Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #76
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
Great ride report! Thank you for sharing.

You mentioned that some of your friends have Pony Steel Gascoyne panniers...does any of them happen to have a F800GS? If so, what rack are they using with the panniers (if any) and do they find the optional heat shield necessary?
A bit off the topic, but would appreciate any help available on finally deciding between hard and soft panniers.

-Miikka
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #77
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Great report!! Thnx for posting.

Behind this roadhouse there's a workshop with a junkyard behind it. On that junkyard there should be a white Mazda 929 hardtop with a blown headgasket and grooved cylinders. That was my first big mechanical breakdown with a vehikel ever :)
MIOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #78
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 126
OzBen, thanks for the input! Have to contact Steel Pony guys and ask about shipping costs and such. Might be a bit more than a postcard fee to ship those all the way to Finland, but because of your story/input those panniers just made their way on top of my Very short list of soft panniers.

-Miikka
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #79
LadyLisa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
great trip

It is great to look in on your adventure. Crossing the Nularbor was a feat in and of itself. You are really taking the tour of OZ seriously! Goodonya Mate!
LadyLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:53 PM   #80
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Bloody excellent report mate. I rode a lot of these roads in the late 1980's on a K75s and a R100S. A lot a great memories just flooded the old noodle.
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #81
aussiestrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
It's approaching midnight here in St. Louis, but like any good novel, I just can't put it down. On to Page 3 !!
Previous rides: ST1300; G650Xch; KLR650; ST1100; WR250F; K100TIC; K100RS; K75s; R100RS; R100/7; K100; XV1000; GS450s; GT250
aussiestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:17 AM   #82
SauS TaR-TaR
Go BaBy Go...

Oddometer: 469

"The Road May End... But Brotherhood Is Never End..."
SauS TaR-TaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #83
Morinite
KLRista

Oddometer: 116
Questions about Oz

Mr OZBEN, hello from the centre of Canada. I wanted to tell you I enjoyed your RR of your journey through your country / continent. I have a couple of questions for you if you have the time.

I think the way you Aussie’s speak is so cool, in a strange kind of way, “g-day’ (hilarious)… Anyway when you say “Corrugations” are you referring to the uniform bumpy dirt road conditions? We (Can / US) call it “wash-board road”. It can be real bad at intersections and t-junctions. It’s especially bad on bikes.

“Caravans”, are these campers? We call them RV’s, some of them can get ridiculously big here not to mention slow on the highway.

“Bull Dust Holes” are those made by bulls or camels? (I’m not trying to be a smartass) Or are they a natural condition on the roads. Wee have moose here and they can “bed down” on trails. Sometimes we get sink holes after rains and the ground settles differently depending on soil conditions (are these similar?).

I’ve always wanted to go to Australia and travel the “Outback”. Are some of those roads you were on used by the infamous “Truck trains”? Did you encounter any? I watched a show on “Discovery” a while back and it was crazy.

Are there many pre 08 Kaw KLR’s in Oz? I have an 06 and I do want to ride down there but, I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy one there or ship mine. What season is it best to ride down there? I know you’re seasons are backwards from ours. I don’t want to hit the hottest time of year (we Canucks don’t do real hot weather well +20-25c is fair eh?).

Lastly is there a place there called “Walkabout Creek”?

Thanks and cheers from the great white north (it’s spring right now).

Morinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:48 PM   #84
tompee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morinite
Mr OZBEN, hello from the centre of Canada. I wanted to tell you I enjoyed your RR of your journey through your country / continent. I have a couple of questions for you if you have the time.

I think the way you Aussie’s speak is so cool, in a strange kind of way, “g-day’ (hilarious)… Anyway when you say “Corrugations” are you referring to the uniform bumpy dirt road conditions? We (Can / US) call it “wash-board road”. It can be real bad at intersections and t-junctions. It’s especially bad on bikes.

“Caravans”, are these campers? We call them RV’s, some of them can get ridiculously big here not to mention slow on the highway.

“Bull Dust Holes” are those made by bulls or camels? (I’m not trying to be a smartass) Or are they a natural condition on the roads. Wee have moose here and they can “bed down” on trails. Sometimes we get sink holes after rains and the ground settles differently depending on soil conditions (are these similar?).

I’ve always wanted to go to Australia and travel the “Outback”. Are some of those roads you were on used by the infamous “Truck trains”? Did you encounter any? I watched a show on “Discovery” a while back and it was crazy.

Are there many pre 08 Kaw KLR’s in Oz? I have an 06 and I do want to ride down there but, I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy one there or ship mine. What season is it best to ride down there? I know you’re seasons are backwards from ours. I don’t want to hit the hottest time of year (we Canucks don’t do real hot weather well +20-25c is fair eh?).

Lastly is there a place there called “Walkabout Creek”?

Thanks and cheers from the great white north (it’s spring right now).
I know this was addressed to Mr Ozben, but hey, I'm here now and I see this has post has been unanswered for a while.

Corrugations: I just google-image searched
"washboard road", and yeah, that's the same thing

Caravans - I think these are what you call "camper trailers", or something. But no, they're not camper vans / RV's.

Bulldust - this is fine, powdery soil that sits on top of the ground. If you stand on it your foot will just go straight through it to the ground, it seems like it's only about 10% denser than fog ;-) I've never come across it in forrested areas or nice green farmland, it's a real desert / semi arid country thing.
In the jungle you might set a trap by digging a hole and covering with with sticks and leaves. In the desert, you dig a hole and fill it with bulldust ;-) SO, large ruts and potholes on dirt roads filled with bulldust can be very treacherous

Re: your other questions - yes, there is a place called "Walk about creek"... somewhere!

Plenty of KLR's about, check out www.bikesales.com.au, or www.tradingpost.com.au I'd guess it's less hassle to ust buy one here, although our dollar has been going a little crazy which might affect that. Not sure!

tompee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 AM   #85
tompee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
No worries, I probably should have known that a post that old would have been answered one way or another!

EDIT btw, great report and very thought provoking.... hrmmmmmm ;-)
tompee is offline   Reply With Quote