User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,577
Tail racks, YAY!

O.K., I have a finished racks finally available! As I said, they are 1/8" 5052 aluminum alloy, slots for bungee hooks, and large holes in the supports that will accommodate ratchet strap hooks. After weighing the finish option between powder coated, anodized, and a simple brushed finish I am sticking with the brushed. First, it helps keep cost down, plus is gives a bit of anti slip to the cargo plate, and it looks nice. 1/8" may seem a bit thin, but once all the parts are welded together these are strong! The total weight of the rack (excluding spacers and bolts) is 1 pound 10 ounces. Price on these is $100.oo, plus shipping (about $11 to Cali, less the closer you are to Ohio). My goal was to provide a more functional and more cost effective alternative to the TT rack, and have it look cool on the bike.
These will work with Hepco Becker pannier racks, or with your stock grab handles! Plus all the hardware you need is alread there.

Now I just hope there is enough interest in these to get a couple out on bikes so I can get feedback for future products. Here are some pics, sorry my bike is still in the shop so no on bike pics yet.

This was the first one we welded, so we were a little too hot and made a bubble, you can see the up turned tail and down turned sides, sorry the George is for scale, not included:

The not-so-soft underbelly:

Closeup of the ratchet strap hook anchor point, there are two forward and two rearward of the top plate, sized to fit the hooks on most ratchet straps:

Right now I have 6 available, and could punch out more, but I wanted to start with a small number so I don't get stuck with a bunch (after all, these are for the G-X bikes).

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 09-10-2009 at 02:41 PM
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,298
I moved this to Vendors and gave you your own thread.. Please keep the selling to Vendors only.

The rack looks great
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

You want one right???

Oh, and my apologize for posting it in all the threads about these bikes, I may have gotten a little over excited about my project

Now that I have achieved the dream of my own thread in Vendors, I just need to get a pic on the front page and my existence will be complete

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 08-21-2009 at 06:33 PM
Old 08-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
R80 STrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Hi Matthew ... Do you have photos of it mounted? I'm interested but also want to mount Hepco/Becker side racks and one of the side tanks out there. Maybe I just missed it. Thanks ... Dave
R80 STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Dave, thank's for asking, because I totally forgot! These were designed to work with the Hepco & Becker pannier racks. I do not have pics of the production units on the bike yet as mine is still in the shop, but here are pics of the original rough prototype on my bike with the H&B racks.

Marketing department:

Evil Director of Product Development:

Can't believe I forgot about that!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #6
jimdennis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Cool!

Good looking rack Matt. Let's include them on the Cycle Solutions web site. Another "Made in the USA" product that works!

Jim Dennis
www.cyclesolutionsllc.com
jimdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
Muddy,

Thanks for offering these, I hope you get the orders...

I was wondering if I can use my passenger handles outside the rack, I'm assuming since you can use the mounts for your side bags I can but I wanted to make sure before I made up my mind.

Thanks,
Paul
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I saw you ask the question over in your thread, so I just answered it there! Here's my reply:

Quote:
I think it would work, but the rack would be outside the handles. I designed it to work with the Hepco & Becker pannier racks, which eliminate the handles and replace them with spacers. I hadn't thought about putting them on with the original handles, but I think it would work, as the handles would take the place of the spacers. I'm going to go dig out my handles and one of the racks and take a look.

Edit, I dug out my handles and bolted them to a rack for you, I don't get my bike back until Wed. I think it would be possible to mount them inside the handles, here's a couple pics of how the handle lines up with the rack:

Man, I never even thought of being able to mount them with the handles, thanks for asking! Can't wait to get my bike back and finally get pics of the production racks mounted both ways!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #9
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,076
what about me?

Any chance of adapting these for the XR650L crowd?

They are shweet racks BTW.

Will there be "modular" options i.e. fuel canister brackets and other useful thingies?
Old 08-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #10
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I was thinking about doing the XR650L after the R1200GS. I think you will find you can secure a Scepter 1.5 gallon can to this quite well. I say Scepter because I have found they are more trail friendly than other cans. Better O-ring gaskets, they aren't always seeping fuel.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:36 AM   #11
FatherX
Java Man

Oddometer: 4,076
Thumb XLnt

I look forward to the progress.

These are cool
Old 08-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

On bike pics, finally!

Finally have my bike home and got to mount the finished rack. I did have it on with the stock handles, and totally forgot to take a pic of it. It will mount with the handles, but you need to use the original spacers, and since I designed it to work with the bigger spacers provided with the Hepco & Becker pannier racks, you need to flex the supports in to get the bolts started. For whatever reason I did get a pic of just the rack with no handles, looks good that way as well.

Feels super solid on the bike, once all the bolts are tight it's nice and rigid. So..., who's first?
Old 08-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Somber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 348
howdy Muddy,

looks great... I'd really like to come up with a way to put it on and pull it off super quick/easy... I'll work on that, but I figured I'd just mention that up front in case you had some ideas about how to do that since you have probably had that area apart and back together a lot of times by now...

Drop me a PM with specifics about how to order.

Paul/Somber
Somber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 AM   #14
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Takes about ten minutes if you have the side case racks, less with just the handles.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Bump, lowered the price on these, need them to move.