User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2004, 02:28 AM   #1
kave OP
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 487
Bukkerittet 2004

We were 5 men who left Gothenburg Thursday morning at 9. We were heading for the annual Bukkerittet:
http://www.otc-mc.org/english/bukkerittet.html
Four riders on smaller vehicles than what seems to be standard on the US meetings, and one which was slightly larger:

Thanks to one of the riders on a KTM 640 Adventure we had to go no faster than 90-95km/h. On Swedish motorways the limit is usually 110km/h. Imagine beeing overtaken by large trucks on some occasions, and overtake the same trucks going upphill. Well, we didn't get any close contact with swedish or norwegian police, especially the latter can give you a quite high bill since it id depending on income. Up to 7000$ is not rare in norway for speeding. Here in Sweden maximum is 200$, and a lost license.
Well, we cruised along the motorway all 300 km's to the norwegian border, where we set the GPS to avoid highways and take shortest possible road.
Well, we had some decent roads and views on the roads there, typical gas station:

On the way up Touratech helped to lower the number of various insects on the way:

Thanks to all the 100 horses and the wonderful stability of the R1200GS, even when fully loaded I cruised along much much faster on Norwegian soil than the rest. That way I could stop and take some photos for you guys without lowering the total speed too much:

Here they come, one after another:

Nice view, the rest of the gang stopped for taking photos here too:
Crew gathered:

We zipped along pretty well, we arrived at 19.00 in the evening, time for some dinner, camp wise of course:

Our bikes, put to rest after a ten hour cruise:

The tent, a nice low weight tunnel tent:

I'll continue later on, the dog and my work requires some attention.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 02:45 AM   #2
choirboy
Yankee Racers - Founder

Oddometer: 17,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kave
The tent, a nice low weight tunnel tent:
Could you give us some details on the tent and the cooking stove and utensils?

Got my freedom, riding along the freeway,
I ride a hundred miles an hour, but I don't mess up my DA.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:20 AM   #3
Komet
The Voice of Reason

Oddometer: 38,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy
I like that tent too.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:54 AM   #4
kave OP
Gravel rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy
It's not my tent so I have to check with the owner first. I'll try look it up tomorrow and report back then.
The cooking stove is a regular no brand cheap alcohol stove. It works really nice, allthugh it requires quite much alchohol when using it.
Micke, the one with Zega cases and an Africa Twin uses a Primus citchen, it works much better and requires less fuel to drive it:
Old 08-16-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
kave OP
Gravel rules

The night, this high up in the mountains, 850 meters, or 2780 feet, was quite cold. I was extremely lucky I took my new thick sleeping bag. I have an old with with broken zipper that takes up less room in the bags, but it won't do any good when it's -2 celsius, or 28,4F. One of the KTM riders wen't up in the middle of the night noticing frost on his saddle.
Well, the bikes survived the cold night pretty well:

Our neighbors, one of them with a US version of a Honda XR 600, which is 650cc instead of the usual 600cc here in Europe:

The evening before we discussed with some regulars at this event which one of the 8 roadbooks is the greatest. They told us if it's good weather in the morning we should go up directly to the mountain Blåhö, which means Blueheight or so in english. Unpaved road all the way too the top. Yummy. Well, the bikes were all set to the job:

Since I was the only one with a working GPS I took the lead. We where 8 riders total, one of us with a bike over 750cc, all the rest had Africa twins, KTM 640, or Honda XR's or the like.
Well, I really had to take it easy on the paved roads with all the other riders with TKC 80's back and MT21 front.
The ride was fantastic all the way until the bottom of the mountain. There it became even better. Two Africa Twin's passed me after we checked by the Toll, the others were kept behind. Well, at 160km/h on unpaved roads I have an advantage to the less powerful KTM's. I can accelarate much faster :). Imagine the large dust cloud after a R1200GS with 100HP travelling at 160km/h (99mph) :)

10 Norwegian Crowns for a bike, it's 1,45$.
The ride up the mountain was faboulous. I have no pictures of it though, I had too much fun riding. No pics you say? are you crazy? Well, I took some on the top and some on the way back:) Here is the view from the top:

Nice to have a R1200GS to take photos through ehh? :

Or the same without BMW marketing wannabee style:

Everyone where taking photos:

I guess you all can understand why:

Micke did a quick check on his mapless GPS to see the altitude, 1600 meters:

Well, nuff saif about the view, let's take a look at the ride down:

(I couldn't resist a last photo from the top)

I guess not much of these are seen when winter comes. Well, here we go:

It was so steep, I couldn't just use the engine on first gear to keep it from sliding away faster and faster, I snapped some pics anyway:

I hope the R1200GS adventure will be equipped with an altitude meter as standard equipment:

I started first riding down to, I thought I should take som pics of the other riders passing by. No one yet though:

Quite boring roads isn't it? :)

Here comes the first from the top, except me of course:

And the second, going side ways down the road:

I guess this is what the KTM 640's are built for:

Everyone standing on the footpegs going down, except me though. Haven't learned the trick yet, taking photos while standing on the footpegs:

As you can see here it's getting greener when we come even further down:

To me this view is quite like Utah or os isn't it?

