Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Oddometer: 233
3 Naked Twins Ride a Ferry to Victoria

San Jose, CA to Victoria BC

Intro
Last year my buddy and I took a trip to the inaugural WSBK race at Miller Motorpark, we wanted to take a long trip on the bikes and we thought having a destination was needed. What we found out along the way was the trip was much more about the ride than the destination, so we made a pledge to not make our next ride about hanging out somewhere. We decided that a trip north up the coast sounded like fun, so the rest of the year we killed time with the family while we waited for summer to roll around again

With nothing more than a general direction and permission note from The Management, we started talking about things we might want to use as a destination. And by destination I mean a place where we could stop, turn the bikes around, and head back the general direction we came. We figured we had six days initially but bumped that up to seven, as some of you may know this is pushing it when you have a wife and young kids. We looked at Yellowstone, then thought about Glacier National Park but realized we couldn't do that AND the coast... so we decided to just head straight North. It quickly became apparent that a border crossing was in order, it sounds so much better to say we rode to Canada than Seattle so we decided on Victoria. Border crossing plus ferry, score!

So the plan started to take shape and we posted in Trip Planning to see if anyone had ideas about what to see, we got some good advice but also had some comments that amounted to 'San Jose to Canada up the coast in 3 days?? you guys are nuts!'. We couldn't figure out why folks thought this was a big deal, we've been reading reports on here for years and our ride seemed to be conservative by comparison

Preparation
I had always wanted to get a Roadcrafter suit but I just couldn't pull the trigger, I had been sitting on the fence so long the local cat started to get a little too frisky with me. With about 3 months to go before the trip I started checking weather reports, rain. I watched this for another month, more rain. Seemed rain was going to be a high probability which finally pushed me over the edge, sorry kitty you're going to have find someone else to keep you company... and at around $1k a pop I am sure there's plenty of company riding that fence. That done a check of the weather report again showed, surprise, rain! Okay better add some water proof boots (Daytona's) and glove covers for my Helimot's (this turned out to be the best investment I could make, who knew the Cascades was a freaking Rain Forest!!). Gear all set, its time to prep the bike.

Changed the front tire after a short intermission to get the proper Pit Bull front pin for my Guzzi. And then there was the oil change, this should have been a simple 30 minute job but some yahoo at the shop I took it to the last time tightened the oil filter down I had to take off oil pan and spend the next hour and a half trying to pry the damn thing off Finally got that done and the bike back together, all ready for the ride.

Geddo screwed with this post 08-18-2009 at 01:58 PM
Geddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Our group started off with just the two of us, but quickly grew to four riders before finally dwindling back to three of us. Our rides:

Me Moto Guzzi Cafe Sport
Jab BMW R1200GS
Bxr BMW F800GS

Three completely different configurations of a twin cyclinder motorcycle, all we needed was a Jap twin and we could have been the WWII equivalent of the Axis of Evil.

Leading up to the day of the ride we encountered some technical difficulties... hey did you get my e-mail?? And then some smart ass threw a tree at Bxr

Catastrophe avoided the day of the ride quickly came, well after a few the night before so I could get some sleep.

Actual Trip Report and pictures will folllow.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Thumb ...and we're off!

The night before the trip I get the bike loaded up with the bags.

Before

After

Many of you may be surprised to hear that a V11 Cafe Sport is actually a great touring bike, plenty of leg room, space for luggage, a great wind screen that is more than enough to fight back the fierce winds, a long range fuel tank (180-200 mile range), and it makes for a great tripod as you will see from my many pictures. It does have a propensity for tipping over at least once on long trips though, clearly a design flaw

All joking aside I love this bike and I am willing to live with a few discomforts as long as she continues to take good care of me

Early Sunday morning I say goodbye to the Chief and lil injuns (always the hardest part of a long trip) and head over to Jab's place

As far as wind protection goes if our bikes were Gladiators going into battle his GS would have a Roman Kite Shield and mine has the equivalent protection of a hub cap

Bxr shows up a little later

We say goodbye to the Jab family and off we goooooooooo!!!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:20 PM   #4
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Across the Golden Gate Bridge

We jump on 280N and high tail it to SF, this is the best freeway to use to get from SJ to SF as it is much less populated so the views aren't bad and the traffic is usually non-existent on weekends. It is still a bit of a drone though and we finally get through the city and across the Golden Gate bridge, my camera had an issue so no photos while crossing but here are some from the other side.

The Goose in front of the GG

Golden Gate Bridge

How I would prefer to see it

How some @sshat wants it to look

Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
You had me at naked.

Looks like a great time.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
You had me at naked.

We thought that might get some attention around here... naked twins?!?!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Who sprayed yellow graffiti all over this wonderful road??

We cut west to get to Highway 1 and finally get the show on the road, but traffic moves slow here and there are not a lot of legal opportunities to pass.

There are a lot of miles of these long parallel yellow lines, its a good thing they occasionally run low on paint and can only lay it down in short dashes

Its a good thing the coast is beautiful, slow cars allow you some time to look around... and snap off more pictures

This was much slower moving than we expected it to be, we do take our time to enjoy the scenery but nagging in the back of our minds is the distance we will need to cover to make it to Victoria and we can't do it at this speed. And of course there are some great twisties that really NEED to be taken at something faster than 10MPH!

We stop for lunch at this restaurant (not sure what it is called)

and we score a nice table with a view

Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Twisty Video

Some video of the previously mentioned Highway 1 twisties

A lot of the road is like this, twisty road ahead and great view of the water to the left... hmm where to look

Geddo screwed with this post 08-17-2009 at 10:09 PM
Geddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Eek Hello officer

People have asked me if taking pictures and video while riding is dangerous, my response is only if you value the camera or the shot over your safety. Just shoot and if something happens be prepared to drop your camera, using a lanyard is a good idea.

I have no idea how you would explain it to a cop though, luckily this one wasn't looking

Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #10
Geddo OP
ADV-11

End of the first day

We continue up the coast and see more of these wonderful views

We then follow 1 from the coast to 101, this is by far the greatest road I have ever ridden. This thing is fairly well maintained and there are very few people on it, the turns just flow and you soon synch up with the rythym and just ride like the wind. We come upon a few vehicles but they move out of the way, we give them a wave and continue on... this is a road I could ride a hundred times and never get bored.

We detour off of 101 to go through the Avenue of the Redwoods, we had made a decision to try to push to Eureka and this would add some time but it is better than just head down riding on 101.

An over the shoulder shot is difficult to execute

Video of the ride through the Redwoods

And we arrive at the KOA in near Eureka

We get some wood and Jab attempts to use his trusty flint and steel to light a fire, 30 minutes later and a flaming stick from a neighbors fire and we are all set
Old 08-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #11
Solstice0000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
subscribed!

hey Geddo, looks like fun! thanks and keep up the great report (+pics and video) so that we can ride along with you.

Do take care when taking photos while on the move. btw, what are you using to take the videos (vHoldr?) and where/how is it mounted on your helmet?
Solstice0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
I've been thinking of riding down the Oregon coast to SFO.... I'm enjoying this ride report...... more?
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #13
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
In
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice0000
hey Geddo, looks like fun! thanks and keep up the great report (+pics and video) so that we can ride along with you.

Do take care when taking photos while on the move. btw, what are you using to take the videos (vHoldr?) and where/how is it mounted on your helmet?
Thanks, more pics and video to come tonight...

Actually I was using a Canon Powershot IS950 (I think that's the model, will check when I get home tonight). It's on a special mount I call 'The Five-Fingered Palm' Seriously though, I am holding it in my left hand as I ride. This sounds much crazier than it is, or I am just kidding myself So far it hasn't been an issue and I think I have probably traveled many hundreds of miles with it in my hand over the last couple of trips. You just gotta pay attention to what's going on in front of you and have no hesitation in ditching it if you need both hands in a hurry, add a lanyard connected to your bike so it doesn't make it all the way to the ground if dropped. Also I refrain from doing it when there is traffic around.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #15
Geddo OP
ADV-11

Thanks for reading the report, always good to know someone is reading and enjoying these

I think coming south down the coast is the way to go, that 6' closer to the edge can make a difference in your view, however you have to watch out for cars pulling out or crossing your lane to get to a view point. We would have come south but it would mean coming down the coast on our return leg and we have learned that by that time we are getting tired and homesick so best to do that stuff in the beginning.

Other than the views you will really enjoy 1 down from 101 to the coast, I think it is called 208 at this point, absolutely fantastic.