User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #1
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
KLR countershaft seal part?

I can't figure out if I have a chain lube accumulation or an oil leak (it looks more like an oil leak every time I look though, and I did have to top her off yesterday which is something I usually never do). It looks like replacing the oil seal on the countershaft is really a pretty easy job, but I can't tell what part is the seal from looking at the Bike Bandit fiche. Can anybody help me out?

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #2
vatrader01
vatrader01

Oddometer: 1,164
Part#'s

These are OEM parts. #'s are from Kawasaki fiche.
Collar 92027-1800
O-Ring 92055-1293
Oil seal 92049-1159

West Virginia Tag-O-Rama Map

vatrader01 screwed with this post 08-20-2009 at 06:16 AM
vatrader01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatrader01
Part#'s

These are OEM parts. #'s are from Kawasaki fiche.
Collar 92027-1800
O-Ring 92055-1293
Oil seal 92049-1159
Okay, so all of those are needed... On the diagram, I couldn't tell if I needed one or all. Thanks!

Old 08-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #4
vatrader01
vatrader01

Really check the bearing good while you are in there. The reason the seals usually go bad are due to an over heating bearing. That heat often brought about by an over tight drive chain. Not always, but a primary suspect. The chain only needs to be too tight long enough for heat from the over-tensioned bearing to damage the seals. It may take some time for the heat damaged seals to deteriorate to the point of leaking. I would spring for a can of Brake Cleaner and tidy things up both at the counter sprocket and rear sprocket areas, and with a dry as possible chain, ride it. I have my counter shaft cover off right now and it looks like I sprung a gusher in there. I lube chains / sprockets with ATF. I suspect the majority of the ATF is flung off under that counter shaft cover, considering the tight radius of the countershaft sprocket and RPM's. I get a little carried away with chain lubing. You know, if a little bit is good, a lot must be better. A true KLRista will lube the chain with the drainings of oil bottles, and makes it difficult to determine where that oil under that cover is coming from.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
El Guero OP
V4 Whore

Yep, I'm used to the chain lube mess. It's been a little more than usually lately though, and I did just put a few ounces of oil in the bike (although I haven't changed it for about 2000 miles or so). It could be burning oil I guess, but it doesn't have a history of that. Oil seeps on the other hand...

Old 08-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #6
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,307
I always considered that leak to be my KLR's automatic chain oiler. Other bikes need that as a separately purchased addition.

The other benefit is that because the rate of oil loss would be about a crankcase-amount when other bikes would need an oil change, I'll never have to change the KLR oil or filter.

You mean those aren't true?
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,099
+1
Be sure the bearing is okay. If the bearing develops too much lateral play due to wear, the seal can't do it's job.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,370
Anybody have a link to a procedural outline? I'm thinking it won't be so simple to pry that little seal out from around the countershaft...

Thanks
DirtyDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
vatrader01
vatrader01

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
Anybody have a link to a procedural outline? I'm thinking it won't be so simple to pry that little seal out from around the countershaft...

Thanks
I've had no troubles with the ones I've worked on. I used a dental pick thingy to work the seal that is seated at the case out. The O-ring was just a simple remove. Pry, lift, roll, remove. When replacing the seal, [not the O ring, the seal] like fork seals, there is a right side out. That, in this case [the seal], the correct side out is the SMOOTH SIDE. When replacing, keep the seal flush with case.