Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #1
goldenrev OP
New Dream

Oddometer: 382
Just How Many Ferries Can You Ride On One Trip?

I am not sure… but I plan to find out!

I am in the final stages of my preparations for my summer trip (leaving on Monday July 2) which will take me through Oregon & Washington, then up into British Columbia, Alberta & just a quick dip into the Yukon territories on my way to Skagway, AK. From Skagway I am going to take the ferry back down to Bellingham, WA then go back up into Canada to get the ferry from Vancouver over to Vancouver Island and from there, you guessed it, more ferry rides through the San Juan Islands before heading south for home.

As I was contemplating how to start this ride report, I stated to think about the trip I took last year to Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse and was wondering just where I was one year ago today:

One year ago today I woke here (Near Coldfoot on the Dalton):

And went through here (Atigun Pass):

And got really really cold here (North of Atigun Pass):

The trip looks like it will be about 5,000 miles, minus the ferry ride from Skagway to Bellingham, so I am not going to have to do any maintenance on the road this year. My bike has a little over 55,000 miles on it, so it is just about broken in and with all the routine maintenance recently done we are both good to go.

I plan to post the report “live” as long as I have wifi, so if you are interested on counting how many ferries I can ride this summer come on along.

Ps. my report from last year is the “Where are you going” link in my signature and the “All the Way Around” report is from 2010 and is my ride report for a Yellowstone/Tetons >>> Toronto and across Canada trip.

goldenrev screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 06:15 PM
goldenrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
JoeyBones
Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer: 1,383
Proud to have ridden all 50 US States. IBA #48773.
Check out my Motorcycle Courier Adventures or the Charlotte Ride Planning & 3rd Thursday Pizza-Meet

"I picked up a nice burlap thong. It makes me feel pretty." - BluRidgeRider
JoeyBones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 129
I am thinking about the some of the same route in early Sept.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
looks an interesting idea for a ride.Will the rear tire last 5000 k?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
goldenrev OP
New Dream

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
looks an interesting idea for a ride.Will the rear tire last 5000 k?
No problem... I have been getting about 10,000 miles or a bit more on my tires (Tourance) ridding mostly 1 up fully loaded. I am starting out with right about 2,000 miles on this set of tires.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Oddometer: 189
If you ride from Revelstoke BC to Nakusp BC you will have another ferry plus the option of 3 others.

1. Highway 23 S gets you Shelter Bay to Discovery Bay.

2. Continue thru Nakusp on 6 and you get Fauquier to Needles. (You could do Arrow Park Ferry across the lake and back - situated about 1/2 way between Nakusp and Fauquier)

3. From Nakusp go E on 6 to New Denver then E on 31A to Kaslo then S on 31 to Balfour for ferry to Kootenay Bay (or Crawford Bay I forget)

These are some great roads as well and the area is relatively quiet when compared to the Okanagan region.

Safe journeys.
norther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Although when I look at your route you may have considered these options already.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
goldenrev OP
New Dream

More Ferry Rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by norther View Post
If you ride from Revelstoke BC to Nakusp BC you will have another ferry plus the option of 3 others.

1. Highway 23 S gets you Shelter Bay to Discovery Bay.

2. Continue thru Nakusp on 6 and you get Fauquier to Needles. (You could do Arrow Park Ferry across the lake and back - situated about 1/2 way between Nakusp and Fauquier)

3. From Nakusp go E on 6 to New Denver then E on 31A to Kaslo then S on 31 to Balfour for ferry to Kootenay Bay (or Crawford Bay I forget)

These are some great roads as well and the area is relatively quiet when compared to the Okanagan region.

Safe journeys.
Thanks for the outstanding suggestions... I will be traveling traveling east to west; entering Canada on Hwy 31 in WA, but a little detour to the east takes me over to hwy 3A on the east side of Kootaney Lake and then north. I am planning on staying here: Toad Rock Campground has anyone here been?

The next day I am planning to stay here Riders Retreat in Nakusp. From there I am going to visit friends in Kamloops so I will be taking the ferry from Fauquier to Needles. When I leave kamloops I will reverse my rack and go back through Nakusp (yes another ferry ride ) then I will take your suggestion to get the ferry to Shelter Bay. I am planning to stay that night up near Mount Revelstoke Park, thinking about Blanket Creek Provincial Park.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
goldenrev OP
New Dream

Already Thought of That??

Quote:
Although when I look at your route you may have considered these options already.
Not really I am a 1/2 plan it 1/2 wing it kind of planner, so your suggestions are perfect! I like to have some plans set, like the a reservation on the Alaska Ferry or some definite dates for visits with friends; then .... sit around the camp fire at night and adjust my route while on the road.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
looking forward to another one of your always good RR's
How's Goldenwife healing up after the collision with the wildlfe last year ? Bike fixed or new bike for her?

have a safe and fun trip
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM   #11
goldenrev OP
New Dream

The rest of the story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborndad View Post
looking forward to another one of your always good RR's
How's Goldenwife healing up after the collision with the wildlfe last year ? Bike fixed or new bike for her?

have a safe and fun trip
Thanks for checking in

To make a long story short, Leslie is doing great and back riding, the bike ended up being "totaled." It might of had a bent frame, plus the cost of all the plastic etc. Our insurance (Progressive) was fantastic in customer service & in paying us not only for the value of the bike but for all accessories, riding suit, helmet, DMV reg. taxes etc.

The rest of the story.... is here (page 10 of last summers ride report): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...691872&page=10 if you are interested.

Oh boy Leslie just poped her head in my office and said let's go for a breakfast ride... Im outta here...
Old 06-30-2012, 09:42 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrev View Post
Thanks for the outstanding suggestions... I will be traveling traveling east to west; entering Canada on Hwy 31 in WA, but a little detour to the east takes me over to hwy 3A on the east side of Kootaney Lake and then north. I am planning on staying here: Toad Rock Campground has anyone here been?

The next day I am planning to stay here Riders Retreat in Nakusp. From there I am going to visit friends in Kamloops so I will be taking the ferry from Fauquier to Needles. When I leave kamloops I will reverse my rack and go back through Nakusp (yes another ferry ride ) then I will take your suggestion to get the ferry to Shelter Bay. I am planning to stay that night up near Mount Revelstoke Park, thinking about Blanket Creek Provincial Park.
That's my neighborhood....! If you want to do some gravel I can add yet another ferry to your route. 5 minutes to the other side and some interesting explorations.

Toad Rock is fine but my friend lives next door almost so I get free camping at her place. Rider's retreat.....I like their new sign.

There is this one also, check them out they have a website with pics. No tent required,it's been a little wet lately.

H96669 screwed with this post 06-30-2012 at 09:54 AM
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
norther
Mind=Yes Body=No

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenrev View Post

I'll offer you a beer and BBQ if the dates work out. We have a place 3 or 4 km from Riders Retreat.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #14
goldenrev OP
New Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
That's my neighborhood....! If you want to do some gravel I can add yet another ferry to your route. 5 minutes to the other side and some interesting explorations.

Toad Rock is fine but my friend lives next door almost so I get free camping at her place. Rider's retreat.....I like their new sign.

There is this one also, check them out they have a website with pics. No tent required,it's been a little wet lately.

Hmmm sounds interesting... PM sent
Old 06-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #15
goldenrev OP
New Dream

An offer of Beer!!

Quote:
I'll offer you a beer and BBQ if the dates work out. We have a place 3 or 4 km from Riders Retreat.

Well let me think about that ........

OK enough time thinking

Sounds great, I am planning on staying at Riders Retreat on July 6th