User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 07:52 AM   #16
ccherry
carter

Oddometer: 268
ride 'em

without test riding very hard to make the right choice for yourself. we all have our opinions and are entitled to them. for me it was the test rides, some long, some short.......went with the Tiger 1050 ABS and love it. highest grin factor of anything i tried

good luck!
ccherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
For me it would be the V-Strom. The hardest decision would be choosing between the 650 or 1000.
Why would it be the V-Strom?

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #18
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughlysses
The 2010 Ulys have an updated rear wheel design using 3 (vs. 2) larger diameter wheel bearings with separate dust seals and an anodized axle to prevent corrosion. This looks like it should put the bearing issues to bed once and for all. The new wheel setup is retrofitable to earlier Ulys for about $350.

If you're in the market for a Uly and you're anywhere remotely close to middle Tennessee, you might be interested in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496557
Thanks. I live about 45 miles from there. Maybe I will pay them a visit soon.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 08-18-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for all the great replies. For me, right now I would rank them in this order (but I still haven't done any test rides, it is supposed to rain all week)

V-Strom - probably the big boy, the DL1000. I like the black bike. I also like the price, and I like the Japanese switch gear and reliability. I like the look of the Givi v35 panniers on the bike. Lots of aftermarket support available.

Tiger is a close second. Never heard a bad word about this bike, and it has definitely got the cool factor going for it.

Ulysses is still within striking distance. It's already got a good seat, luggage, and heated grips. Should not need much in the way of Farkles...

F800GS - I don't expect to do much off pavement riding, other than an occasional gravel road, and it seems all three of the others are better street/commuting/touring bikes.

Most of my riding is commuting. I live 56 miles from work, and there are some great roads in between, including the north end of the Natchez Trace Parkway. Some of those roads are littered with potholes and gravel in the corners. I like to meet the boys for the occasional Saturday morning breakfast and then do a bit of corner carving. These guys ride big sport touring rigs, Concours and FJR. Occasionally I will go for a ride with some of my cruiser buddies, so my bike has to be fun to ride slow, or I get bored, pass every body, and they get PO'ed. I like to do at least one road trip a year. This usually involves camping gear, so I need to be able to carry a lot of stuff. I like the wide seat and standard bags on the XB12XT.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 08-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #20
aogop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
It is hard to go wrong with a DL1000 as a commuter bike. I ride to work on mine 9 or so months out of the year. The only issue I have with my bike is the tiny amount of wattage available for accessories.
aogop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:57 AM   #21
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 843
Thumb Tiger 1050?

I am surprised no one has a problem with the buffeting dirty air from the 1050 Tiger. I had an 05 which I really liked to Sport Tour on. I never did like the looks so when the 07 1050 Tiger came out i was all over it. I have a 32" inseam and am 5' 10" tall. i found the bike to have serious helmet buffeting. It needed a smaller windscreen not a larger one. I cut it down to the fairing and still was not satisfied. I sold it with only 784 miles at great loss. Ride this bike before you buy it. Oh and I do wear ear plugs.
Other than the extreme helmet buffeting the bike was great.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #22
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Breeze, it sounds to me like you are shopping for a street bike. Your original post did not shed much light on a usage profile. I am surprised the F8 is even in the mix given your other choices. Unless a bike can reasonably do some dirt (and none of the choices besides the F8 would fit that description for me) why not go full on street? Get a liter sport bike and live happily ever after.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM   #23
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by R12GS HOOLIGAN
For me it would be the V-Strom. The hardest decision would be choosing between the 650 or 1000.
I owned an '04 650, and got rid of it because I felt it was a boring bike.

