Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #61
AKASY
Noob

Oddometer: 2,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
I think I've finally realized why most Moto guys don't run the Chain of Craters route and stick to pavement. The route that I keep seeing on here posted over and over again doesn't include it!! Kind of strange that such a large section of dirt is bypassed for pavement.
I think that thru Mapais that Bigdog took the east side payment and most are just following his track.
AKASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #62
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways
This report has provided a great insight into the capabilities of that 250, which I now think is the bike for me.
I agree, Tony. The WR250R seems like a great bike! And, if you need any more convincing, you might also check out these ride reports from BigDog and SkierD?

I've been lusting after one for a while
Old 08-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #63
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan
I agree, Tony. The WR250R seems like a great bike! And, if you need any more convincing, you might also check out these ride reports from BigDog and SkierD?

I've been lusting after one for a while

I enjoyed the ride report very much. And I do have an WR as well, really makes me enjoy it more every time I read these long praising reports.

Thx 10cup for taking us along !
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:28 PM   #64
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Wr250r

Quote:
This report has provided a great insight into the capabilities of that 250, which I now think is the bike for me.
You know I almost forgot about the bike being a 250, it just does what you want and only might lack a little on the interstate if you want to run 75 all day loaded down. Though I did that for hours by drafting

The bike never skipped a beat and is rock solid dependable. I rode this little bike almost 3,800 miles on this trip and it never once put me on the ground either. Recommend Dunlop 606's highly too. If you get close to buying let me know and I'll share more info with you.
10Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #65
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
I think I've finally realized why most Moto guys don't run the Chain of Craters route and stick to pavement. The route that I keep seeing on here posted over and over again doesn't include it!! Kind of strange that such a large section of dirt is bypassed for pavement.
Yes, I had Bigdogs track file and just followed it. So if you can provide some insight coming out of Grants, NM please do.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #66
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Yes, I had Bigdogs track file and just followed it. So if you can provide some insight coming out of Grants, NM please do.
I'll see if I can upload the other track I downloaded from here awhile ago a little later this afternoon.
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:04 PM   #67
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,769
10 Cup absolutely a 10+ ride report. Thanks for sharing.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #68
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Gear Report

Thought I'd add a little about the gear I used and the pluses and minuses if you will. I had to get everything into one Ortlieb medium bag plus my Dirtbagz rangers and a small Wolfman enduro tank bag . All of this equipment worked perfectly and I would use it all again.

Even though packed very light I still found that I could have done with less. It is very easy to wash your clothes at night given you don't take any cotton. and then let them dry over night. I had two Klim jerseys and one short sleeve starter brand pull over from WM. Worked great!

Used the LD Comfort underwear and it worked extremely well, again easy to wash each night and dry by morning. I had two pair of shorts and one of the long johns. Never needed the long johns but thought I might if the night got too cool camping.

I had three pair of socks, one Klim and two MSR. All were fantastic but two would have gotten me by no problem. These socks wick away the sweat so well that you can wear them multiple days if you want and then of course just wash and let dry over night. Two pair would have been enough.

I am a real fan of the Olympia brand gear . I have the Airglide II jacket in Silver and matching pants in Black. Mary over at Motogear is great to work with and I love there no hassle returns too!

I did not use the liner that comes with the jacket opting instead for my Gerbings Jacket Liner . Having the ability to adjust the heat was a great help and I used it every day too! Temps were always very cool in the morning and then in the afternoon got up in the 75 degree range.
The pant liner I did use and it is also water proof so a great combination. Found I had to remove the liners a couple of days in the afternoon.

On Gloves, I had a pair I had purchased from the local Honda shop but the ones I like the best are by Cortech . These gloves I use in hot weather and I really like that the gauntlet covers my wrist and jacket. Fit is just the best.

Boots, no question SIDI is the best. I like the Canyon Gore-Tex boots.
I did bring a pair of tennis shoes for camp and to go to dinner with but if you want to keep long legged pants the SIDS would do for that too.

I also took along a pair of nylon pants with zip off legs that served as shorts or regular pants and could be washed and dried over night. Another Walmart cheapy.

