ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #16
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
Didn't realize that Tatum Lead connects with Rock Creek. Tatum Lead has a sign at the 52 entrance stating that "Motorcycles and ATV's are Prohibited".

When I was a kid we used to go through there in 4X4's and come out on Hwy 282 near Woodring Branch. It was way rough back then.
I tried to find a way from 282 around woodring branch a couple of years ago, a lot of the roads I thought would be dirt looked to be recently paved, didn't look too hard, I forgot all about it until you mentioned it.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #17
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Here you go Mb90535im, recoginze this?

Old 08-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #18
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,750
I have heard of this old fire engine, but I haven't seen it for myself. Where exactly is it? I haven't been too many places in the area in recent decades. Just starting to explore around again.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #19
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I have heard of this old fire engine, but I haven't seen it for myself. Where exactly is it? I haven't been too many places in the area in recent decades. Just starting to explore around again.
Its on Conasauga Road between HW 52 and CCC road.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Didn't realize that Tatum Lead connects with Rock Creek. Tatum Lead has a sign at the 52 entrance stating that "Motorcycles and ATV's are Prohibited".

When I was a kid we used to go through there in 4X4's and come out on Hwy 282 near Woodring Branch. It was way rough back then.
You can take a gravel road to the left near the top of the mtn on 52. There are signs that prohibit non-street legal vehicles from coming in that way, but if your bike is tagged, you are fine. The gravel eventually gives way to the Rock Creek OHV trail which leads down to peoples lake. There is a rocky, loop section in there as well.

Windy Gap, Wlma and Tibbs trails are near Lake Conasauga and do not connect with Rock Creek. I think Windy Gap is the trail with the "expert" section.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:17 PM   #21
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer
You can take a gravel road to the left near the top of the mtn on 52. There are signs that prohibit non-street legal vehicles from coming in that way, but if your bike is tagged, you are fine. The gravel eventually gives way to the Rock Creek OHV trail which leads down to peoples lake. There is a rocky, loop section in there as well.
Yep, but I think its more fun going up the mountain from Peoples Lake vs. going down hill. Windy Gap is a handful on a 650. If its been raining, the parking lot is a quagmire. Not the giggity giggity kind.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #22
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

[quote=fullmonte]Yep, but I think its more fun going up the mountain quote]

[fullmonte translator ON] It's nasty going up that mountain, if one of those loose baby head boulders spits you out into the ravine, they will never find you.[fullmonte translator OFF]
Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #23
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 176
Thumb Rock Creek & Noob posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
I think that sign is just for motorized vehicles which aren't street legal.
Very true. There are houses down there for the first 1/2 mile or so. There's a great place to camp about 2-3 miles in up on the left. Too many local yahoo's riding 2-strokes down there for too long. It connects to rock Creek but it's VERY rocky along the trail, nt recommended for the inexperienced or the more portly bikes.

BTW - Let me introduce myself. Just joined last night and have been doing some reading of your great site and amusing threads. I've been riding for a few years and getting more into the ADV style now that I'm old (nearly 40)

MB, If it's OK for an ADV-noob to the join you on the 29th I live literally a stone's throw from your place, just off Gates Chapel and would love to learn more of the trails at my backdoor. It'd also be a great way to meet some of you. Hope to join in more of the threads.

Drew.
AmericanWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #24
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Welcome Drew. Please do join us next weekend. I feel prettty sure that I on my GS will be the most "portly", slowest on gravel, and likely the elder of the group at 52, plus I'm not running knobbies. I'll be sure to get the .GPX file with the route distributed before next weekend so that hopefully one of the faster riders with a GPS can lead and I can ride sweep on this one.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #25
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
I tried to find a way from 282 around woodring branch a couple of years ago, a lot of the roads I thought would be dirt looked to be recently paved, didn't look too hard, I forgot all about it until you mentioned it.
ive seen two gated old forestry roads on hwy 282. is it still passable ??
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #26
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Hmmmmm...maybe. I was just up in there on Tuesday. I think I placed a tag in that area somewhere.

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #27
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Come ride with us Fido. You can lead these guys at a faster pace than I can on gravel and you're familiar with the area.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:41 AM   #28
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
ive seen two gated old forestry roads on hwy 282. is it still passable ??
I was taking roads off of 282, there were some dirt roads but I never found anything that got me anywhere
Old 08-25-2009, 05:47 PM   #29
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,342
Is this one still a go for this weekend? I have not seen anyone post up in this thread and it appear the time is drawing near! I cannot make it for this one (Sorry MB!) but I assure you that riding with MB is a treat in itself. Great guy and one of those that "rides his own ride". You will not be disappointed I assure you!

Get lots of pictures MB!!! I am down the road and am very interested in seeing what is up the street for DS riding.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:54 PM   #30
kdscoates
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
i am also not going make this one the 950 needs a chain and sprocket that i am gonna order to night and i hope i get it by friday and do it on sat!!
i will be at the ball fields in ellijay on sunday at 2 watching some baseball!!
sorry mitch wish i could have made it!!
steve

quote from 4runner "but,if you really need a 80/20 , which most of us do and won't admit it,"
kdscoates is offline   Reply With Quote