Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #91
Mr.Moose
Living the Adventure

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze
I rode my R1100RL up to visit the Suzuki dealer yesterday. I asked a lot of questions about the shiny black DL1000 V-Strom they had on the floor. They offered me a test ride. I accepted the offer.

The V-Strom had me at "hello", as they say. It's amazing how much better it is than the BMW R1100R.

When I got back they had worked up the numbers, and I liked them. I made them throw in a centerstand, and we had a deal.

I rode the V-Strom home. Barely slept at all last night.
That's very cool, There's nothing like finding the bike that works best for you,and your needs.
Mr.Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:27 PM   #92
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
A friend of mine had to take his Uly to the dealer a few hours away for some warranty work. The bike was ready but due to his work schedule, he wasn't going to be able to pick the bike up before the weekend. Being the good friend I am, I offered to take the bus 3+ hrs to pick it up and ride it back for him. It gave me an opportunity to have a good test ride.

My impressions:

- the shaking took a bit of getting used to.
- the riding compartment is a bit larger than my DR, but still comfortable.
- I liked the seat (compared to my DR, it was heaven).
- it has lots of jam and will cruise at 80mph without breaking a sweat.
- it is great in the twisties.

All-in-all, I thought it was a really nice bike. I'm not sure I would buy one, but it would be a great bike for touring.

Of the bikes listed here though, the Tiger is still the one I'd like. I thought the 955i was the one I'd want, but I sat on a new 1050 last weekend and it was nice. Again, if I was only doing highway touring, the 1050 would be great, but the wheel sizes of the 1050, as with the Uly, limit things, IMO.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:14 PM   #93
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Thumb

Mrbreeze, I am glad you picked(well, IT picked YOU) your bike. My first bike I ever owned was a Triumph TT600, that bike would have killed me if I had kept it. I bought a KLR and LOVED IT, farkled it up and had a blast. Then traded it for a used 06 Uly. The vibes from the single cylinder KLR had the low RPM vibes beat by a mile IMO. I had ridden a Wee one time, and liked it but it just wasnt for me. I had the KLR offroad several times, and found out that the road was the place my riding needed to happen. Thats why I traded it for the Uly. After a month(or less) of owning the Uly, I totaled it, but had a blast riding it until then although it was a bit heavier than I was used to. Went bikeless for about 8 months and now own an 07 VFR. I like it alot. Problem is, that bike isnt perfect for long rides, and I dont want to spend 1100 bucks on side bags for it. Called a Buell dealer today and got financed for an 08 Uly XT The Triumph wasnt even a thought for me because of the lack of dealers in my area, there was one 40 miles away, but I was told they closed it. I would love to ride a Tiger just to see if I like it though. When I walked into the Harley/Buell dealership last year the Uly spoke to me like the Vee spoke to you. Good luck, safe and happy riding!!
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #94
mrbreeze OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,642
I have had the V-Strom a little over a month now. We turned over 2000 miles yesterday. I am still very happy with this bike. I have added the gel seat - I liked the stock seat but thought it could be better for long rides. I haven't gone very far on the gel seat yet, but it seems to be better. I also added the touring windshield yesterday. Verdict is still out on that, but it does deflect the wind better at sane speeds. doesn't look as nice tho.

All in all, I really like this bike. The V-Strom ROCKS!

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #95
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,606
can't believe this thread has grown this long.
this is easy:

F800GS = closest thing to a true Adventure Enduro
Weestrom = stands alone - "Can do" darn near anything if you have guts, but not an "Adventure Enduro". "Adventure-touring" yes. Pack mule, mountain goat, swiss-army-bike, ugly but personable, never-say-die, spunk-a-licious, you-are-the-weakest-link kind of bike

Vstrom, Tiger 1050, Ulysses all three are roadbikes. really belong in Road Warriors
Different without distinctive - Could add another dozen bikes to the three... all about the same boiling down to personal preference
Zapp22 is online now   Reply With Quote