Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 AM   #1
650ryder OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
How about a forum suggested trip and Bike?

I just got the go ahead starting this Tuesday, to take 5 days and go where I want. After reading all the great adventures here I got to thinking where should I go? What should I see? I have taken many 3-4 day trips on the KLR in the past, but I am contemplating taking the DR350 this time.

So here is my question, if you had 5 days total and were in the Central Valley of CA, Fresno, where would you go? Would take the KLR650 which you know will handle any trip with ease? Or would take the 94 DR350 that you have had for 2 weeks and try something different? I usually camp the whole way, and never have a planned itenerary. I usually know where I would like to go, but just start head in that direction and let the trip happen as it may. That has always worked well for me, rarely have I had a problem where I needed to plan a day or my next stop. So, the KLR holds 6 gallons or so , the DR holds now 4.2 gallons, so fuel is not a huge concern, but is a factor of sorts. My gear is always the same, a tent, sleeping bag small duffel, battery lantern, sleeping pad, and of course cell phone, cash, AAA card, credit card, maps, and tools, no GPS. I always take minimal food and water, but usually eat where I am.

I am a huge history buff so I love the historic towns, mines, etc. I don't mind seeing the same place twice, as I am just in it for the enjoyment of the ride.

My preference is to head North, South, or East, not West this time, I ahve been up and down the CA coast many times, that is where I grew up, so i am looking for somewhere else.

So if you were in my position, which way would you go? What would be your ultimate destination? Would you take the always reliable KLR650, or would really make it an adventure and take the new to you DR350?

So throw me some ideas, help me plan my destination, this will be my last adventure ride this year, so lets make it good, fun, and unforgettable.
---------------------------------
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost!
650ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Oh man, I'd forget the DR350 and and KLR, I'd take that 1979 XL185 you have out for a blast. Gotta just love the old small bore 'odd' numbered cc enduro reps. 185s, 175s.

Take that XL185 out for 5 days, I dare you?
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote