User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 AM   #1
turbosneeze OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
1987 CH150 Elite Starting Issues

I have a 1987 Elite 150 and it is having starting issues. Here are the symptons and behavior.

- After parking for a while (30-45+ mins), it will have a very hard time starting.
- If I hold the start button down for 10 seconds and keep flicking the kill switch on and off, it will eventually start. Usually after 3-4 attemps.
- Once it starts, 99% of time it will fun fine till I turn it off. However, sometimes it will die intermittently on the road and I will have to repeat the same process as above all over again.
- At first, I thought it was the carb or petcock valve, but I've since replaced the petcock valve and cleaned out the carb.
- When it is having issues starting up, I pulled the plug and it was getting no spark. I kept cranking and flicking the kill switch on and off with plug out (placing close to the frame). Once I see spark on the plug, I re-inserted it back to the engine and the Elite will start right up.
- This is leading me to believe it is something electrical. Something is causing it to get spark randomly. I am thinking maybe the Ignition Module (CDI?) or the coil and sparkplug wire.

Does anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, can you help me out. I have also cleaned the negative post connection to make sure it had a good ground connection. So, I don't think this is the issue.

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.
turbosneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #2
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,263
Kill switch? If you have a wiring diagram see if you can bypass the kill switch. I can't remember if it's normally open or closed in the run position.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Rich_SC
Yamaha C3

Oddometer: 8
I never used the kill switch for on/off. Too easy to forget and leave the keys in the on position and drain the battery...I just would always keep the kill to on and use the key for on/off. Sounds like a wiring issue with the kill switch...
Rich_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
tcjames.yu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
I have had the same symptons too, it caused by the CDI or the coil's problem, replace them and everything willl be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosneeze
I have a 1987 Elite 150 and it is having starting issues. Here are the symptons and behavior.

- After parking for a while (30-45+ mins), it will have a very hard time starting.
- If I hold the start button down for 10 seconds and keep flicking the kill switch on and off, it will eventually start. Usually after 3-4 attemps.
- Once it starts, 99% of time it will fun fine till I turn it off. However, sometimes it will die intermittently on the road and I will have to repeat the same process as above all over again.
- At first, I thought it was the carb or petcock valve, but I've since replaced the petcock valve and cleaned out the carb.
- When it is having issues starting up, I pulled the plug and it was getting no spark. I kept cranking and flicking the kill switch on and off with plug out (placing close to the frame). Once I see spark on the plug, I re-inserted it back to the engine and the Elite will start right up.
- This is leading me to believe it is something electrical. Something is causing it to get spark randomly. I am thinking maybe the Ignition Module (CDI?) or the coil and sparkplug wire.

Does anyone ever experienced anything like this? If so, can you help me out. I have also cleaned the negative post connection to make sure it had a good ground connection. So, I don't think this is the issue.

Thanks in advance for you help and advice.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,761
Look up elite 250 yahoo group. Someone there might help. You might have warn or coroded contact inside the switch. If you unbolt it and spray a shoot of contact cleaner it might help. Do you have to hold down the rear brake to start it as with the elite 250? If so that switch can be part of the problem. help that helps.
fullmetalscooter is offline   Reply With Quote