Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #76
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,514
GPX File

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleg
I still haven't had time to upload the .GPX file of the route that I have. To busy planning my own trip and watching the radar!

I did find where I got most of my info from.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...85&postcount=8
Yes this track file does show the back way around HWY117 and a few other differences too. Would be too to have them both so that if you have to detour you would have a back up. Thanks for the info Fleg!
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:40 PM   #77
neiltkool
Adventure Rider Lite

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by byways
Thanks, Neiltkool. I've seen at least one video of bikes going down in that. Seems deeper than the deepest one I've ever crossed, in Montana on a route not far off the GDR.

What's your take on that crossing, for 650s and up loaded for extended camping?
Hi byways,

You're welcome and again, I hope 10Cup doesn't mind my answering another question in his ride report.

My take on that water crossing is that it really isn't all that bad, even on a fully loaded down 650. It is kind of deep, maybe around 18in when I went through it, but it has a nice, smooth, sandy and gravel bottom.

Maybe 10Cup would also like to give you his take on the crossing, but I don't think you should have too much trouble getting through it on your KLR650. (Even if you pack as much crap with you as I did!)

Have fun and ride safe. -Neil

El Camino Del Diablo
Oregon Back Country Discovery Route
Continental Divide Ride
neiltkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #78
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,105
Thanks again. When I travel for camping, I don't leave much behind.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #79
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Water crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltkool
Hi byways,

You're welcome and again, I hope 10Cup doesn't mind my answering another question in his ride report.

My take on that water crossing is that it really isn't all that bad, even on a fully loaded down 650. It is kind of deep, maybe around 18in when I went through it, but it has a nice, smooth, sandy and gravel bottom.

Maybe 10Cup would also like to give you his take on the crossing, but I don't think you should have too much trouble getting through it on your KLR650. (Even if you pack as much crap with you as I did!)

Have fun and ride safe. -Neil
Yes, I agree with Neil, you would not have any problem from what I could tell. Bottom was predictable and wouldn't be a problem for a KLR even loaded down..
Old 09-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #80
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
10Cup,
Thanks for the awesome gear report! I especially liked the part about "trimming down" the clothes pile. Dan (djaubs) and I are taking off this Friday morning for what will be our first "4 Day / All Dirt" trip through the Colorado high country and I really do think I may be overpacked..............But then again, I may also end up freezing my ass off!!! Who knows ~ this crazy "weather at altitude" has bitten me more than once this year!
Don't know if your equipped for electric liners but they pack super small and pack a lot of heat. I use mine for my rain gear too!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #81
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,105
ok, 10Cup. You d' man.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #82
Canyoncruiser
n00b

Oddometer: 1
GPS Track

Nice pictures. Thanks.

Did you plot your own way on GPS or did you download a track?

Going next August.
Canyoncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:29 PM   #83
wheeledcaricature
n00b

Hola. I heard about the CDT a few months ago and may be in a position to return home on it. I'm on a 08 GSAdventure and would put some knobbies on it if I end up going on the trail. I ride a KTM 300 EXC on trails quite aggressively but I'm not sure about the extra weight of the GS? Any feedback on how anyone thinks this bike would do? I've only seen dirt roads at this point in the pics I've looked at and that has increased my confidence.
I recently road the 'USAL' road along the west coast between Ferndale and Leggett in CA. Any idea how that road compares?
Thanks!
wheeledcaricature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 AM   #84
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeledcaricature
Hola. I heard about the CDT a few months ago and may be in a position to return home on it. I'm on a 08 GSAdventure and would put some knobbies on it if I end up going on the trail. I ride a KTM 300 EXC on trails quite aggressively but I'm not sure about the extra weight of the GS? Any feedback on how anyone thinks this bike would do? I've only seen dirt roads at this point in the pics I've looked at and that has increased my confidence.
I recently road the 'USAL' road along the west coast between Ferndale and Leggett in CA. Any idea how that road compares?
Thanks!
Have not ridden the CA road so can't give you a comparison but for the GS you will be OK until you get to NM. It can be done but it would be one very hard ride especially if it is wet at all. The section from Chama (NM border) to Cuba I would not try (deep ruts/mud) nor would I want to ride the section south of hwy 12 that starts with HWY159 and on through NF150 is very hard riding. If you are prepared to lug that much weight (and are a lot younger than me) it can be done but would be more work than fun.

At any rate it is a great ride hope you do it the scenery is second to none.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #85
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Track file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyoncruiser
Nice pictures. Thanks.

Did you plot your own way on GPS or did you download a track?

Going next August.
Look at the quote in post 76 you can down load the track file from there.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #86
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,859
Wow, great ride! Looks like we missed each other by about a week in Salida. Shame you didn't go over Hancock and Tomichi if you wanted a fun way out of town. I guess I gotta add another trail to my to-do list.

Funny, I've been looking for a place to stash extra gas on the bike, and I completely forgot about the sweet cheeks that I ordered a few months ago.
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #87
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

CD ride

Thanks Skierd, really enjoyed your ride report too. Would have been fun to meet out on the trail but since it didn't happen was glad to see your ride report and compare experiences.

Hope to do the western tat next year myself. As for Tincup and Hancock, you can have em. Not what I enjoy, I'll take the desert and sand but don't like the baby head rocks etc. Sounds like you got a real work out too!

At any rate all the best this coming year and stay well. Hope to meet you out on the trail some time.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #88
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
GPS File???

10 Cup,
How's it goin' Brother? Good I hope. Got a quick question for ya ~ did you ever post your GPS file for this trip?
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #89
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Howdy

Hey Dirt, good to hear from you. Hope that F8 is working well too! The CD ride is available on the GPS exchange site. But I'll PM you on the details.

Good hearing from you and hope you get to take this ride, it is fantastic.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #90
riqren
n00b

Question on your Yamaha wr250

Hello 10cup:

First, thank you posting your pictures - they are great and instrumental.

Question: I have a KLR650. Do you think it's too heavy to do the ride you did.

Also, Old Wives Tales claim that dual purpose fuel-injection motorcycles are a disadvantaged as FI problems can't be diagnosed correctly or fixed on the trail.

And, would you recommend the Yamama 250XT for such a trip.

Thanks

Riqren
riqren is offline   Reply With Quote