ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 02:46 AM   #46
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,970
WV Tag

Looks like the WV Tag-O-Rama is within easy striking distance for those who travel "wirelessly".
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #47
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
The turn-out was smaller than expected, I guess the weather was to blame.

Those who made it had a fascinating time.

Seriously, everyone in West Virginia owes it to themselves and their children to make a family trip to the WV Cultural Center and Museum. It is well worth the trip.

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #48
pnoman
Just Average

Great tour of Culture Center

The four of us that made it to Charleston were fortunate enough to have a personal tour of the WV Culture Center by Mr. Joe Geiger. He is the Director of the Archives and History Division, and has been the "go to" man for help with our Markers project.

First, let's rewind back to Friday afternoon and evening when pnoman (that's me), Some Mook, and intothenew met at the Kanawha State Forest campground about 10 miles south of Charleston. We set up camp on a nice quiet cul-de-sac. Only one other tent, and they were gone by morning (I think the sight of 3 bikers invading the campgrounds was too much for them).

Some Mook and intothenew set up camp to the left, and I was by myself at the end. (Was it something I ate?? )

The Firemeister. Some Mook actually got a fire going with wet wood.

Intothenew says "Hi Martha".

Saturday morning, we stopped at Tudor's Biscuit World for a hearty breakfast. WVChrome joined us at the campsite early and rode into town with us. From left to right: pnoman, intothenew, Some Mook, and WVChrome.

With our guts busting at the seams, we were ready to do some walking, so we headed over to the WV Culture Museum. Mr Geiger was waiting for us and we started promptly at 10:00. (I'm a punctuality freak, so I was a happy camper .

Dang it, I forgot to stop on the way out and get a photo of the outside of the building. Oh well, you can see it on this site: http://www.wvculture.org/agency/cultcenter.html

Inside the Great Room, the front lobby.

Joe Geiger showing us the archive rooms the public doesn't get to see. Here are old newspapers waiting to be put on microfilm. There are several more rows behind these.

Some of the record books go back to the 1800s when WV was a new state.

Death certificates from the 1800s to early 1900s.

The actual hand-written record of the first sessions of WV government as a new state.

Next, we went downstairs to the museum, a very interesting walk-though-time tour of West Virginia.

In the coal exhibit, Mr Geiger gives size perspective to a 4,000-pound chunk of coal.

Life in the late 1800s and early 1900s in coal towns.

Including the Company Store.

Check out this wood-inlay of the 55 counties. Flawless work with NO gaps. You couldn't even slide a piece of paper between the pieces.

The 35-Star flag that was formed in 1863 when WV became a state. Alas, it was short lived, as Nevada became the 36th state in 1865. Cool flag!

State seal. Mountaineers are always free.

After the wonderful tour, it was off to the Capitol steps for a group photo.
(L-R) Pnoman, WVChrome, Some Mook, Intothenew, Mr Joe Geiger. On the pedestal behind us, Abe Lincoln.

Then, we walked across the street for a group photo by the Historical Marker. (L-R) Some Mook, WVChrome, Mr Joe Geiger, Intothenew, Pnoman.

After discussing the Marker Program and other items of interest, we all headed our separate ways.

The rain even cooperated with us. Friday night at the campsite, it didn't rain until after we called it quits sometime after 10pm (WAY past my bedtime ) and had stopped by 5 am. It was nice all morning and for the photos. Then, after leaving to head home, I made it about 5 miles before the downpour started.

A HUGE thanks to Mr Joe Geiger for driving in all the way from Huntington just to give us this tour and for providing autographed copies of the Markers handbook for everyone. I had ordered an ADV Rider T-Shirt for him 2 weeks ago, and it arrived on Saturday at home . Guess I'll drop it off when I'm in Charleston next week.

Life is good.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 05:38 PM
Old 08-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #49
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
The company I got to keep, the host that we shared, and the places that we visited are all beyond words.

Thank you all, that was a treasure.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #50
WVChrome
KLR Owner

Oddometer: 140
A great day all in all. I know what you mean about the rain Pnoman. I made it a few miles when it opened up. By the time I stopped and put on the rain gear, it didn't rain another drop all the way home.

I snagged a few markers I've been meaning to get too. Pictures will have to wait till I'm back in Morgantown to get them off my phone.

I was able to round up:
Ordnance Plant
Morgan Kitchen Museum
Military Survey/Nitro
St. Alban's Archeological Site

But Sadly the Indian Mound marker in South Charleston at the mound, MacCorkle Ave. and Oakes St, is gone, only the pole is left. Perhaps it's being painted?

Later,
Chrome...
Old 08-30-2009, 03:44 PM   #51
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Well done, gentlemen

Looks like a great time - I'm jealous - really sorry I couldn't make it. Thanks to Pnoman for setting it up - dang it - did I mention I'm jealous?
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #52
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,133
You will not walk out the same as you went in.

This one needs some scale, it was just to high for anyone to reach. Incredible inlay work.

I studied for a moment on how to pack light.

I figure this is a good start to a TVAT.

The gray side of the time.

The blue side of the time.

One ringy dingy.............

I simply got lost in my own thoughts with every corner.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #53
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I studied for a moment on how to pack light.

I was trying to figure out the best place for the rifle rack on your GS, but, hey, Martha could just carry it and whack you on the helmet when the GPS says you're going 95MPH.

Thanks for the additional photos. Great weekend, eh, thanks to Mr Geiger.

Guess what was in the mailbox Saturday when I returned home? Of course, the ADV T-Shirts. I'm going to mail the one to Joe Geiger this week. Wish I would have had it to give him Saturday. Oh well.
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 06:04 PM
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #54
freaking RT OP
will golf for food

Oddometer: 30,509
sorry I couldn't make that. looks llike y'all had a good time
IBA#10787

“We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution.”
– Abraham Lincoln

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Obama wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens".
-Anonymous

WV VA Good Eats Map
freaking RT is offline   Reply With Quote