Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #76
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
I rode my R1100RL up to visit the Suzuki dealer yesterday. I asked a lot of questions about the shiny black DL1000 V-Strom they had on the floor. They offered me a test ride. I accepted the offer.

The V-Strom had me at "hello", as they say. It's amazing how much better it is than the BMW R1100R.

When I got back they had worked up the numbers, and I liked them. I made them throw in a centerstand, and we had a deal.

I rode the V-Strom home. Barely slept at all last night.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #77
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Mrbreeze - Well looks like we can finally end this thread. +1 on the 1000 - the Wee is good, but prefer the xtra grunt & dual exhaust sound of the Vee. Adds a 'wee' bit of weight, but at 70mph, who notices ? Its morning now, so ya can switch from sleep to ride mode. Happy Trails, j
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #78
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
I rode my R1100RL up to visit the Suzuki dealer yesterday. I asked a lot of questions about the shiny black DL1000 V-Strom they had on the floor. They offered me a test ride. I accepted the offer.

The V-Strom had me at "hello", as they say. It's amazing how much better it is than the BMW R1100R.

When I got back they had worked up the numbers, and I liked them. I made them throw in a centerstand, and we had a deal.

I rode the V-Strom home. Barely slept at all last night.
Congrats!!! May you have many, many trouble free miles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #79
Kidder
Poser

Oddometer: 493
Congratulations!
Old 08-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #80
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Congrats! I went through the same process a bit over a year ago (minus the BMW), and made the same decision. The Uly shook too much at low RPM and was too $$$ (local dealer wouldn't deal at all), the Truimph had a nice engine but I didn't find much else to like about it. The Wee was surprisingly capable, but lacking a bit of excitement.

I bought the '08 Vee and have been more than happy. The buffeting thing is a pain but otherwise it's exceeded expectations. I still look at the Uly and wonder "what if" but I haven't regretted my Vee purchase for a second.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #81
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
Well, I liked the F800GS but I knew it was not the best fit for me. I like the Uly but one of the reasons I wanted off my old BMW was because of it's quirks, and I was afraid I would just be getting a different set of quirks with the Buell. I like the Tiger and I felt it would be a good fit, but it is quite a bit more money than the V-Strom, and the dealer was asking me to pay full retail on a 2008 model. I didn't make a counter offer because I was scared they would accept it

The V-Strom spoke to me as soon as I walked into the showroom. I saw it as soon immediately, lurking there on the back wall, beyond all the other bikes eager to be adopted. It's blackness stood out. I looked at it, and a salesman asked if I had any questions. I said "no" and walked off to look at other bikes. I looked at the DL650, brilliant in it's orange livery. There were a couple of FZ1's vying for my attention, but my mind was still on the black one in the back of the room. I went outside and looked at some used bikes. Nothing. I went next door to the Honda dealer. They had some fire sale prices on their bikes, but nothing that interested me.

Back to the Suzuki dealership to look at the big V-Strom again. The offered me a test ride. It was pretty much all over after that...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #82
Craig Thomas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Thumb

Quote:

The Tiger is way cool. I like the fit and finish and I hear the motor is great. The one I am looking at does not have ABS though, and I don't like the Triumph luggage at all, but there does not seem to be a lot of aftermarket luggage available for this bike - but there is Givi, and I like Givi. This bike is a new 2008 model, but the dealer doesn't seem to eager to come off the price.
I just bought a new 2008 Tiger one week ago for $9,599 before taxes a and fees. That's $1,600 off MSRP. Don't forget, Triumph is also offering $1,000 in accessories or clothes if you pay cash, or 5.9% financing. Price OTD was $11,479.
Craig Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 PM   #83
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Like the Uly, I think the wind buffeting maybe reduced significantly with a set of Palmer brackets and a new windshield. I went with a 16" Parabellum - great combo.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #84
TwoShots
Vagabond

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
The V-Strom spoke to me as soon as I walked into the showroom. I saw it as soon immediately, lurking there on the back wall, beyond all the other bikes eager to be adopted. It's blackness stood out. I looked at it, and a salesman asked if I had any questions. I said "no" and walked off to look at other bikes. I looked at the DL650, brilliant in it's orange livery. There were a couple of FZ1's vying for my attention, but my mind was still on the black one in the back of the room. I went outside and looked at some used bikes. Nothing. I went next door to the Honda dealer. They had some fire sale prices on their bikes, but nothing that interested me.

