Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 04:07 AM   #61
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
I suppose I should just say at this point, this account is taken from my own perspective and don't neccesarily hold the same views as the others, but you'd probably already guessed that!
Also, I've tried to use my own photos whenever possible but have nabbed some off the others to tell my story.
timolgra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #62
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Baz was now revelling in it A novice offroader to start with, he employed the 'feck it, I'll nail the throttle technique', on most occasions it worked although it did result in a few big crashes through out the trip

Many was the time he'd come to me and say "fecking awesome mate, thanks for bringing me here". Well I didn't bring him, he got himself here, and I chose him because of this positive attitude...top bloke...despite being a copper

The sand trap eventually spits us out..... but there'll be more waiting.

It's just a matter of finding them....

timolgra1 screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 04:41 AM
Old 08-20-2009, 04:27 AM   #63
ziarn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Mongoliaaaaa ... I love youuuuuuu ...
Amazing trip, I envy you.
Subscribed
ziarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:13 AM   #64
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Following an incredible fast ride across the smooth and vast flatland just north of the Gobi we encountered a violent storm sweeping across our path.

No photos sorry.

A big black twister reaches from the dark forbidding sky down to the ground off to our side but cutting across our track.
Baz chases off after it. Why? I don't know ....or perhaps I do. He returns defeated, it had changed it's course and we were free to move on.

We press on in a northerly direction looking for somewhere to stay out of the wind.

We roll into a tiny windswept village, there's a small shop and I buy some more 'Choco Pi's, I loved these and bought them wherever I could.

A woman takes us back to the family compound and we can stay there. The whole family moves out of their home and into a shed next door, they continue preparing the food which must have been their own meal.
They have a TV!!!
We sit and drink hot sweet chi and can all sleep on their floor after eating.

It's been a long day.

Fatty mutton and homemade pasta is soon ready to be eaten. Yummy.

I chat with the elder man who proudly shows me his meager vegetable patch, I give him a miniture bottle of brandy as thanks for their hospitalty, I do hope he enjoyed it.
In the morning we're given a great breakfast which didn't include any mutton.

Bypassing their savage dog, morning ablusions are completed without mishap.

And we head out once more into the vast landscape.

And on it goes

timolgra1 screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 06:12 AM
Old 08-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #65
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I spent a great deal time beforehand thinking of our route in Mongolia and wanted to see as much variety there as the month long visa allowed.
We couldn't go to Mongolia and not experience parts of the Gobi now could we.

If you study the 'road map' of Mongolia you'll notice that to go west from UB there are two main routes.
The southern would skirt the northern edge of the Gobi but would frankly get boring after a while.
The northern would probably be more interesting but carry more traffic.
A downside to using either are the more well used routes have bad corrugations and bike breaking stones in the hard packed surface, as we found out.

So I opted to find the lesser used routes for several reasons, avoiding the above, navigation would become more of a challenge and the people we met along the way would somehow be more who I was hoping to find.

So for now, that's enough of this.

Let's keep heading north and west to see what we can find.

Eventually we do find a paradise, but that's much later....
Old 08-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #66
Whatton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Keep it coming Tim, top class report, thank you
Whatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:28 AM   #67
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 6,808
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #68
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was a fair way ahead at this time so this is one of Pete's photos who was riding with Baz.

It's easy to become complacent after long periods of smoothish surfaces so I can imagined his panic as Baz locks his rear brake and skids towards this, only just stopping in time.
A couple of feet to the right would've been ok, if he hadn't seen it in time it would have destroyed his bike and perhaps him with it considering the speeds we were often riding.

Perhaps this was where that so important luck stepped in.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 AM   #69
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
The absolute dogs bollocks! Fantastic read. Brilliant! Subscribed

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #70
tracyprier
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
An amazing journey :)

Tell me, what riding pants are you using? I've not seen them before? they look pretty hardcore!

cheers
Tracy
tracyprier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #71
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyprier
An amazing journey :)

Tell me, what riding pants are you using? I've not seen them before? they look pretty hardcore!

cheers
Tracy
I've tried all sorts of gear over the years and came back to Hein Gericke 'Tuareg', this style has been out of production for a few years but ebay came to my rescue (again).
Old 08-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #72
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

When we first entered Mongolia I'd only know Dennis a day, we were discussing listening to music whilst riding across Russia and I proudly began to get my Iriver player and moulded ear plugs with built in moniters from my top pocket. I'd also left a bar of chocolate in there, it'd melted, coating the whole lot in a sticky brown mess!
I pulled them out dispondantly just as Dennis walked past, "you're suppose to stick em in yer ears, not up your ass" he said, quick as a flash

Dennis could talk the hind legs off a kangaroo but I always loved listening to his stories and missed them when we parted.

His top box was his pantry. It had it all. Stove, coffee,food, herbs and spices, fruit, you name it, it was there.
Now this system worked perfectly well under normal riding conditions but the rough conditions caused chaos to his 'system'.
Black, rancid bananas mixed themselves with coffee and powdered milk which in turn spread over his stove, peanut butter jars broke and mixed with curry powder. You get the picture.
Dennis takes it all in his stride "oh bugger, look whats happened here" we'd all peer into the mess of his top box with as you can imagine, little sympathy

His Australian accent and expressions were rubbing off on us as well.

Next morning after this next photo was taken, Dennis goes for a walk behind some rocks armed with his 'date roll', "I'm just going to snap one off" he informs us, ten minutes later he's back "Oh bugger, I went and sat in it". It was another day before we found a river for him to have a good wash in.

So here he is, as laid back as ever. We've all got a tents up and getting food on, Dennis lies back in the sun, "there's pleny of time for all that"...a good lesson from a seasoned traveller.

We'd been running out of decent tobacco but eventually got some which the Mongolians smoke, it was more like wood shavings and tasted disgusting, but of course better than nothing.
Dennis finally managed to roll one, "what do you reckon mate?" as if straight from Crocodile Dundee he says "well you can smoke it, but it tastes like sh*t".

Old 08-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #73
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Camped up close to one of the 'main roads' and the school bus passes.

Always inquisitive, always helpful a local stops by to help Baz put his tarp up.

Set up for the night.

We do some male bonding

More Dorset flag riding

Out for a walk in the evening and I watch the horses return to...wherever horses return to.

We pass the time of day.

Locals on their way home.

Then soak it all up before sleep.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 AM   #74
timolgra1 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

We've come up from the Gobi proper and are now on the more southerly routes going west I mentioned earlier. We need to go west for a day before heading north into the even more remote mountains.
So this is THE main route west.

There's more settlements alongside this road.

More great people along the way.

The equivalent of a motorway service station, except here people talk to you!!

And we talk to them.

When Mongolians approach out of nowhere, they tend to stare at you and your machine in wonderment before carefully and respectfully interacting.
We compare horse and motorcycle, I check out his saddle and stirrups, he checks out mine.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #75
Uzay
Adventure Dreamer

Oddometer: 6,765
Great write up, beautiful pics, exciting trip, thanks for bringing those to us

Ride till the end, until the end

KTM 950 Adv
Uzay is offline   Reply With Quote