ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 AM   #46
JustGreg
Fast as Molasses

Oddometer: 325
I wish this could have happened last week. The wife and I just got back from riding some of this same route. Be safe!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyZUQKUeeV8
One of 5 major crossings in Cashes Valley

JustGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #47
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,979
This one should be interesting after all the rain we've had recently.

Creek Crossing from Monte Burtis on Vimeo.

"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #48
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
Who all is in?

Its 10:20 on Fri nite and I'm STILL a maybe. Sorry

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:50 AM   #49
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
Who all is in?

Its 10:20 on Fri nite and I'm STILL a maybe. Sorry
9:00 at the Conoco on 52.

MB (host, chief cook and bottle opener)
Kdscoates - out

fullmonte - in
Willy-B - maybe
Mike Honcho - out
SuchesRider - in
AmericanWalkabout - in
HelenWheels - in (meeting at Old Hwy 2 intersection 9:30 - 9:45)
SDS - maybe (meeting at Crandall ??)
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #50
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,667
Good morning MB. As much as I want to go on this ride today, I'm gonna pass. I need to go pick up a spare vintage CZ mx bike this morning. Thanks for the invite and the hospitality. You all have fun. SR
Old 08-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #51
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Good morning MB. As much as I want to go on this ride today, I'm gonna pass. I need to go pick up a spare vintage CZ mx bike this morning. Thanks for the invite and the hospitality. You all have fun. SR
We'll miss you. Thanks for letting me know. Looks like we've got a total of 4 bikes. (+/- Fido and Willy??)

I'm outta here. See you at the Conoco.

Patti, catch you later. My cousin had a small CZ dealership back in the old days.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:30 AM   #52
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im
We'll miss you. Thanks for letting me know. Looks like we've got a total of 4 bikes. (+/- Fido and Willy??)

I'm outta here. See you at the Conoco.

Patti, catch you later. My cousin had a small CZ dealership back in the old days.
Sorry I'm so late getting to the computer this morning, MB. Thanks for the kind offer, but as you can already tell, it wasn't in the cards for me today.

Y'all ride safe and have fun.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #53
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Didn't get very many pics of the ride this time...sorry. But it was a great day. Thanks mb for puttin it together.
I owe ya two beers and a bowl of soup!
Monte....thanks for that little run up Cashes Valley Road. Remind me to bring my scuba next time.

Great to meet you all. Let's do this again soon. And we even got the GA TAG

Had a slow ride down Ft Mtn.....followed the Fort Mountain cops all the way into Chatsworth...in the RAIN

The new GA TAG:

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
Old 08-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #54
mb90535im OP
'05 R1200 GS

You're welcome Beau. Glad you made it and I'd like to ride again with you anytime. Everyone else too. Had a great ride.

Beau, did you leave a map on my table? If so I'll get it to you. Pics shortly.

mb90535im screwed with this post 08-29-2009 at 04:08 PM
Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #55
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

I had two maps at your house and now I only have one. So yes, yes, I have lost a map. I'll PM you a mailing address. Or you probably know where our office is on South 41, right across from Gas, Incorporated.
Thanks
FIDO

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 AM   #56
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,979
I had a great time on this ride yesterday. Thanks to MB for putting it together and being such a gracious host. The intermission at the cabin was a great opportunity to get to know those who showed and the food was excellent. The soup your wife made was delicious. Phideaux can really hustle that GS (Gilligan Ship) through the deep water like a pro. The water was a few inches deeper than the vid I posted above. I was impressed... until we came upon a Gilmer County Crown Vic that had already been through 4 of them. I didn't have my camera which is a shame because we would've had some epic pics & video of Cashes Valley. After washing the bikes thoroughly, Phideaux, American Walkabout, and I headed up to meet the rest of the group on old GA2, where we proceeded to the graveyard. Phideaux broke out his phone and said "This is the GA tag!" He's got a system worked out where he can post pics from anywhere and his pics get posted up immediately. I won't divulge his secret but let's just say he has a dedicated family. A few miles up the fire road later I was hauling the mail sideways around a corner and (another) Gilmer County Crown Vic is headed at me. He motioned for me to stop and I was like, Uh Oh. Turns out he was lost and was trying to find Betty's Gap for a call. He didn't have a map and seemed kinda nervous. I told him about the trail head half a mile back that I had just passed and a sigh of relief washed over his face. Hope everything turned out OK. I went on to Lake Conasauge to look for SDS who I thought might have gone looking for us. No sight of a silver KTM950 being trailered by a Nissan Murano so I knew he never showed. That bike has the Cohutta Curse. On the way back out we passed a couple of riders on thumpers who kept on going so I figured they were headed to the Tibbs cycle trail. We dropped down the mountain after leaving Lake Conasauga and Phideaux got the next tag for those of you who are still paying attention. It was there that the thumper riders caught up to us. Brian and James saw the thread and finally found us. They were interested in some trails, so I took them to Rock Creek and Milma which put us at the top of Fort Mountain the steep way. The rest of the group went directly to MB's cabin and we met them there for lunch and camaraderie on the back porch. After a great meal, American Walkabout took us thumper riders to some gnarly singletrack just up the road. I was very thankful I had a brand new T63 rear knob on the DR for the steep stuff he took us through. I never got out of first gear. The hillclimbs were the type that required the rider to go back to the bottom and restart from there if they stopped. We all made it with lots of wheelspin going on, especially for James who did the entire section on his DRZ with stock Deathwings. He's a hare scrambles racer but it was still an amazing feat. Crane would've loved the single track to put the difficulty level in perspective. We made it out of the woods and I was out of gas. American Walkabout took us to his house to rehydrate and gave me a gallon of fuel to get me to Chatsworth. Thanks Drew, you're a lifesaver. At the top of Fort Mountain I saw a black bear on 52 which was a bonus. A great day of riding for sure.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #57
SDS
introverted excavator

Oddometer: 932
I had every intention of being there, but work has me swamped right now. I haven't ridden in a month
SDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #58
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,355
I am thinking I might need to call your boss for you! That is two group rides in two weeks you tired to make and couldn't! Hopefully you can make it to the fall ball ride I am putting together in two weeks? It would be great to finally meet you!!!

The ride looked great and I wished I was able to make it. I will have to grab the garmin file and run it on the XR in a few weeks. Great ride report Monte. I live the " hauling the mail sideways" line.... totally my kind of riding. Good to hear everyone made it ok!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #59
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 215
Thanks to Mitchell

Excellent ride, great food and discussions after. And even captured a tag.

Thanks to MB for organising. Hopefully there will be another soon.

As an added note, Brian & Jason (fyi fullmonte) ended up spending the night at my place so they could ride more of that gnarly single track today. Some great fish was grilled and adult beverages imbibed. We did about three hours this morning before a) Brian's bike stopped and he thought he'd lost his transmission (although doh!, it only turned out to be a chain off the sprockets); b) the rains began which resulted in a rescue job by my ATV to get the slicks on Jason's DRZ up the mountain. Great fun by all - you'll have to get permission from the wife to play longer next time Monte, Sunday was great. I'll hopefully post a video soon of Brian coming down a nearly vertical drop on his XR650L, not known for suspension feats.

AmericanWalkabout screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 11:31 AM
AmericanWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #60
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Drew, I mean't to lecture you about the roost that KTM makes on the gravel . I had to dodge a few big ones you chunked at me! j/k. What knob are you runnin back there anyway? Sorry we didn't get a chance for you to try out my Nazi pig. I think you'd like it, you being so tall. It tends to be a handful at times though.

Had a great day with you guys!

FIDO

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map