Except for the building style perhaps:

The photographer in action:

And the other riders on their way down:

The lighter bikes really had an advantage on their way down.They can easier be slowered down on the loose surface, using knobbies and all:

I would like to have one of these, and fix it up, just for the nice view:

Or maybe one of these instead :)

On the tarmac the GS was king of the road again:

I could easily keep myself from falling asleep on this road :)

Stopped whilst taking photos again:

The GS was left by the other riders in the dust:

Well well. She handled the first ride of the the day pretty well:

I'll guess i'll put some TKC 80's like these on next year, that's for sure:

Next roadbook ride I didn't bring my camera back, but it was really nice too. 260 km's of unpaved roads. It included some nice racing up and down a beach where people where sunbathing, while looking at us having fun. In Sweden they would have called the copper right away. I asked a Norwegian why they seem to like seeing us having fun on their roads, beaches etc. Well, he said, not much is actually happening here so they are happy with any action. Including bike riders.
Since I was on the Anakee tires, and the rest was on knobbies I was quite afraid of running the bike on a beach with loose sand. Well, since we where eight riders I could give them some entertainment and they could help me off the sand if I got stuck. At first the bike didn't steer, nore did it drive very well. Some more action with the throttle fixed that without problems. When I get photos from the other riders I'll return with these.
We returned for some food after a long day.I took the smallest Hamburger available for lunch during riding. 97 NKR, or 14$
On this photo you can see Micke with som pain in his leg, I'll push him to report about what brought him that too:

More to come later on:

kave screwed with this post 08-16-2004 at 06:12 AM Reason: Spelling errors corrected
Old 08-16-2004, 07:22 AM   #6
SteveLee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Great report/pics kave, nice to see some Africa Twins in action as well!

Steve
SteveLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #7
Blackpaw
Peter

Oddometer: 338
Great photos....What GPS set up were you using?

First some great photos, sorry though, at least for the vast majority of Utah, from my experience, where you were at was a little TOO green. Utah is the second driest state in the US.
I was curious about the GPS set up you had. I am looking for a new GPS and I saw that you had a PDA in your tank bag. It looked like a Pocket PC system and I was curious if you had a GPS antenna connected to it. I think such a set up would be very flexible.
Also, I wish we had African Twins over here in the states, at least as a regular item for sale. From what I have read they are supposed to be pretty nice bikes.
Thanks for the photos and story, looks like your crew had a fun time and I am thankful you shared with the rest of us.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:23 PM   #8
kave OP
Gravel rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpaw
First some great photos, sorry though, at least for the vast majority of Utah, from my experience, where you were at was a little TOO green. Utah is the second driest state in the US.
I was curious about the GPS set up you had. I am looking for a new GPS and I saw that you had a PDA in your tank bag. It looked like a Pocket PC system and I was curious if you had a GPS antenna connected to it. I think such a set up would be very flexible.
Also, I wish we had African Twins over here in the states, at least as a regular item for sale. From what I have read they are supposed to be pretty nice bikes.
Thanks for the photos and story, looks like your crew had a fun time and I am thankful you shared with the rest of us.
I guess I have to go to Utah one day with the bike as well then :)
The GPS I use is a Garmin iQue 3600. Advantages, it's cheap, can be used with any map with a program called Fugawi, even Sea maps or terrain maps from other sources than Garmin.
Disadvantages, it's not waterproof, vibrationproof, it's screen reflects the sun a lot.
The Africa Twin is a very nice bike, I can't believe why Honda didn't sell that bike in the US. I hope they come up with a better adventure bike than the Varadero.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 PM   #9
HMR
Alps & Dirt Roads

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpaw
The AT is nice OK. But it has only 65 hp and almost the same weight as the 100 hp 1200GS.

Using a palm PC as navigator has it's pros and cons. The palmtop is neither waterproof, vibration proof nor very good in sunshine. Take a look at the Garmin 276C before you do your GPS-shopping.

Attaching a couple of pictures taken in June from the same roads.

Old 08-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #10
iswoolley
Restless traveller

Oddometer: 194
Lurverly photos! Good to see Africa Twins featuring (well, supporting actors at least) again. Bring on the next days photos...

Iain
Old 08-22-2004, 05:32 AM   #11
AdventureRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Kave, nice report/pictures from our trip!
AdventureRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 06:07 AM   #12
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave
we didn't get any close contact with swedish or norwegian police, especially the latter can give you a quite high bill since it id depending on income. Up to 7000$ is not rare in norway for speeding. Here in Sweden maximum is 200$, and a lost license.
Hmm ? This is news to me.....
I know Finland has that type of tickets (world record is a ticket for $115000 or so). In Norway I think they highest fine is about $650, lost licence and jail time.

I have some pics too.....should I post it here or in a new thread ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 07:00 AM   #13
AdventureRider
Adventurer

I have some pics too.....should I post it here or in a new thread ?

Post it here
Attached Images

AdventureRider screwed with this post 08-22-2004 at 07:13 AM
Old 08-22-2004, 07:20 AM   #14
AdventureRider
Adventurer

photos!
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2004, 07:24 AM   #15