User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
smith8833 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
oil leak

I may have a problem!! Changed the oil on friday and drove to Santa Fe today getting ready for a poker run tomorrow, to benefit a fellow firefighter who has cancer. Stopped for dinner and noticed oil on the engine around the crankase breather(added seperate filter) and down the side around the dip stick and the oil level appears to be higher! I am at the hotel letting it cool to do more checking! Any ideas, concerns, FEARS. Better yet solutions!!!!
smith8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
well for one thing it would be nice to know what your ridin if your on a Ural your probably running it hot /evaporating some oil and instead of the oil fumes lubing the top end via the stock routing to the air filter it's pukuking it out your added breather and misting back on the engine and yes oil also expands when heated and also foams at high Rpm and may be contributing to the higher oil level

uraldog screwed with this post 08-16-2009 at 04:57 PM
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Threewheelbonnie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraldog
well for one thing it would be nice to know what your ridin
The mention of a poker run said Harley to me. Then he said oil leak which made me think Brit classic. Oil level getting higher, that screamed Yamaha XT. Only when we got to the changed breather did Urals pop into my head, but I thought you lot camped rather than stayed in hotels

Let it cool down, check the level, empty any oil out of the air filter and go for a test run IMHO. Could be as simple as overfilling.

Andy
Threewheelbonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Increasing oil level suggests fuel leaking into the cylinders while parked. If it is not a fuel injected bike I would first check carefully that the oil is not diluted with gasoline. I see an oil change in your immediate future!
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
uraldog
vagabond

Oddometer: 405
well it's nice to know what happened to him aint it
uraldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
smith8833 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
oil leak

Thanks for the info guys and sorry about the lack of facts! Yes it is a ural 08 patrol. Did some further checking and had gas getting by the Right carb! Cleaned the carb in the hotel had stuff that must have come form the tank, cleaned the petcock filter at last service and filter was cloged didnt think it could get to the carb. Changed the oil at quick lube (they let me us a pan) early morning and still made the ride . No further problems bike ran like a top all day. still getting oil on the engine! There is a bolt head and cap/washer under the alternator??? What is that or what does it go to? It is leaking from there! Not alot of oil, not enough to visably lower it, just enough to make a mess it runs down past the fill/dip stick.
smith8833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #7
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith8833
still getting oil on the engine! There is a bolt head and cap/washer under the alternator??? What is that or what does it go to? It is leaking from there! Not alot of oil, not enough to visably lower it, just enough to make a mess it runs down past the fill/dip stick.
I think your oil pump is below that cap. Check with your dealer.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote