ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,965
N GA MB's Cabin Cohutta DS Loop

Just throwing this out to see if there's any interest.

How about a mostly FS road (gravel) DS ride for you folks I've met riding street over the past couple of months and anyone else?

This is only about an 80 mile loop 1/2 day through the Cohuttas. Route starts at the New Hope Store/Conoco west of Ellijay as you start over Fort Mountain on Hwy 2/52, takes back roads up to Old Hwy 2, up the mountain past Jacks River Fields campground, to Lake Conasauga atop Grassy Mountain, down West Cowpen to Mill Creek Rd. and west to Crandall. Fuel stop, then backroad to Eton, then CCC Camp Road along Holly Creek, eventually dropping off to Gates Chapel Rd in the Mountaintown community, and finally Zion Hill Rd. to my cabin for burgers, brawts, and brews.

The cabin appears to be out in the middle of nowhere on this map, but actually is only about 10 minutes off of hwy 2/52 a couple of miles east of the Conoco starting point.

I'm thinking August 29th, but open to whatever other's schedules are like. Any thoughts?

mb90535im screwed with this post 08-28-2009 at 09:00 AM
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,516
i will say i would love to do it but cannot commit till a few days before hand!
so i guess i am in tentatively

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Is that Conoco the gas station up the mountain (approx. 5 miles)from Ellijay or is it in town? Im up for this, just need to refresh on the meetup spot.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:00 AM   #4
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Put me down as a maybe, I'll know better as the draws near. This sounds like fun. Mighty nice of you to open your cabin up for post ride.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #5
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Is that Conoco the gas station up the mountain (approx. 5 miles)from Ellijay...?
Yes, it's called New Hope Grocery. If coming from Ellijay, headed up the mountain, it's on the right.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,363
If the BRP survives this weekend in Murphy I might be down for the ride.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,717
Hi MB. Thanks for the invite. I am interested, especially since that is an area that I have been wanting to explore for quite some time. My participation will depend on the actual date this takes place. So far the 29th works..... SR
Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 AM   #8
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
One of my favorite areas

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
One of my favorite areas
Hey DeBandi! Ride that 950 steed of yours over here. SR
Old 08-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 689
You could also ride down from Hwy 52 on the Rock Creek OHV trail, past Peoples Lake and pop out near Chattsworth. I did it on my 950 a few months ago without too much drama.

Another option: Anyone on small dirt bikes could ride the Windy Gap trails (including the expert section)! Not recommended on bikes over 300 pounds with less than full knobbies.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #11
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer
You could also ride down from Hwy 52 on the Rock Creek OHV trail, past Peoples Lake and pop out near Chattsworth. I did it on my 950 a few months ago without too much drama.
I didn't realize there was a route to the Rock Creek OHV trail from 52. Where's it at on 52?
Old 08-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #12
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hi MB. Thanks for the invite. I am interested, especially since that is an area that I have been wanting to explore for quite some time. My participation will depend on the actual date this takes place. So far the 29th works..... SR
Yeah I don't understand why more of the Suches folks don't ride over there, you just play like you're going to T.W.O. but don't, just take your preferred fs road/pavement route so that you come out at Rock Creek Rd. Where it goes under 515, take goose island (a little dirt) to board town to Cash Road, Bushy Head....part paved and part dirt, bring you out right up there at Higdon.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
I didn't realize there was a route to the Rock Creek OHV trail from 52. Where's it at on 52?
I think he's talking about Tatum Lead, comes out not too far from Cohutta Lodge.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
I think he's talking about Tatum Lead, comes out not too far from Cohutta Lodge.
Didn't realize that Tatum Lead connects with Rock Creek. Tatum Lead has a sign at the 52 entrance stating that "Motorcycles and ATV's are Prohibited".

When I was a kid we used to go through there in 4X4's and come out on Hwy 282 near Woodring Branch. It was way rough back then.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
Didn't realize that Tatum Lead connects with Rock Creek. Tatum Lead has a sign at the 52 entrance stating that "Motorcycles and ATV's are Prohibited".

When I was a kid we used to go through there in 4X4's and come out on Hwy 282 near Woodring Branch. It was way rough back then.
I think that sign is just for motorized vehicles which aren't street legal.