User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
ArcticDevil OP
Unregistered Jedi

Oddometer: 415
Engine Weight, F800 and similar

I have it in my fevered brain to use a motorcycle engine in a homebrew aircraft. I will only need 70-85hp, so both the F800 and SV650 engines seem like good candidates to me. The 650 'Strom may also be an option, and might be cheaper to get.
Anybody pull these powerplants for an approximate weight? I am not really finding any data on raw power-weight for just the motor. More appropriate motor suggestions are welcome, but weight should be minimal. Reliability is obviously a consideration, and most modern engines seem to fit that requirement nicely.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
mtm100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDevil
I have it in my fevered brain to use a motorcycle engine in a homebrew aircraft. I will only need 70-85hp, so both the F800 and SV650 engines seem like good candidates to me. The 650 'Strom may also be an option, and might be cheaper to get.
Anybody pull these powerplants for an approximate weight? I am not really finding any data on raw power-weight for just the motor. More appropriate motor suggestions are welcome, but weight should be minimal. Reliability is obviously a consideration, and most modern engines seem to fit that requirement nicely.
The Aprilia SXV 550 engine is the lightest I've heard of, but reliability could
be less than some. I heard lots of horror stories about that engine but I
ran one HARD for 3000mi without a single problem. I loved that engine.
If memory serves me right it weighs about 65 lbs.
mtm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticDevil
Need dual spark.
Don't need a heavy flywheel, as the prop handles that for you.
What are you going to use for gear reduction? I don't think you can run direct off of one of these engines without stalling in the 2k range, which you need to be able to run in.
If it were me, I'd go with the F650 twin motor, due to the tune, as it runs smoother off the bottom than the F8, and Rotax has more than proven itself in aviation applications.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
big adv
I need supervision

Oddometer: 1,058
The bmw R1100/1150/1200 engines are very popular for this app.. There are centrifugal clutch kits and prop drive kits aval.

My dad's a TV repair man, he has an awsome set of tools. We can fix that!

big adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Pics please....

Im a pilot and would like to see what you have going on... the little evektor sportstar has a small rotax but I think the one in the F650 / 800 is a smaller engine with more power in the way higher RPM range like 6k. (correct me if wrong) But I think aircraft engines are kind of like marine engines where they have most of their power / torque in the lower RPM ranges like 2.5-3k. Good luck with the bird tho.
josh9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%.../evektor/1.htm

ok I fibbed. that engine has 100 HP its previous engine had 80.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...red-airplanes/

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #8
josh9399
Daily Adventurer

Pretty cool read bushwhacker. I thought I've heard of a harley V-twin in a ultralight before. I dont think I would put too much trust in that tho....
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,649
I'm not sure application wise but the 2007 and newer Yamaha Phazer snowmobile features a 500cc parallel twin. 85hp not sure about the weight or the torque values but I believe it was derived from the R1 motor and should be reliable. Probably could be found cheaper as well.

Also there was a guy in the flea market wanting to trade a 2007 R1200 motor for a set of Jesse Safari luggage which IMO is a cheap way to get a shiny almost new motor.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #10
ArcticDevil OP
Unregistered Jedi

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9399
Im a pilot and would like to see what you have going on...
The real hell of it is, I want to design a roadable aircraft. Something that really works on the streets, and converts to a flight mode.....A flying motorcycle if you wish. Only pipe dreams and rough 3D work until I find a viable powerplant. Aerodynamic testing will proceed in Xplane (when I get a copy) before a prototype begins to take shape
More and more it looks as if a diesel motor will let me carry less fuel for the same HP and run time. I am aiming for FJR type stance and size, but <225kg, with an ideal ground/air max speed around 190kph.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #11
Whereabouts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Flying motorcycle, now we're talking. I've alway thought the AeroCar was the shit but we all know that two wheels is better. Where are you going to put the wings/tail/prop while you ride? Trailer?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #12
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Back to your engine question, I would think the availability of a suitable reduction drive would dominate your decision about an engine more than whether one engine might be 5-lbs heavier than the next. You might have a look at this:

http://www.spang-air.de/willkommen/B...mw_engine.html

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote