Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM   #16
R80 STrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Hey Matt Just wanted to let you know the XCountry got done today and the XChallenge is set for tomorrow. The rack fit perfectly!!! Ididnt have to pre set the rack just put it on with the Hepco Becker rack system and WA-LA! Its all good.

As you stated the rack stiffened up considerably once it was assembled.

First impressions: The installation was a snap. Everything fit better than advertised. I personally like the lightness in construction. It appears to be plenty solid enough to carry whatever Im going to place on it. Lots of bungy holes and slots as well as lips if you want to attach a spiderweb. Im taking a Dremel to the corners, just to soften them. Ill have more once weve put it to use.

Thanks again for all your help. Im going to get plenty of use out of these and I think they are a good value.

Best Dave
R80 STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #17
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by R80 STrider
I personally like the lightness in construction. It appears to be plenty solid enough to carry whatever Im going to place on it. Lots of bungy holes and slots as well as lips if you want to attach a spiderweb. Im taking a Dremel to the corners, just to soften them. Ill have more once weve put it to use.
Yeah, a little slightly smarter engineering can negate the need to add a bunch of weight trying to make something stronger. Glad you like them. If there is a second production run of these I will take your advice and round those corners off. Of course, we are gonna want to see pics of how it looks on the Challenge!

Right now I have 2 completed ones left, and 2 that need welded. All of a sudden they are gaining some fans! Looks like the next bike these will be available for will be the Honda XR650L, and then I have a scooter guy that wants something for his Yamaha Zuma.
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
R80 STrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
As soon as I get my camera back I'll take some snaps. The XChallenge mounted up this morning "easy peasey"! I'm now looking into luggage options including Sallydogs custom made panniers, the new Explorer from Hepco/Becker and Caribou cases from Roger. I'm just waiting for some other inmates to finish their products so I can contribute to their efforts.

Matt ... I know you benifit finacially "in the end result" but I just wanted to say again that I appreciate your and others efforts to make our bikes better.

Best ... Dave
R80 STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #19
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I highly recommend Rodger's Caribou set up. That's basically what I have, I just used a smaller size Pelican case and added his hardware kit to them. The Pelicans have taken a lot of abuse, and his latch kit to adapt them to Hepco Becker racks is just wonderful, and well worth the price.

Oh, and wait till you get a look at the top secret auxiliary fuel tank for the X-Country we are working on.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #20
gus007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit
Oh, and wait till you get a look at the top secret auxiliary fuel tank for the X-Country we are working on.
Interested in hearing more about the fuel tank. Hopefully at least 7 liters?
gus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:20 AM   #21
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

The X-Country fuel tank

OK, I may regret this, but I got enough emails asking about the tank that I'll give some more info. I went back and forth a bunch of times on what to do for an auxiliary tank that plumbs into the vent line. Muckapee's is never going to happen, and the the X tank is out of my price range. So we spent a lot of time looking at a very simple box shape that could be hung on the inside of the right side Hepco & Becker rack. It would be a simple shape, easy to build mount. It would only work with bikes with the H&B racks though, plus I just didn't like the idea of putting even more weight back there. Structurally and from a weight distribution perspective, it seems like not the best solution. So now that I have a really god fabricator team to work with we started talking about the only other place to put a fuel tank on these bikes, up front over the air box. The team thinks it's very doable, and not going to be as bad as I imagined to build. I know some folks are not going to like this concept, but here it is. The underside of the tank will be shaped to lay over the airbox cover and fasten down to it. It will cover parts of the black plastic, but not the grey plastic, will hopefully have a domed, rounded top with minimal angles, a fitting for plumbing into the vent line, a vented cap, and possibly some integrated anchor points for a tank bag (to help hide it of course). Probably powder coat it black so it doesn't look horrible. It would also be relativley easy off, easy on. Due to the, err, irregular shape it's really hard to say what the capacity will be, we are going to focus on building it to fit well, look halfway decent, use the space available without interfering with the bars at full turn, or the riders legs and groin, and just see what the volume is when it's done. For me personaly I would be happy with even 1 gallon up there, but hopefully more like 1.5. The first will be built from aluminum I have laying around, the bottom piece that will be the mot complicated will be cut with a jig saw (not by me, someone with a steady hand and the word 'precision' in their vocabulary). If, and I do mean IF i were to make a a production run all parts would be laser cut, and some of the seems would then be bent instead of welded. The fab team thinks we could get them out for between $300 and $400, and probably not much profit. About the only way I would make more than one would be if at least four people were willing to pony up deposits ahead of time to cover most of the production cost, I just couldn't afford to get stuck with these. This week I hope to get templates cut, and we may do a mock up out of 1/8 inch plywood or cardboard.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #22
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,049
I like the idea...but not enough to commit. I'm cheap and would probably wait for Muckpee's to save $100-200 bucks. I like the idea of a fuel cell within a tank bag. I may just wind up with a gas can on your tail rack . Who knows. I will be checking back with this one. Thank you for your commitment to help improve our bikes.
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #23
plumber mike
Born again

Oddometer: 2,049
I just noticed your turn signals.Looks clean. Where didja getum?
plumber mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #24
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

You will find that if you use a Scepter 1.25 gallon can (they don't leak and are a thicker stronger gas can) and strap it to the 4 round vertical holes with two small ratchet straps you would think someone designed it to work with that can...
Old 09-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
I just noticed your turn signals.Looks clean. Where didja getum?
www.sicassracing.com

I'd get the clear instead of smoke though. My riding buddies bitch about them.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #26
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Got some pics from an owner of an X-Co and X-Ch who installed a rack on both. First pic I've seen on a Challenge. Look good and right at home with both sets of luggage if i do say so myself!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #27
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
I don't have a beemer but if i did I would steal one of these from you! VERY nice high quality and well thought out! I started to make one for my XT 225 almost a year ago and I have the patterns but that is as far as I got. One of these days I'll finish it. I used to build off road race cars for a living so when I say your stuff is looking good it ain't no red neck leg humping. I just like it and I can tell you spent some time on it. Great job!
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 PM   #28
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I have a friend with an XT225 and I've been thinking about doing them for that bike.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,473
I have 2 -2006 XT 225's so if you gonna do it I'm probably IN for TWO just because I'm just workin too much overtime to deal with finishing my own and usually I don't like buying other people's stuff. Just because I know I can make better stuff myself. But from what I've seen you got the skills and ability to make something up to my high standards.
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #30
whd721
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Are your Xchallenge tail racks still available? Has anyone tried to mount a GIVI top case on your tail rack? Price?
whd721 is offline   Reply With Quote