I just picked up an '07 1000, and there's a BIG difference between the two. The grunt of the 1000 makes all the difference.
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #24
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Breeze, it sounds to me like you are shopping for a street bike. Your original post did not shed much light on a usage profile. I am surprised the F8 is even in the mix given your other choices. Unless a bike can reasonably do some dirt (and none of the choices besides the F8 would fit that description for me) why not go full on street? Get a liter sport bike and live happily ever after.
You're right I should have said how I intend to use the bike in my original post. The biggest reason the F8 is in the mix is because I have a BMW now and the dealer assures me he would give me a nice trade. I suspect the others would only give me wholesale. I suppose I would be better off to just put my bike up for sale....

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM   #25
ezrdr55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Wee-Strom ABS

Edit

ezrdr55 screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 02:03 PM
ezrdr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
MarkyG57
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi from the UK.

Had my F800GS in Mag grey since April 09 (less 1 month not being able to ride for being off sick with two different reasons) I have now done 3.5 k miles in all road conditions from the UK to Europe. Just back from 1300m+ trip, to France, Belgium, Lux and Germany. Went with and rode with 1lt bikes, Gixers etc. The GS was excellent and did keep pace with them, only on 1 occasion was I, just one min behind and this was due to traffic.

I've not yet gone off road, but will do so in 2010 and do the 2 day BMW course in Wales (Breacon)

To me it does evrything and more, I love it. Yes there have been issues with the GS since it was launched but BMW dealer service is there to help, but I have yet to have the problems.

Try it and not for 20 min, take it all day and go everywhere. The best fun is to be had on the back roads and twisties, fantastic.

Enjoy.

Mark
MarkyG57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #27
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,459
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:55 PM   #28
kindofblue
Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer: 822
Wee, Tiger, now GS

I have a Weestrom for a couple months but sold it to get a new ABS Tiger. The Wee would get blown around in strong crosswinds on the freeway like you wouldn't believe. Not so the Tiger. (I also wanted to go back to an ABS bike.)

I too however, was not able to fix the windscreen noise/buffeting. I'm 6'4" w/34" inseam. I tried everything including a (then) prototype madstad bracket and MP design screen. It'd have been just fine if I was 2" shorter. But I'm not. If I was, I'd still have that bike. Sweet motor, terrific acceleration, good brakes. OEM bags weren't great size wise but looked good on it.

I've got a 08 1200GS now and it fits me ergonomically and with an aeroflow screen on, I'm a happy camper. I use the bike primarily for road trips (1-2k).
Get saddlesore when riding? Check these shorts out

kindofblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #29
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa
I am surprised no one has a problem with the buffeting dirty air from the 1050 Tiger. I had an 05 which I really liked to Sport Tour on. I never did like the looks so when the 07 1050 Tiger came out i was all over it. I have a 32" inseam and am 5' 10" tall. i found the bike to have serious helmet buffeting. It needed a smaller windscreen not a larger one. I cut it down to the fairing and still was not satisfied. I sold it with only 784 miles at great loss. Ride this bike before you buy it. Oh and I do wear ear plugs.
Other than the extreme helmet buffeting the bike was great.
How was the '05 Tiger for wind noise? From your post it sounds like it wasn't a problem. Stock windscreen?
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 02:31 PM   #30
Maniac28
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
I have ridden all these bikes except for the Uly. I have owned a vstroom 650 for two years, and have quite a few miles on a DL1000 as well. I have ridden the 800GS and 1200GS. I have also owned a KTM 950 adventure.

I bought a used 1050 Tiger recently and it's the most satisfying-to-ride motorcycle I have ever owned. The triple engine is amazing, and makes one of the best sounds in motorcycling when you are on the pipe at about 5-6k rpm.

The bike looks great (to me), has good brakes and suspension - leagues better than a vstrom, still better than any GS - is practical, comfortable, and not everyone has one, which I like. Wind buffeting? Yeah, all these bikes have that. Even my FJR had it. Buy a goldwing if that's what you are concerned with primarily.

I get over 50 mpg which is what I got on the 650 strom with half the power.

My suggestion: ride them all and buy whatever one floats your boat. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's your bike.
www.pbase.com/ischoenleber
Maniac28 is offline   Reply With Quote