User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
motomotard OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
motomotard's XT350 build thread.....

so i guess this is gonna be my build thread, so when i get done ill have proof that i actually did some shit to the bike.

got this 1985 XT350 a little while ago for next to nothing. basically everything worked, leaked a little oil, ran fine though, dirty as all hell.

im cleaning it up, paint, some new gaskets, got a supertrapp for it and some unifilters, shaved some brackets, gonna do a offroad/supermoto/type thing with it.

here are a couple pics so far

when i got it -

motor out and break down

motomotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
motomotard OP
Adventurer

advanced air box removal technique

motor was DIRTY, and some previous owner had spray painted basically every part at one point or another while in the frame, so i had overspray on everything, couple of layers of paint over the frame red in several spots

scrubbed up

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
motomotard OP
Adventurer

bunch of shavings in the oil filter, real sparkly, still dont know where it came from, bike ran fine though, needs cam chain adjusted, after i run it for a bit ill see if i get more shavings then go looking for the source. oil looked ok when drained, but its hard to see shavings in dirty oil really.

any tips on where it may be coming from?

Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
motomotard OP
Adventurer

frame cleaned up with one shot of rattle can primer. shaved a couple of brackets nothing big, sand blasted it some, but my blaster sucks. basically keeping the frame all stock. gonna paint it gloss white with a tractor enamel.

i cleaned the motor as best i could, but to do it properly it needed to be broken down and blasted, not doin that now, just want it to look decent and then ride the bastard. new paint, bbq enamel, high temp engine enamel, and high temp aluminum cast paint.

new cam cover gasket and mag cover gasket. both the intake boots were screwed like most of them are, the left one is new, the right one i rehabilitated, will see how well that works when im back on it.

bunch o pics

Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
motomotard OP
Adventurer

have some Tag bars, Supertrapp, Renthal grips, Unifilters, and a couple other little things.

need to get a Polisport headlight, some Acerbis plastic, Moose seal savers, new shoes in rear, and need to fab up a new battery box. trying to do everything on the cheap, so nothing crazy expensive right now.

shitty pics of my '72 ironhead for fun

Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM   #6
Corky1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Talking

Heres a project bike I did 93 XT 350.
Hope it gives you some ideas.
http://www.pbase.com/corky1/xt_350_project_bike
Good luck,

Corky
AMA # 199311 Charter Life Member
"Keep The Rubberside Down"
Corky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,945
Looking good, mang. I like the touch of white on the engine, it breaks it up good.

That's alot of metal on your oil filter. I would at least take the valve cover off and inspect the camshaft and rockers. When you get more time I would take the engine apart to inspect everything, for peace of mind. I'd be worried about taking the bike long distances after seeing that much metal. How was the oil level when you got it? If it runs the way it is right now just keep running it and check the oil level religiously after every ride. These engines are tough, look at the link in my signature for proof of that.

Was the airbox already broken when you got it? What is the plan for that now that it is completely destroyed? I know they are a pain in the ass to take in and out but at least it's doable. If you are going a different route than stock be prepared to spend lots of time tuning those YDIS carbs. Might be a huge headache for ya.

Anyway, good luck with the rebuild! Take lots of pictures for us and keep us updated!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #8
motomotard OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Looking good, mang. I like the touch of white on the engine, it breaks it up good.

That's alot of metal on your oil filter. I would at least take the valve cover off and inspect the camshaft and rockers. When you get more time I would take the engine apart to inspect everything, for peace of mind. I'd be worried about taking the bike long distances after seeing that much metal. How was the oil level when you got it? If it runs the way it is right now just keep running it and check the oil level religiously after every ride. These engines are tough, look at the link in my signature for proof of that.

Was the airbox already broken when you got it? What is the plan for that now that it is completely destroyed? I know they are a pain in the ass to take in and out but at least it's doable. If you are going a different route than stock be prepared to spend lots of time tuning those YDIS carbs. Might be a huge headache for ya.

Anyway, good luck with the rebuild! Take lots of pictures for us and keep us updated!
yea im just junkin the stock air box. itll be a pain tuning the carbs but itll be worth it.

cam shaft looked fine, but im no expert. i couldnt see any metal in the drained oil. ill just have to ride it for a while and see what happens. its just gonna be a bike for around town, not going to california on it or anything.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
motomotard OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky1
Heres a project bike I did 93 XT 350.
Hope it gives you some ideas.
http://www.pbase.com/corky1/xt_350_project_bike
Good luck,

Corky
thanks, ive seen your site before, bike looks good.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
jegrmajstr
thumper tourer

Oddometer: 135
Damn I just love the way you painted the engine
Makes me kinda regret that I didn't do it myself when I was rebuilding the bike
Good fun solid bike when prepared properly: stiffened suspension, open high-flow exhaust, larger jets, opened airbox and the bike will go like sh*t of a showel

Kinda

'85 Moto Guzzi V65 TT (never heard of it?)

'93 Yamaha XT 350 Touroduro (sold & missed)
jegrmajstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
motomotard OP
Adventurer

this is kinda what im going for with this build. this bike is from wrenchmonkees

Old 08-25-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
motomotard OP
Adventurer

got the frame painted .... i think.

used a white gloss tractor enamel from TSC. supposedly holds up well under abuse, says its abrasion resistant, blah blah.

heated the enamel to about 125 degrees and sprayed through a cheap gravity fed gun. did two coats. heating the enamel lowers the paints viscosity which supposedly reduces, runs, orange peel, etc... and you dont have to thin it. seems to have worked well, its drying very slow, but i think thats ok, dont have an oven big enough to bake it, but thats what id like to do.

pics dont really show it off very well, its glossier in person. i didnt sand any of the primer down so id have a little bit of texture as well.

looks fine to me, came out like i wanted it to, if it holds up to scratches and abuse then ill be satisfied.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #13
motomotard OP
Adventurer

from knucklebusterinc

Old 09-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
motomotard OP
Adventurer

did some more painting. i got this high temp engine paint in a cast iron color. love that stuff. dries real hard, not to glossy and has just a little texture to it. front end is done, swingarm painted and put back together, will put the motor in the frame and have my self a roller tonight hopefully.

Old 09-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #15
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,770
Nice paint job.

Thanks for the warm paint tip!
kyns is offline   Reply With Quote