Back to the Suzuki dealership to look at the big V-Strom again. The offered me a test ride. It was pretty much all over after that...
Great play-by-play. You make it seem as though the bikes were talking to you and there was no way you would let them think you're a pushover.
TwoShots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #85
IdahoBuelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Congrats on your new bike,should do well for you,hope you have many miles of safe riding

Wingspan,Congrats! I went through the same process a bit over a year ago (minus the BMW), and made the same decision. The Uly shook too much at low RPM and was too $$$ (local dealer wouldn't deal at all), the Truimph had a nice engine but I didn't find much else to like about it. The Wee was surprisingly capable, but lacking a bit of excitement.

I bought the '08 Vee and have been more than happy. The buffeting thing is a pain but otherwise it's exceeded expectations. I still look at the Uly and wonder "what if" but I haven't regretted my Vee purchase for a second.

WOW! Same thing happened to me but w/ an 07 vstrom,rode it 10,000 miles then I went back and bought a Uly
IdahoBuelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #86
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoBuelly

WOW! Same thing happened to me but w/ an 07 vstrom,rode it 10,000 miles then I went back and bought a Uly
I wanted a Uly BAD... until I rode it. I really, really, really hated that low rpm Harley shake. It gave me a headache in city traffic. Otherwise, it was a ball to ride (so long as I kept it above 3k rpm). Despite my misgivings about the vibes, I did talk to the dealer about ordering an '08 but found they wouldn't work with me at all. MSRP + tax + $750 set-up!!!!! Those numbers made the Uly ~$4200 more than the V-strom. Even after setting the Vee up with every conceivable farkle I wanted, I was still a few grand up on the Buell.

Maybe I'll pick up a used one someday.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #87
IdahoBuelly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingspan
I wanted a Uly BAD... until I rode it. I really, really, really hated that low rpm Harley shake. It gave me a headache in city traffic. Otherwise, it was a ball to ride (so long as I kept it above 3k rpm). Despite my misgivings about the vibes, I did talk to the dealer about ordering an '08 but found they wouldn't work with me at all. MSRP + tax + $750 set-up!!!!! Those numbers made the Uly ~$4200 more than the V-strom. Even after setting the Vee up with every conceivable farkle I wanted, I was still a few grand up on the Buell.

Maybe I'll pick up a used one someday.

Too bad they did all of the mark up..Oh well you've got a great bike anyhow...Safe riding
IdahoBuelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #88
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 849
05 Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker
How was the '05 Tiger for wind noise? From your post it sounds like it wasn't a problem. Stock windscreen?
I had a Cee Bailey winscreen on the 05 Tiger. I actually liked the 955I Tiger"s engine better for the twisties. If it would not have been for the look of the 05 Tiger I would have kept it longer. Now I am on several forums seeking to see what kind of Sport Tourer I can trade the Big Time farkled Speed Triple for. I am know starting to lean toward the 2008 Buell Ulysses XB12XT. I do not get into the Harley Mystic at all. I have had 48 bikes(one was a Harley Sportster).
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #89
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac28
I have ridden all these bikes except for the Uly. I have owned a vstroom 650 for two years, and have quite a few miles on a DL1000 as well. I have ridden the 800GS and 1200GS. I have also owned a KTM 950 adventure.

I bought a used 1050 Tiger recently and it's the most satisfying-to-ride motorcycle I have ever owned. The triple engine is amazing, and makes one of the best sounds in motorcycling when you are on the pipe at about 5-6k rpm.

The bike looks great (to me), has good brakes and suspension - leagues better than a vstrom, still better than any GS - is practical, comfortable, and not everyone has one, which I like. Wind buffeting? Yeah, all these bikes have that. Even my FJR had it. Buy a goldwing if that's what you are concerned with primarily.

I get over 50 mpg which is what I got on the 650 strom with half the power.

My suggestion: ride them all and buy whatever one floats your boat. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's your bike.
I had a GL1800A and found it to have buffeting till I went thru about 3 different windshields. The quietest bikes from the wind are the naked bikes or my 1994 VFR 750. I could ride that bike w/o ear plugs.
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #90
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,238
We don't get the Ulys here, but I wouldn't have gotten one anyway. I just think they're ugly bikes. Same thing with the Wee... reliable, yes but I wasn't in the market for reliability... I wanted to get a bike that, like others had said "talked to me".

I considered the 990 Adventure for off-road performance and the great experience I have had with several KTMs.

In the end I got the F800GS. This is my dream bike: design, performance (on & off road), ergonomics and maneuverability in traffic (here in Cracas bikes are ridden in between lanes).

My brother got the 990 Adventure, so I have had the chance to ride both. NO REGRETS on my side, allthough Bro has been thinking of trading in his 990 Adventure for an F800GS.

Get the bike that gives you the most satisfation, no matter what anyone says... Nothing like getting the grin on your face every time you ride the bike you love
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote