Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM   #31
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
The bike looks great (to me),
You are a KLR man. Anything would look great sitting next to a KLR.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #32
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
Why would it be the V-Strom?
For me because it seems to have the least amount of issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:00 PM   #33
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa
I am surprised no one has a problem with the buffeting dirty air from the 1050 Tiger. I had an 05 which I really liked to Sport Tour on. I never did like the looks so when the 07 1050 Tiger came out i was all over it. I have a 32" inseam and am 5' 10" tall. i found the bike to have serious helmet buffeting. It needed a smaller windscreen not a larger one. I cut it down to the fairing and still was not satisfied. I sold it with only 784 miles at great loss. Ride this bike before you buy it. Oh and I do wear ear plugs.
Other than the extreme helmet buffeting the bike was great.
I had two screens for mine. A CalSci for Touring and a Triumph Touring Screen cut fo Fairing height for around town.

I am 5'10" with a 30 inch inseam, bar backs and a Corbin seat and had no buffeting with either of these screens.

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:04 PM   #34
Dr. Zaius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
Most people have already said what I was thinking. IMHO there is no one perfect bike. If you want to maximize every style of riding, you are headed for a different bike for each ride.
I ride:
F800GS for just about all pavement occasions including long range touring.
F800GS for Powerline and TAT type roads.
CRF450 for the nasty single / double / jeep trails.
GSXR1300 Hayabusa for those really twistie short pavement only day trips.
I want (need):
K1300GT or ?? for those long distance touring trips.

And since you are looking for opinions on the bikes you listed...here's mine. I like the Tiger - smooth power that seems to be endless. Sexy and different from the rest. I think of it like the Range Rover compared to the Tahoe (Strom). Will it be more to maintain? Probably...however that is the price of poker.
Anyway...ride them all. Buy the one that gives you the biggest grin!
Dr. Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #35
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius
Most people have already said what I was thinking. IMHO there is no one perfect bike. If you want to maximize every style of riding, you are headed for a different bike for each ride.
I ride:
F800GS for just about all pavement occasions including long range touring.
F800GS for Powerline and TAT type roads.
CRF450 for the nasty single / double / jeep trails.
GSXR1300 Hayabusa for those really twistie short pavement only day trips.
I want (need):
K1300GT or ?? for those long distance touring trips.

And since you are looking for opinions on the bikes you listed...here's mine. I like the Tiger - smooth power that seems to be endless. Sexy and different from the rest. I think of it like the Range Rover compared to the Tahoe (Strom). Will it be more to maintain? Probably...however that is the price of poker.
Anyway...ride them all. Buy the one that gives you the biggest grin!
Same opinion here - different stable.

F800GS - Adventure riding with small amount of pavement large amount of dirt.
R1200GS - Adventure riding with large amounts of pavement and small amounts of dirt.
300EXC - for hard core dirt riding
400EXC (plated) for hard core dual sporting
Ducati998 - for blasting the twisties for a few hours
YZF1000 - for commuting on the slab (lots of lane splitting).

HuskyTE510 - loaner 4 stroke
300EXC - loaner two stroke (yeah, I have two of them)

HP2 - for when I am feeling totally goofy and bored and have nothing particular in mind
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #36
Lloyd574
Victory

Oddometer: 212
I just love my 1050 Tiger..

Lloyd574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #37
FX4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrdr55
I was trying to decide which bike as well. Having owned 2 BMW's and my riding bud has a GSA; BMW was not even a choice. BMW did me wrong, so not another penny to that POS company. I rode the '09 Wee ABS and loved it. I have put 15K miles on it in 6 months. A couple of 1000 mile days to and from Colorado with 7 days of off-road mixed in while in CO. This bike has done it all. Yes it has needs: Laminar Lip and Madstat, Pelican panniers, skid plate, etc. totaled about another 1000 dollars, but it's set up just the way I like it, and I still have a little less than $9K invested in a new bike.
I'm on your page with BMW. You couldn't pay me to own one again. Of course my issue was two POS cars. But I'm with you...never ever again.
FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #38
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4
I'm on your page with BMW. You couldn't pay me to own one again. Of course my issue was two POS cars. But I'm with you...never ever again.
Hey FX4 I'm calling you out! I was curious about your background with BMW since I believe they are a good company, so I checked out your posts.

At least 1/2 your posts are bashing BMW and the 800 for unknown reasons.

How about you try to put some constructive arguments towards the bikes you don't like instead of spreading biased generalizations. Thanks.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #39
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 418
I love my new to me 07 Tiger and I think the Trax side cases are the best looking luggage option for the bike, here is at pic of them on my bike;

With regards to helmet buffetting, I've just added a Palmers Product windscreen adjustment kit and while I have yet to find a position that gives me complete dead air, the wind is now much smoother and quieter around my helmet.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:03 PM   #40
FX4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Hey FX4 I'm calling you out! I was curious about your background with BMW since I believe they are a good company, so I checked out your posts.

