User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #1
By-tor OP
remember 6/6/44

Oddometer: 254
Red Warning Light On???????

Should I be concerned? About 2 weeks ago the red triangle warning light came on at start up. Then on the way home it was off. Now for the past 3 days it is always on right at key on and start up. Brake light and tail light are working. Should I keep riding and wait untill my next service 1000 miles from now or should I have it checked?
Thanks for your wisdom.
By-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
What bike do you have? If it is a R1200GS, I'm pretty sure that the red triangle always comes on during start up as part of the self-test. I understand that the light goes out after start up, correct?

According to the manual, if it stays on, without other lights ("brake failure", etc.), it means that the brake switch is out of position or faulty. This happended to me a few weeks ago and I was able to fix it by slightly adjusting the brake switch.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
Lottahops
Lottahops

Oddometer: 173
Red Triangle

The red triangle is always on upon turning the key on and startup. It is at this point directly tied to the ABS , as well as miany things obviously,the ABS is controlling its going out at this point. Once the bike is moving 10mph or so it will go out. that is the last check the ABS goes through before giving the green light (no red triangle). If your red Trangle stays on after riding around and you have dont nothing out of the ordinary then there may be a problem. Also, if you disable the ABS the red light will be solid instead of blinking and will not go out until the bike is turned off.
If this sounds about right for hwat you are experiencing, welcome to the wonderful world of BMW motorcycles!

Lottahops

VicSternberg Jr.
Las Vegas, NV

07' GSA
Lottahops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #4
Mojaveboxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottahops
Also, if you disable the ABS the red light will be solid instead of blinking and will not go out until the bike is turned off.
If this sounds about right for hwat you are experiencing, welcome to the wonderful world of BMW motorcycles!
On the 08 GS's you can reset the ABS without turning off the bike. Just push the button. Must be stopped to disengage and re-engage the system.
Mojaveboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
ruedaloca
just me

Oddometer: 446
It also could be a voltage drop, keep watching the battery capacity and weak power symptoms.
Looking for a house or apartment at El Salvador ? your solution is here !!
ruedaloca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
By-tor OP
remember 6/6/44

Oddometer: 254
I replaced the battery recently (about 3 months ago). The oem battery was about 4 years old so I replaced it as a precaution. I have been riding like this for about a week now. Red light stays on all the time and the brakes work great.
By-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #7
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,851
Do you happen to have a battery outline displayed on the LCD, too? Solid red with the battery icon indicates insufficient battery charge current. First thing I'd do is check the battery terminals and make sure they are nice and tight.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
pwrslider
#1 longest lurking n00b

Oddometer: 65
HELP...me too on my 04 1150gs

Past couple of weeks....the red triangle exclamation point lite went on after going off...after start up. Usually I would shut down...then restart and the lite goes off. Then the past few days....it stays on regardless. I remembered something about maybe its a brake lite issue...and sure enuf...the tail was on, but no brake lite. so...I get a new bulb...and lights work great...but the lite is on constantly now. Everything else works great..brakes...abs etc.

Any ideas on how to get the light off....without smashing the little screen!!

UPDATE: 10-8-09...NEVER EVER trust a bulb. Turns out the "new" bulb i got and put on was faulty. Got a better new bulb and problem solved.

pwrslider screwed with this post 10-08-2009 at 10:55 AM
pwrslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #9
mpillis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Mine also

After putting some grip puppies on I had the same problem. I thought what the hell could I have screwed up. Turned out that when I put the hand guards back on that the front brake lever was hitting the inside of the hand guard and not releasing completely. Thank goodness. Easy fix
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
mpillis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
Kevin-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I have this problem aswell had the bike parked in car park last 23 days as i went on holiday. Just home and started it up

On the on board computer it reads 1.6 2.0

Anybody any ideas?

Bike is F650gs 5 mths old
Kevin- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #11
Kevin-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Tyre pressure
Kevin- is offline   Reply With Quote