Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #61
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Just beware of the vibration. I test rode a friends Uly the other day. The thing just about shook the shit out of me at all rpms.
Then either his bike is broken or you didn't get above 2900 RPM. At 3000 and up it's smoother than most multi's.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #62
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Just beware of the vibration. I test rode a friends Uly the other day. The thing just about shook the shit out of me at all rpms.
Then it was not maintained properly. The Uly shakes like crazy at idle, but virtually all riders (read the reports in this forum) agree that above 2-3K rpm or so the engine smoothes out quite nicely.

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #63
Bushwhacker
Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg
Then it was not maintained properly. The Uly shakes like crazy at idle, but virtually all riders (read the reports in this forum) agree that above 2-3K rpm or so the engine smoothes out quite nicely.

--Doc
I test rode a Uly. Sitting at a red light I thought the thing was going to shake my eyeballs out of my head.

But as you say, as soon as I turned the throttle and started rolling it was as smooth as any other twin I have ever ridden.

-

When you look like a rude, crude, scum sucking cretin, people tend not to ask you stupid questions!
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM   #64
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
why the hell cant we get the Yamaha xt600z????

NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #65
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,650
I really appreciate everyone's input. I still haven't decided what I want to do yet. I cleaned up the old bike and took it for a long ride. Maybe I will just keep it. I don't know.

I amy go look at the V-strom tomorrow

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #66
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
no way

after all these posts, you are sellilng that bike on craigslist tomorrow
NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #67
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 179
Words of Experience - maybe !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
I really appreciate everyone's input. I still haven't decided what I want to do yet. I cleaned up the old bike and took it for a long ride. Maybe I will just keep it. I don't know.

I amy go look at the V-strom tomorrow
I'm pretty familiar with the Suzuki's (I owned a dealership for 6 years) and currently have the DL1000. I've ridden both the 650 and 1000 extensively, both on and off-road. If you've got a 32" or less inseam go for the 650, if you've got over 34" go with the 1000. In between it's a toss-up. It's not because of the seat height difference but because of the whole seat to pegs to bars ratios. A friend even has a 650 with the 1000 seat and for me (6'3" with 34" inseam) anything but the 1000 is just uncomfortable. That said, the 650 has a better engine and is about 20lbs lighter, not to mention $2k cheaper. Either are fine 2-up touring machines so don't let anybody tell you you need a 1000 for touring, unless you and your partner weigh over 400lbs together.

The choice of the Suzuki is a great one if you're planning mostly road and some dirt/gravel two track. They're both too heavy for comfortable single track unless you're an ex-MX star, although it is doable in short spurts. In either case if you're planning significant off-road riding change out the stock tires asap - Metzeler or Continental.

The Triumph is a great road bike. As somebody else said, it's just not set up for any sort of off-roading, even though it may look like a dual-sport bike. You can take it down a gravel road but then again you can do that on a GSXR too.

The Uly I've actually never ridden but heard good things about from a customer who has one. It has a tall seat height so keep that in mind.

If you want to do regular off-road (hard 2 track and/or single track, there's no going past the BMW. It's just a better machine stock for that sort of thing.

Check out these comparo's done that include most of the machines you mention.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/650...g-Comparo.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/12/578...omparo-II.aspx

Just to throw a wrench in the works, if you're thinking about mostly dirt, aka BMW territory, consider the KTM 950 Super Enduro or the 690 Enduro.

It really comes down to the 80-20 rule. Don't buy something for the 20% riding. That's where IMHO the Suzuki comes out on top, it does everything pretty well stock and for a few bucks it will do everything better than most. Key changes from stock - a few washers to stiffen the front suspension - you can go with race tech revalve if you want to but not really necessary, tighten the rear pre-load as tight as it will go, change out your tires and put on a taller windshield. After you drop it the first time put on flush mount blinkers and decent hand guards and keep the other $4,000 - $6,000 you would have spent on one of the others in the bank.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #68
CITYXSLICKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Just go ride the bike, it will tell you everything you need to know, Just go ride the bike

(the nine bastard Uly hybrid)
CITYXSLICKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #69
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVERLOST
Now this bike looks intriguing!! If it was available stateside I may have bought it instead of my F800GS!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #70
AkBrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,376
17" 19" or 21" front wheel preference

I've been curious about the choice of the 17" front wheel on both the Uly and the current Tigers. I've got a Wee, which of course has the 19" front wheel, and I would really have preferred a 21" like on my DR650. My perspective comes from seeing beasts as long distance gravel road bikes first, then dirt trail or interstate bikes second. Do you Uly or current gen Tiger riders think the decision to go to a 17" front wheel was the correct decison, or would you have preferred a 19" or 21"? Hope this doesn't seem like a thread hijack, but it seems pretty relevent to the comparision. BTW, I'd love to have a ~2004 Tiger as a second bike myself., even though I wouldn't have any local service.
AkBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #71
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Now this bike looks intriguing!! If it was available stateside I may have bought it instead of my F800GS!
There you see how different taste can be. I think this thing is even uglier than the KTM 990 Adv - which is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've ever seen.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #72
Hughlysses
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkBrian
I've been curious about the choice of the 17" front wheel on both the Uly and the current Tigers. I've got a Wee, which of course has the 19" front wheel, and I would really have preferred a 21" like on my DR650. My perspective comes from seeing beasts as long distance gravel road bikes first, then dirt trail or interstate bikes second. Do you Uly or current gen Tiger riders think the decision to go to a 17" front wheel was the correct decison, or would you have preferred a 19" or 21"? Hope this doesn't seem like a thread hijack, but it seems pretty relevent to the comparision. BTW, I'd love to have a ~2004 Tiger as a second bike myself., even though I wouldn't have any local service.
I'm happy with the 17" front wheel on my Uly, but then probably 98% of my riding has been on pavement. I wouldn't want to give up his peg-dragging ability for better dirt performance. The only place the 17" wheel seems to cause problems is in soft sand or mud.

The 19" on the Strom seems like a good compromise for a slightly more dirt-oriented bike, but I don't think I'd want a 21" on anything I did a lot of paved riding on.

There have been a few Uly riders clamoring here and at Badweb for a 19" front wheel, but nobody's gone to the trouble to convert one. OTOH, I followed Strom's closely before the Uly came out and a guy on the Yahoo Strom Troopers group did a 17" front conversion on his Strom.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #73
tactical-T
TreeStump

Oddometer: 569
I'm glad I found this thread, it's been fun to read. I currently own a r1150r rockster. It's a good bike and has a certain "cool" factor that I like. I have 21k on the clock, not entirely trouble free. I'm looking for something different. I do my own PM on the bike but even that gets expensive. You pretty much have to buy BMW everything. Don't get me wrong, BMW makes a great product and I've enjoyed my bike. I'm just over the "BMW-isms" that one has to deal with when owning a B-mer. Some people dig that and that's cool. Breeze, I also commute about 40+ one way. My B-mer has no windscreen, no big deal. I have heated grips but when it's sub 40f outside the wind blows all the warmth away.
I rode the Tiger today and I was impresed. The engine is sweet, smooth and powerful. I gave it a good blip from a stop sign and the front end lifted right off the ground. Feels way more responsive than my rockster. You can get ABS and heated grips. This one had hand guards that protect your mits from wind, rain and cold. It may not seem like a big deal, but in January it makes a difference. The Triumph side bags were lame but that was the only fault I could see. I'd order mine without. I have 30" inseam (on a good day) and even with the normal seat on the Tiger I felt confident with toes on the ground. I'll still most likely get the short seat. The Triumph feels less top heavy than my B-mer as well. The lightness of the feel made it a joy to wiggle around in the parking lot. I think the Tiger will be my next bike.

Just to put this out there, I'm also considering the f800GS. Like everyone is saying, (and they're right), get this bike if you want to mix some dirt in to your riding. I also own a XR650L so if I do get the f800, the honda would go away. If I get the Tiger, I keep the Honda, simple as that. I also rode the f800ST. That is a cool little bike. If I were you I would ride and compare that with the Tiger if you can't decide between B-mer or Triumph. The f800ST is a crisp handling sharp little bike. The engine however, was a little buzzy. I for one like the Triumph. More power and to me a little more cool factor and the sound...sweeeet.

And finally, One of my good friends owns a Weestrom 650. Great bike. He has a ton of trouble free miles on it and he rides the exact same route to work as I do. He rides the hell out of it! When we ride together he's usually ahead of me. He's a tallented rider and he gets the most out of that DL. The Wee-strom is a good bike but not the sexiest of the bunch. My buddy does'nt mind. He gets a kick out of smoking young GSXR riding squids on his "old man bike" side bags and all.
Ride em all and make a dicision. Someone said it really well a couple of posts ago when he said "the bike picks you". Thanks for reading my rambling.

For what it's worth
-T
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #74
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,117
Happy Tiger owner, as too the question on if I would like a 19" wheel, nope. The Tiger is light, but it is too heavy to be thinking of off road other than just riding, no tough stuff. It is a road bike.

Very smooth, and plenty of power. Can be lowered easily, panels and stuff come off for easy PM with just one allen wrench, I like that as I do all my own work.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #75
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout
I'm pretty familiar with the Suzuki's (I owned a dealership for 6 years) and currently have the DL1000. I've ridden both the 650 and 1000 extensively, both on and off-road. If you've got a 32" or less inseam go for the 650, if you've got over 34" go with the 1000. In between it's a toss-up. It's not because of the seat height difference but because of the whole seat to pegs to bars ratios. A friend even has a 650 with the 1000 seat and for me (6'3" with 34" inseam) anything but the 1000 is just uncomfortable.
Where did you get your information regarding the seat to pegs to bars ratio? From what I've read, the only difference in ergos is the seat.