Helmets, for me the Shoei Hornet was just the best, I did not want goggles so it was between the Arie DX or the Shoei and the Hornet fit me best. Again Mary over at Motogear in Arvada, CO. gave me a GREAT price. Don't go by the internet price listed, call her.

On the R², accessories I highly recommend are heated grips , sweet cheeks seat widener, Alaska Leather seat cover , Dunlop 606 Tires, Wolfman enduro fender bag , Scott steering dampener and the Vario windshield . For a tail bag rack I used Emerson's rack from the ADV forum, worked very well and just the right size. Flatland bash plate .

Think that is about all folks any questions just let me know.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #69
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Gads, I take all that on day trips! Man, much to learn. This is a great contribution, 10cup.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #70
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 334
Thumb Re: Gear Report

10Cup,
Thanks for the awesome gear report! I especially liked the part about "trimming down" the clothes pile. Dan (djaubs) and I are taking off this Friday morning for what will be our first "4 Day / All Dirt" trip through the Colorado high country and I really do think I may be overpacked..............But then again, I may also end up freezing my ass off!!! Who knows ~ this crazy "weather at altitude" has bitten me more than once this year!

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 05:53 PM
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:01 PM   #71
neiltkool
Adventure Rider Lite

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Cup
Hi 10Cup and thanks for posting this awesome trip report.

I just completed my own trip down the CDR a couple of days ahead of you. Had I known you were right behind me I would have waited and said "hi"!

The Chain of Craters Back Country Byway is a worthwhile substitution for some of Hwy 117 coming out of Grants.

But in the big scope of things, it's not like you really missed anything.

I am so jealous that you were able to make it through NF150 just north of Mimbres! I'm sure the Forest Service's patch work sucked, but this is what the road looked like on Thursday, the 27th. (I met two Forest Service personnel on horseback who said I had another half mile or so of this stuff to go before making the decision to turn around)

It was a LONG detour back up and around through Winston, Truth or Consequences, and eventually to Silver City.

Thanks again for the great photos and report. -Neil

El Camino Del Diablo
Oregon Back Country Discovery Route
Continental Divide Ride
neiltkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:30 PM   #72
neiltkool
Adventure Rider Lite

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
10cup, whereabouts are those two water crossings, particularly one you said was deep?

Thanks again for the informative RR.
byways,

I hope 10cup doesn't mind my answering, but that deeper water crossing is located at: N40 03.424 W106 38.428.

Have fun and ride safe. -Neil

El Camino Del Diablo
Oregon Back Country Discovery Route
Continental Divide Ride
neiltkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 AM   #73
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Thanks, Neiltkool. I've seen at least one video of bikes going down in that. Seems deeper than the deepest one I've ever crossed, in Montana on a route not far off the GDR.

What's your take on that crossing, for 650s and up loaded for extended camping?

byways screwed with this post 09-02-2009 at 08:48 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #74
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nf150

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltkool
Hi 10Cup and thanks for posting this awesome trip report.

I just completed my own trip down the CDR a couple of days ahead of you. Had I known you were right behind me I would have waited and said "hi"!

The Chain of Craters Back Country Byway is a worthwhile substitution for some of Hwy 117 coming out of Grants.

But in the big scope of things, it's not like you really missed anything.

I am so jealous that you were able to make it through NF150 just north of Mimbres! I'm sure the Forest Service's patch work sucked, but this is what the road looked like on Thursday, the 27th. (I met two Forest Service personnel on horseback who said I had another half mile or so of this stuff to go before making the decision to turn around)

It was a LONG detour back up and around through Winston, Truth or Consequences, and eventually to Silver City.

Thanks again for the great photos and report. -Neil
Man I'll say it was a lot better than that, sorry you had to back track that is a long way to go too. Thanks for the update!
Old 09-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #75
Fleg
Fleg in 2012

Oddometer: 2,127
I still haven't had time to upload the .GPX file of the route that I have. To busy planning my own trip and watching the radar!

I did find where I got most of my info from.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=8
Fleg is offline   Reply With Quote