User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #1
avbjessup OP
Growin older but not up

Oddometer: 169
2008 KTM 250 jetting problem??

I have a 2008 KTM 250XCF-W and am beyond frustrated! It has less than 15 hours on it and I ride from 7000' - 10,000'. The problem is this: when accelerating, especially from 25mph and up (about half throttle), it seems to just stop getting fuel (or maybe air?). If I pull the clutch in and rev the throttle I can release the clutch and continue to accelerate for a short distance, then I have to repeat the process as it loses power. It also pops and backfires a bit on deceleration. I don't know if it is too rich, too lean or if the problem is something other than jetting. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he changed the jetting but it still presents the same problem. He hasn't experienced the issue since the bike isn't plated so he can't run it on the road (he rides it in a parking lot). It doesn't happen at low speeds regardless of where I ride. HELP!!! At least give me a starting point. Thank you SO MUCH!!

Since posting this I've read a bit about an O-ring acel. pump fix . . . any ideas?
avbjessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
cedric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Maybe check out ktmtalk.com. There will likely be more KTM focused knowledge over there. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
avbjessup OP
Growin older but not up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedric
Maybe check out ktmtalk.com. There will likely be more KTM focused knowledge over there. Good luck.
Thanks!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,444
What have you done to the bike?

Slip-on?
Full system?
SXF pipe?
Jet Kit?
JD jetting?
Dirty air filter?

I think the best thing to do is take the bike to a dealership that has a dyno and an EGA and spend the money to get the jetting sorted out.

Backfire/pops on deacceleration means that your too lean, not a big deal.

Sounds to me like the bike is too rich.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
avbjessup OP
Growin older but not up

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom
What have you done to the bike?

Slip-on?
Full system?
SXF pipe?
Jet Kit?
JD jetting?
Dirty air filter?

I think the best thing to do is take the bike to a dealership that has a dyno and an EGA and spend the money to get the jetting sorted out.

Backfire/pops on deacceleration means that your too lean, not a big deal.

Sounds to me like the bike is too rich.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I haven't done anything to it - it is bone stock, purchased in July and has had one service.

Dumb question: what is an EGA? with a dyno/EGA could they detect an exhaust leak?

Thanks!!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:04 PM   #6
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by avbjessup

I have a 2008 KTM 250XCF-W and am beyond frustrated! It has less than 15 hours on it and I ride from 7000' - 10,000'. The problem is this: when accelerating, especially from 25mph and up (about half throttle), it seems to just stop getting fuel (or maybe air?). If I pull the clutch in and rev the throttle I can release the clutch and continue to accelerate for a short distance, then I have to repeat the process as it loses power. It also pops and backfires a bit on deceleration. I don't know if it is too rich, too lean or if the problem is something other than jetting. I took it to the dealer yesterday and he changed the jetting but it still presents the same problem. He hasn't experienced the issue since the bike isn't plated so he can't run it on the road (he rides it in a parking lot). It doesn't happen at low speeds regardless of where I ride. HELP!!! At least give me a starting point. Thank you SO MUCH!!

Since posting this I've read a bit about an O-ring acel. pump fix . . . any ideas?
Assuming you've checked that all's well with the bike (manifold clamps tight, all hoses plugged into their respective ports, etc), I would suggest one of JD Jetting's carb kits. Use their jetting recommendations and bits for the altitude you typically ride at, and you should be good to go. If nothing else, they'll also be able to to answer any questions about possible fuel pump problems, if any are known exist.

Anyway, here's the one for your 250...
http://www.jdjetting.com/xcart/produ...5&cat=1&page=1

I've used JD Jetting's parts & recommended settings on my 525 for all sorts of conditions and rides, from sea level to 13,000', and it's always been spot on.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #7
scruffy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
JD jet kit and remove the power reducer screen out of the rear of the exhaust.
This is not a spark arrestor and really chokes the bike. There is a internal
spark arrestor. If this doesn't fix it, could be a problem with the float or dirt in the carb. Also make sure the tank is venting right, next time it does it open the tank cap and if it sucks air the tank is not venting right.
scruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
avbjessup OP
Growin older but not up

Thanks guys! I ordered the JD kit. Do I just take the end cap off the exhaust to find the diffuser screen?
Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
avbjessup OP
Growin older but not up

JD Jet kit did it! The bike rocks now!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705