At least 1/2 your posts are bashing BMW and the 800 for unknown reasons.

How about you try to put some constructive arguments towards the bikes you don't like instead of spreading biased generalizations. Thanks.
I ride a Harley SG right now. I'm very interested in getting an adventure bike. I actually came here because a riding friend of mine who is a BMW nut insisted their bikes were much better than their cars. A few days of reading issues here convinced me they are no better than their cars. I owned two brand new BMW cars. Both were worthless piles of crap by 70k miles. One was just completely trashed and the other you couldn't keep a front end it to save your life. Every 20k miles rebuild the front end. BMW did it the first two times (Each with a new and improved design). Number three was on my dime. My wife's car had so many things wrong with it by the time it was six years old and had 76k miles on the odometer, the BMW shop I took it to for maintenance said don't repair it anymore, get rid of it. So yeah I kind of think I threw 90k out the window and I have had a hard on for BMW ever since. I did give them the benefit of the doubt and did a lot of reading here. No change in my view of BMW. BTW I have been lurking here long before I created an account, around a year prior. I rode dirt bikes a bit when I was young. So by all means call me out. I don't think BMW makes a quality product. They make a technically sophisticated product. They make a capable product, but they do not make a rugged reliable product. They break a lot. Just start going through the F800GS threads here.
FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 PM   #41
code
advcurious

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4
They make a technically sophisticated product. They make a capable product, but they do not make a rugged reliable product. They break a lot. Just start going through the F800GS threads here.
I agree with what you're saying, however, look into BMW's history a little bit further. It's nothing new for BMW and first year released bikes. A lot of the first by BMW have major issues. While they aren't the only manufacturer that has done so, they are a more expensive brand, and for that cost you would assume you would have less defects going in. I'm pretty certain that next year you will have very few recalls on the f800gs and all the "major" recalls will be worked out. It's just bmw's signature...so if you want to avoid it, then wait a year or two and the bugs should be gone. Once the first year release is past, they are a quality machine with good technology.

I will give a lot of bmw riders kudos..they ride their bikes and typically put some major miles on them within a years time. Which may also be part of the reason you hear about wear and tear happening to them sooner and more often,, then say a bike that only gets 3k miles on it a year by a weekend warrior joy riding around town and only has to do an oil change once a year or swap out tires every 4yrs. Ride a little harder and you'll see stuff on your bike falling apart and wearing faster too... I think that pretty much explains itself.
code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #42
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4
I ride a Harley SG right now. I'm very interested in getting an adventure bike. I actually came here because a riding friend of mine who is a BMW nut insisted their bikes were much better than their cars. A few days of reading issues here convinced me they are no better than their cars. I owned two brand new BMW cars. Both were worthless piles of crap by 70k miles. One was just completely trashed and the other you couldn't keep a front end it to save your life. Every 20k miles rebuild the front end. BMW did it the first two times (Each with a new and improved design). Number three was on my dime. My wife's car had so many things wrong with it by the time it was six years old and had 76k miles on the odometer, the BMW shop I took it to for maintenance said don't repair it anymore, get rid of it. So yeah I kind of think I threw 90k out the window and I have had a hard on for BMW ever since. I did give them the benefit of the doubt and did a lot of reading here. No change in my view of BMW. BTW I have been lurking here long before I created an account, around a year prior. I rode dirt bikes a bit when I was young. So by all means call me out. I don't think BMW makes a quality product. They make a technically sophisticated product. They make a capable product, but they do not make a rugged reliable product. They break a lot. Just start going through the F800GS threads here.
I feel your pain. It is hard to recover from bad experiences with a manufacturer or a service provider. I have had a couple of BMW cars, and I am on my fourth BMW bike, and my experiences have been completely opposite. I sold my BMW 528i with almost 300k miles on the clock. My ex totaled a 520 series with 150k miles and going strong. None of the bikes ever had a hiccup, and I still own three. The first went to my son and was destroyed in a freak accident (a truck backed up over it while it was parked). Anyway, I have no heartburn with the brand. Our group has six other BMW's in it (5 12GS's and an RT), and I would have to say that the owners have had pretty much the same expereince as me. Nonetheless, the story could certainly be different, but it is what it is.

An adventure bike means different things to different people. For me it means the bike has to be capable of extended and varied use in the dirt, have a range of 200 miles, and have a reasonable dealer network to get parts and perhaps repair in many different locations. Not many brands fill those simple requirements - KTM and BMW are about it. I own a few KTM's (all dirt bikes) and in my experience they require more TLC and garage time than the BMW's, but they are certainly a viable alternative. I could certainly see myself owning a 990 someday.

