Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,486
I'm liking it! Hey, as a native Texan living in the Frozen North (but not nearly so Frozen as where you're headed), let me suggest y'all be prepared to pick up some cold weather gear along the way. You're starting pretty late in the season, and you're almost certain to ride through some snow and ice before you're done. You can do it, but be safe and be prepared, and keep posting updates!

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #17
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkins
I'm liking it! Hey, as a native Texan living in the Frozen North (but not nearly so Frozen as where you're headed), let me suggest y'all be prepared to pick up some cold weather gear along the way. You're starting pretty late in the season, and you're almost certain to ride through some snow and ice before you're done. You can do it, but be safe and be prepared, and keep posting updates!
that's what I've been hearing! i don't know, we're going to be watching the weather really carefully. where abouts are you living up in the Frozen North?
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #18
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Day 11

Today was a bit different than the past couple that we've spent in the mountains. The scenery was so different and it was hot again! I got a bit spoiled riding at 60F. Anyway, we headed north from Montrose up Highway 50 towards Grand Junction, and we hit a milestone for this trip. We broke 75 mph for the first time this trip! Without any gear loaded on the bike, it's not such a big deal, but I was surprised with so much weight on the rig.

We then headed on and rode a particularly nice and mountainous section between Loma and Rangely. Beautiful and much cooler than earlier in the day. It was actually very steep in a few sections and I got stuck going about 20 mph.

We then headed northwest towards Vernal, Utah where we rode past a few places that had more than a few dinosaurs milling about...

While headed to a hotel for the night, we came across a really nice war memorial where we spent a few moments paying our respects. VFW Post 5560.

After checking in, I spotted a sweet ride across the street that begged to have its picture taken with our rig. Beautiful!

A great day! We head through Flaming Gorge tomorrow then onto Grand Tetons.

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:38 AM
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #20
2uprtw
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Love it! Fantastic spirit for hanging in there despite the initial setback.

Looking forward to reading more!

www.2uprtw.com
2uprtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 AM   #21
RockyNH
Older Than Dirt!

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43
Day 11

After checking in, I spotted a sweet ride across the street that begged to have its picture taken with our rig. Beautiful!

I really like this photo.. Nice Job!

Trip Report 2009 Trans Lab Highway

Trip Report 2010 James Bay & North Road Quebec
RockyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #22
ChubbyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Subscribed

(Ireland) lovin it, was surprised to see such a small tent in all that gear ..........
ChubbyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 AM   #23
Roughshod
weld proud

Oddometer: 101
Hey Matt and Kris. Enjoying your trip, website and photos. I see you're heading up through our mountainous backyard. If you have any trouble around the Calgary area send me a note and we'd be glad to help. Lots of resources. I hope you have a trouble-free trip through our parks and country. I dont think you'll encounter too much nasty weather this time of year but definitely prepare for sudden cold snaps.(originally from northwestern Alberta)
Have fun and yes, get a bigger tent!
cheers
Roughshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
mountainflats
n00b

Oddometer: 1
We live in SE BC, and it's the time of year when we have our fire-wood cut, because we know we'll soon be using it. Fall is a very beautiful time to ride, but the days are getting noticably shorter, & the mornings are cooler.

Question asked of previous arctic explorers : Do you plan on wintering over somewhere? Do you plan on riding the ice-road between Inuvic & Tuk? (open January - April)

I have a friend (an Ausie) who rode from Newfoundland to Vancouver in the dead of winter (Saskatoon for christmas). Full studded tires, many layers of clothing, he is also a very very tough cookie. So... it certainly can be done. but way up north... it get's dark up there!

Looking at your SPOT page, it looks like you're aimed to pass through our region (in Canal Flats, on HWY 93/95), and you're welcome to camp/shower.

Good luck & get a move on!
mountainflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 PM   #25
StinkyCheese
Red or Green?

Oddometer: 744

Lovely pictures and quite the story so far! Best of luck on the remainder.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 PM   #26
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43
that's what I've been hearing! i don't know, we're going to be watching the weather really carefully. where abouts are you living up in the Frozen North?
I'm in Minneapolis - so only 'frozen' from a lower 48 perspective. Take care, and I'll keep tracking the ride. Y'all already get kudos for tenacity. Keep having fun.

Mid-America -- Ozarks (Darkrider) -- Lake Superior Circle Tour -- NW US -- Labrador -- Big Bend (Darkrider) -- Yukon/Dempster Hwy -- WTX/NNM/SCO
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #27
kres
Arrrrrrrrr!

Oddometer: 1,197
Hooked.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #28
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Come to the "Hack" area of ADVrider...

Woooo...mightymatt43......I've been following you and wish you both the best of luck.

I strongly urge you to move your story to the "Hack" section of ADVriders as this is the more appropriate side where we all have sidecar adventures accumulated.

The groups there have tons of Urals and other makes to assist and recommend routes for you to take this time of year. You will also get immediate assists from all Uralistas as well as all others that ride sidecars....

Cheers....

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 06:16 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #29
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2uprtw
Love it! Fantastic spirit for hanging in there despite the initial setback.

Looking forward to reading more!
it's all part of the adventure. i do have to say that we're constantly grateful after every mile we travel north!
Old 09-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #30
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChubbyThumper
(Ireland) lovin it, was surprised to see such a small tent in all that gear ..........
it's true, it's true. we packed too much stuff. but now we know and the next trip we'll be a bit more selective...