Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #31
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,155
Great job, 10Cup. You're holding our attention, to be sure.

BTW, haven't seen photos of the KLR since the start of your report. Is he still with you? How is he and his bike doing?

Does the mud seem permanent in those places, or do you think it's from recent rains?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #32
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Adobe Mud=No Fun

3.5 gallons of fuel is enough for the longer sections? Who makes the windscreen?
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:33 PM   #33
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,591
Klr

Quote:
Originally Posted by byways
Great job, 10Cup. You're holding our attention, to be sure.

BTW, haven't seen photos of the KLR since the start of your report. Is he still with you? How is he and his bike doing?

Does the mud seem permanent in those places, or do you think it's from recent rains?
No, the KLR and I split up in Wise River, he is ridding with his buddy and I decided to go solo. They are about a day behind me currently, they are in Chama tonight so there are in for a fun day tomorrow.

On the mud, it is drying out but the ruts are so bad from the ranchers trucks that it will be very difficult riding for a long time. Not sure I would want to try it even when dry due to the depth of the ruts and the fact that there isn't a way around some of the worst ruts. Shame it turned out like that because they don't do any maintenance on the dirt roads that I can tell.

Also thanks for hanging out with me on this ride. I really appreciated your input and interest. Hope we can meet some day.

All the best.
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble
3.5 gallons of fuel is enough for the longer sections? Who makes the windscreen?
Yes, the 3.6 gal tank was perfect. I have a range of over 225 miles and carry a couple of MSR fuel bottles just to be safe. I did one section from Pinedale, WY to Rawlins WY that was 226 miles and I had .5 gallons left. Rest of the trip was not much of a problem.

Windshield is a MRA VARIO and has been fantastic, especially with the high winds we encountered in WY and MT. It also comes off should the need arise by loosening too screws. 30 seconds and it can be under your net on the tail. I have yet to have to remove it however.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 PM   #35
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
No, the KLR and I split up in Wise River, he is ridding with his buddy and I decided to go solo. They are about a day behind me currently, they are in Chama tonight so there are in for a fun day tomorrow.

On the mud, it is drying out but the ruts are so bad from the ranchers trucks that it will be very difficult riding for a long time. Not sure I would want to try it even when dry due to the depth of the ruts and the fact that there isn't a way around some of the worst ruts. Shame it turned out like that because they don't do any maintenance on the dirt roads that I can tell.

Also thanks for hanging out with me on this ride. I really appreciated your input and interest. Hope we can meet some day.

All the best.
10cup--hope you picked up that there is NO GAS on the Bigdog track between Grants and Silver City. You have to deviate to get to a station. There used to be an automated pump approximately 4 miles east of where the track crosses highway 12, north side of the road--may be marked Old Horse Springs on the map. When I tried it earlier this month it was on but would not operate. Enjoy the Gila and Pie Town. Ride safe.
AKASY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #36
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKASY
10cup--hope you picked up that there is NO GAS on the Bigdog track between Grants and Silver City. You have to deviate to get to a station. There used to be an automated pump approximately 4 miles east of where the track crosses highway 12, north side of the road--may be marked Old Horse Springs on the map. When I tried it earlier this month it was on but would not operate. Enjoy the Gila and Pie Town. Ride safe.
AKASY, thanks! I was looking at the route tonight and wondering as I did not see anywhere to fuel up. Do you have any suggestions on what might work if the auto pump is still out? If not I'll probobly have to use my MSR bottles after all. It will be very close though...

Looks like a 21 mile one way west down Hwy 12 to "Apache Creek" I'll have that as a fail safe. Thanks for the heads up!

10Cup screwed with this post 09-07-2009 at 09:07 AM
Old 08-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #37
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb

Yes ...
Great Ride Report
... Great Pictures
... ... Nice R² (I'm hope to get one of those soon !!)
Old 08-27-2009, 09:28 PM   #38
flyguync
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
You hit 160 mph on that leg? I just happened to see that on the GPS Nice report!
flyguync is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #39
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Really good stuff! Thanks for the ride.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:05 PM   #40
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 334
Thumb Mud Ruts, Deserts, and Bypasses ~ What a Day!!!!

10Cup,
Thanks for keeping us up to date along the way. I've never been one to live vicariously through someone elses adventures but "life happens" and here we are. You'll definitely have to give us the low-down on your route (once you've finished up and arrived safely back in AR). Oh yeah, where are you from in AR. I'm from Clarksville. Graduated highschool in 87, joined the military and have been stationed in Colorado since 1991 (on and off but steady since 2001). The family still lives in Clarksville and I get a good amount visits in per year but my "fun meter" is pegged after a few days of intense humidity, chiggers, ticks, mosquitos, poison ivy, etc. etc.. Anyway, good luck on the rest of your trip and thanks again for sharing your adventures along the way...................Sean
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #41
Sirby
Silveradvo

Oddometer: 247
Cool2 Gas in Quemado

Quote:
AKASY, thanks! I was looking at the route tonight and wondering as I did not see anywhere to fuel up. Do you have any suggestions on what might work if the auto pump is still out? If not I'll probobly have to use my MSR bottles after all. It will be very close though...

Looks like a 21 mile one way west down Hwy 12 to "Apache Cree" I'll have that as a fail safe. Thanks for the heads up!
Enjoying your report. I found plenty of gas 15 miles west of Pietown in Quemado last July '08. Decent cafe there also. You can make Silver City from there which is 179 miles south of Pietown. If there has been lots of rain south of Pietown, the Gila N.F. will be pure muck.

This is what it looked like last year after it dried out and got dozer'd.

If you find it passable on the plains of San Agustin, south of hwy 12, watch for this lady rancher. Made my day.

Far off in the distance there is where the aliens landed in 1947.
The VLA (very large array) radio telescope is over there too on hwy 60 about 30 miles from Pietown.

-Sirby
Sirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #42
Red Leader
It's The Wide Open Spaces

Oddometer: 51
Enjoying your rr, thanks for the windshield info, I found it earlier along with a lot of other good info on the WR from some of your other posts. I Picked up the WRR on Wednesday evening and I'm going to get out this weekend to try her out.
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #43
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Gas

Quote:

Looks like a 21 mile one way west down Hwy 12 to "Apache Cree" I'll have that as a fail safe. Thanks for the heads up!
Sorry 10cup, didn't see your reply until this AM--but you have it figured out. You can go east or west on 60 at Pie Town and get gas or do the same when you cross 12 at Horse Springs. Please let me know if that automated pump is working--it was in June but back thru in Aug and no workee. I just pressed on to Silver City and made it with what I had on board.
While in Silver City be sure to stop by Copper Canyon KTM--go south on 90 it is on the right--tell Dave hi, good group of guys.
I know you said you were not going to Antelope Wells but if you do you will take 90 south and then take Separ Road which is dirt to I10 then a dirt side road to the highway to Hachita then highway to Antelope Wells. Again no gas anywhere south of Silver City. The station in Hachita was open in June but close in Aug--don't know why but Silver City to AW and back to gas could be a long day--belive me there is NOTHING from I10 to AW except a zigzag at Hachita. Ride safe.
AKASY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #44
mtbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Sweet Cheeks

Great ride report and awesome pics! How are you getting along with the sweet cheeks? I have a drz400 and the seat sucks!! You are the first person i've seen using one on ride reports. I would love to do this ride some day! Keep up the good work!
mtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #45
djaubs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
So that's what Marshall Pass looks like when it's not raining! Had no clue, went over it in a straight downpour with thick fog a couple of months back. Great report! I'm going across and up the divide with Sean next weekend. Very helpful and entertaining to read up on your trip.
djaubs is offline   Reply With Quote