38
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Still planning on a great weekend if the weather cooperates.
What's weather got to do with it?

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #39
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook
What's weather got to do with it?
I was just thinking the same thing a while ago - is this the ADVENTURE RIDER website or the FAIR WEATHER RIDER website?

Unless there's big scary lightning , I'm gonna try my best to be there Friday night to camp.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 PM   #40
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
I was just thinking the same thing a while ago - is this the ADVENTURE RIDER website or the FAIR WEATHER RIDER website?

Unless there's big scary lightning , I'm gonna try my best to be there Friday night to camp.
+1, I will be there unless the lightning is touching down. If I die on a bike, it better not be because of lightning!

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #41
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Stationary targets are easier to hit.

When Old Hobb marks my account "paid" I'd rather be twisting a throttle at the time than be holed up in some damp tent swatting at mosquitos.

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #42
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook
Stationary targets are easier to hit.

When Old Hobb marks my account "paid" I'd rather be twisting a throttle at the time than be holed up in some damp tent swatting at mosquitos.
That's a good way of looking at it!

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #43
pnoman
Just Average

Itinerary for Friday and Saturday - WV Marker Hunters Convergence #1

Here is the most current schedule for this weekend. It looks like they are calling for some rain Friday, less on Saturday. Bring rain gear and dry socks.

Link to map with Campsite and Charleston locations. Click Here.

Friday Aug 28 -

Anytime after 2pm - Check in at Kanawha State Forest Campgrounds. Look for a group of bikes (duhhh) or my "PNOMAN" sign that I'll post if we're out marker hunting. Paul (the campground manager) said we could go 2 tents per site.

4 pm - Let's ride! From the campground, we'll pick an interesting route. Plan on 1 - 2hrs. Maybe local to get some markers in Kanawha County, maybe just a fun ride.

6:30 pm - Depart from the Campground for dinner somewhere around Charleston. Ask around for BBQ or good road-food joint. We'll come back to the campground after dinner and see who can tell the biggest lies and make friends with the person who brings the biggest and best rain cover.

Saturday Aug 29 -

8:30 am - Depart campground for breakfast. (May not have time to return before tour and photos).

8:45 am - 9:45 Breakfast at Tudors Biscuit World. Located off I-64 [EDIT: Exit 100 - Broad St south to Quarrier St.]

10:00 am - Tour Starts (Please try to be there a few minutes early). WV Culture Center Museum. Off I-64 Exit 99, go to first light (Washington Ave) and turn LEFT (East) into parking area for Capitol Complex. Turn RIGHT at the guard shack and park by the Culture Center. Walk around front and meet inside the entrance in the "Great Hall". Mr Geiger is going to give us a personal tour of the Museum. This should take about 60-90 minutes, then allows a few minutes for potty stops before photos.

11:45 am. Depart Museum for Capitol. For those just arriving for the photos, take I-64 Exit 99, go all the way south to Kanawha Blvd (about 1/2 mile) then turn left. It's the big building with the big gold dome on top .

12:00 Noon - Meet on the south Capitol Steps (facing Kanawha Blvd and the Kanawha River). We will line the bikes up along the bottom step for the big photo shot. After that, we will walk over to the Historical Marker across the street for a group photo (without bikes - not enough room).

I have a few things planned (awards) before we head out to lunch. We'll plan on riding out somewhere for lunch (again, I'm open to suggestions from those who are familiar with the Charleston area). After lunch, it' s homeward bound (unless any of you all come up with a brillian idea and would like to share it).

If you want my cell #, PM me.

See you all Friday night / Saturday morning hopefully. Well, time for me to start packing and looking for my $20 Lowes rain-suit. Stylish, very stylish. But it keeps me dry.
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-27-2009, 06:06 PM   #44
pnoman
Just Average

Bags packed

Well, my bags are packed (clothes double wrapped in 2-gallon Zip-Locs ) so unless there's bad lightning, I'll be heading south Friday about noon.

Hope to see you all either Fri pm at the campsite or Saturday at 10am for the Museum tour and Noon for the photos.

Ride safe!
www.RidingWV.com
Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM   #45
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Quote:
Well, my bags are packed (clothes double wrapped in 2-gallon Zip-Locs ) so unless there's bad lightning, I'll be heading south Friday about noon.

Hope to see you all either Fri pm at the campsite or Saturday at 10am for the Museum tour and Noon for the photos.

Ride safe!
I'll be there Saturday for breakfast. I miss Tudor's.

Later,
Chrome...