As it stands the 12GS is probably at the top of the adventure bike spectrum. The F8, from what I have seen so far is a good bike, but I do not think it is more capable in the dirt and it is certainly not as capable on the road as the 12GS. To me the F8 feels top heavy and a bit underpowered. I dropped my F8 three times getting it up Lippincott Road in Death Valley. I am quite sure I could have cleaned it on the 12GS. I guess I have to go back and try.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #43
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
I like the Ulysses because it is American made, and so am I.
So, is that an advantage or not? No further comment.

Quote:
Then there is the VStrom. Great price. You can get the 650 version with ABS. Reliability is not a concern, and there are tons of after market goodies available. But some say "Suzuki" is Japanese for cheap suspension and brakes.
Today I had a very eye opening experience. I have a F800GS myself and we recently got a V-Strom 650 for my wife (used, 2006 model, 9k miles). The last two weeks I mainly rode the V-Strom, to check it out properly, drive with my wife to a big parking lot for her to practice there (she just recently got her license and it's her first bike ever). We also did a two up tour in the mountains here.

So, I have about 300 miles on the V-Strom, way more on the F800GS.

I immediately liked the V-Strom when we bought it. It is a similar concept, similar sitting position (though a good bit lower), and has a great engine. When I drove it, I didn't really dislike anything. It has less power than the F800GS, which was very obvious on the small and steep backroads we had on our tour, but not a problem, just getting used to it, rev it a bit higher and all is good. The wind protection is absolutely incredible with the Givi screen and the Madstad brackets. We added Givi crash bars (yes, they work - my wife made sure to test them, too ) and I have the SW Motech center stand sitting here waiting to be installed. Overall a great bike.

Then today I went back to the F800GS. Oh, man. What a hell of a difference. I thought I could feel every single dollar of price difference between the two (even between the used V-Strom and the new F800GS). The F is way more stable, everything felt sooooo much better, easier to drive, nicer, smoother, way better brakes, even better sitting position, just simply a different class. Wow. Again, I'm absolutely impressed with the F800GS. I know again, why I chose this bike over the R1200GS I also drove. The one and only thing I'm missing on the F compared to the V-Strom is the wind protection. Even my BMW Touring Screen with Laminar Lip attached doesn't even come close.

This is all my personal impression, but I'm happy I've spent the close to $5k more on the BMW. At least if the 2006 V-Strom is any indication for the 2009 model.

If you consider the 650 V-Strom, you should definitely check out the F650GS. I considered it, but it wasn't available at the time and backordered for a long time and I wanted a bike (got the F800GS the same day).

And believe me: this is not a bashing of the V-Strom. I would be totally happy to own one, even with the experience how the F800GS feels. But switching between them really reveals the differences! The V-Strom has a VERY nice engine and is a very good allrounder. But the F just kicks it for me.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #44
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider
$250.00 will get you Ractech springs AND the cartridge emulators...
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't say that. I was thinking it in my head. :)
Old 08-19-2009, 09:36 AM   #45
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
MRbreeze - This thread appears to have become either a BMW bashing, or cheering section, depending on ones disposition to the brand. So back to your original question: Question: What are you going to use the machine for ?? I have an 06' 650KLR, 03' ST1300 & a 08 Uly 12X, so I'm not brand centric. I use them for different kinds of riding adventures. I like the KLR for Baja, and the ST for long distance pavement touring. However, I find, because of it's versitility & my camping/fishing/riding interests, the Uly increasingly gets more road time than the others. (as a touring machine - it's as stable & comfortable as the ST - also 200lbs lighter) I also enjoy it's capabilities more - it's a real canyon carver (even loaded down) and can do dirt/gravel roads to get to Kelly Creek, and other non paved fishing destinations. Not that the GS's (pick one) DL1000, Tiger or...? won't also get you there. They are all capable machines - The Uly just fit me better than the others (Tho haven't ridden the GS800 - weren't readily available yet when I was in the market for an 'adventure' bike in Fall of 07') It has not been 'trouble free' - but no more/less than any other bike I've owned. It is also pretty easy to work on, so appreciate the self maintenence opportunity. I generally avoid dealer service, except for warranty work. (given the distance & logistics - it's a full day ordeal for both drop off & pick up - for 2 people - I can change the eng & tranny oil/filter & adjust primary chain in an hour - in the comfort of my own messy garage) I would be happy to own any of the bikes you're considering. Test ride 'em to see what spins your crank, and look at the supporting web sites for the pros/cons of each model. Some of the 'issues' like the Uly heat and wind protection have relatively simple & inexpensive fixes. The 2010 models have evolved over the 5 years of production & addressed all the known problems. Buell seems to listen to it's small, but loyal, customer base and makes improvements accordingly. Can't ask for much more. You're going to spend upwards of $12 - 14K - so do the homework & you'll make the right choice for your riding interests. Good luck. j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote