User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 371
Test rode a f800gs today. SLOW!!

I'm sure you have all heard the opinions on this machine but I still wanted to comment on something. Although it seemed to be a beautiful machine and I could go on for days about all the pleasures of it , I was EXTREMELY underwhelmed by the power. I realize that this isn't a dedicated road bike and thus it isn't geard like one, but wow. I ride an SV650 which is by no means a fast bike, but it would blow an F800 into the ditch from telephone pole to telephone pole. This came as a real surprise to me as the f800 supposidly makes 17hp more than the SV and does not weigh considerable more. I know the f800 isnt supposed to be a rocket but I havening serious concerns that I would get bored when riding one on the road. Guess I gotta test a KTM now...

Arch screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 07:55 AM Reason: Removed %$#@ html code.
sark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Hey sark,

I've ridding my 2008 SV650SF for 21k miles in the past year and a half, it's got the fully system Yoshimura carbon race exhaust, remapped, with the K&N air filter. I love the torque and speed, great bike and I will keep it even though I am riding my F800GS now.

The 8GS I got has the Akrapovic slip on and supposedly has been remapped by a performance shop (I got it used *woot*) along with other farkles. I believe the speed difference you see is the low end of the bikes. The SV seems to really bust out of the gate and keep more consistent power. The 8GS has alot more get go in the higher rpms. Maybe I observe this way because I like to ride the 8GS in lower rpms...

Anyway, my 8GS would not get absolutely spanked by my SV but it wouldn't pull away either. Different bikes, different styles of riding, I enjoy the BMW because it helps me slow down and enjoy the scenery (I got three tickets in three months on the SV before it was time to slow down or lose it).

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Slow is relative.. To me, it's got lots of power, especially when wanting to pass cars on 2 lane highways. In fact, compared to my 12GS, the power feels about the same.. the 12 has more torque..
Old 08-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #4
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
What GB said ^^ All I really care about is that I can pass the cagers moving over on me on the highway while txting their psychiatrists about how their cat feels when they cry at night (probably could be solved by learning to ride a motorcycle... but I'm not a psyciatrist).
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hear what you guys are saying. Nice bikes BTW. I just think the BMW felt a bit gutless. I didnt get it over 70mph though so maybe there is something there. My SV has just a yoshi slip-on and a PCIII for what its worth. I get that speed isnt the intended purpose of the BMW but I was still surprised. I could clutch-up the front end in first but any straight up power wheelies were out of the question. In case you guys can't tell, I do like to screw around on bikes a little bit.

It was great in every other way but I don't think it would be $1200 worth of fun. Still, its topping my list for my next bike. Really wanna get on a 950SE though.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #6
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,827
From the perspective of the guy beside you in the Porsche Cayman S...
not so slow.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:47 AM   #7
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by sark
I just think the BMW felt a bit gutless. I didnt get it over 70mph though so maybe there is something there.
Like GB said it's relative. For many of us we've replaced bikes like a KLR, DR etc, and the GS is a rocket in comparison, and still allows us to do much of the same riding that we would on those bikes. In general if you want more power you're going to give up a lot in the dirt, with the big KTM being an exception to that. Once again it's a matter of priorities, for true 50/50 riding I think the power is right in the ballpark of where I want it. On road more hp would sure be fun, but I think it could actually work against you off road. As it is there are times I'd prefer less HP on wet clay or loose uphill rocks.

I can't compare directly to a SV650 but the GS feels like many other mid size bikes with similar output. I hate to ask the question but did you ever really open her up? You mention never going over 70 mph, but you didn't say how high you ran the rpms. I find the lower rpms work great for dirt as it has great low end torque to pull a gear that's maybe a bit high for the speed and it keeps the rear wheel tractable, but when I really want to GO the needle doesn't drop below 5K and it's a whole different beast from there to redline. As for power wheelies, are you talking higher speed freeway stuff? With stock gearing the GS can easily loft the front wheel in first gear as far as you know how to ride it without touching the clutch, just the throttle . It's not going to do that in higher gears though (at least it hasn't for me without a bump in the road or a rise on a hill to help).

The bottom line is if you want more power there's nothing wrong with that, and nobody should tell you that any bike has enough. The question is how you plan on riding. If your dirt is just easy dirt roads you still have a number of options, if your dirt is more technical the big KTM may be your only other option for more power and dirt ability, but with it's own set of trade offs (but that's another thread) . If you don't plan to ride dirt, well that's easy, to many bikes to list with more power.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Never knew my F800GS was thought of as a racing bike ? Anybody else ?
josh9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #9
BackRoader
Heading There Next

Oddometer: 4,746
Hey Desert Dave you nailed it....compared to my KLR, the 800 is the real deal..
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9399
Never knew my F800GS was thought of as a racing bike ? Anybody else ?
I don't think it's fair to say Sark was implying that the 800 should be or is a racing bike, at least I didn't read it that way. He simply thought it didn't feel as powerful as the numbers on paper said it was. I'm a bit surprised with the SV comparison, but there's plenty of reasons to want more real world power than for racing, and others must agree as there are plenty of bikes available with more power that aren't anything close to race use.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #11
sark OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses everyone (except josh). I get what you guys are saying.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
knutte-bor-i-amerika
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
You should compare hte GS to the SV sister, DL 650, now THAT bike is slow! I was intent on buying the Vstrom but it was boring, soulless and SLOW, even though on paper and real life it is an great, even fabulous bike, and very reliable but....nah, didnt do it for me. (Then again, I had sold my 950 Adv...)
knutte-bor-i-amerika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:09 PM   #13
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I know what you mean Sark, I thought my bike was fast until I couldn't catch a Supra. Just sticking up for my beemer (even if it is kinda SLOW). Its a great bike otherwise. I think it gets more power right around 6k but hardly take it that high due to the bike vibrating so bad. My first choice was a KTM 990 but sadly couldnt toss 14k to a bike without the wife freaking out. Good luck on your pick. make sure you ride the 800GS above 70 before buying one.
josh9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
What made you think it was going to be a sport bike? Mine suits me just fine. In fact, I'd gear 6th a tad higher.
Since I never drew Unemployment, never licked a food stamp, never spent a dollar of welfare, did my time in the military, and voted in every election since I've been old enough....I COMPLETELY REJECT THE PREMISE OF "WHITE PRIVILEGE"

upweekis screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 05:00 PM
upweekis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #15
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I've never been passed by an SV off-road. But there aren't any telephone poles most places i ride, either. Just saying................
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote