User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
stephen.stallebrass OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Battery recommendation

Do you have any battery recommendations?

Since i had the bike serviced a few weeks ago its been close once or twice to not starting in the mornings when cold. Maybe it's just the winter but I think I need a new battery. What do you reckon. Although the instrument panel start-up check seems good and strong. Probably should check volts first thing in the morning see if it's sufficiently charged before trying to turn it over.

I had NGK Iridium IX spark plugs fitted and full synthetic Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil put in during service... these wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Didn't have any problems last winter with standard service parts? Although I've heard that oem batteries aren't great and last only a 2-3 years... any truth in that? (mine is a 2008 with original battery and is kept outside overnight).
Old 12-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
Do you have any battery recommendations?

Since i had the bike serviced a few weeks ago its been close once or twice to not starting in the mornings when cold. Maybe it's just the winter but I think I need a new battery. What do you reckon. Although the instrument panel start-up check seems good and strong. Probably should check volts first thing in the morning see if it's sufficiently charged before trying to turn it over.

I had NGK Iridium IX spark plugs fitted and full synthetic Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil put in during service... these wouldn't have anything to do with it would it? Didn't have any problems last winter with standard service parts? Although I've heard that oem batteries aren't great and last only a 2-3 years... any truth in that? (mine is a 2008 with original battery and is kept outside overnight).
Which original battery? If the sides of the battery are black and the label says "Excide" I'm surprised it lasted that long, it may or may not be your issue depending on voltage AS the starter motor is turning, but that battery is junk, get it out of there.

If the battery has grey sides, It's a Deka made by East Penn, great battery. Check voltage AS the starter motor is engaged. If below 10.2, check to see if your charging system is working right. If it is, Replace the battery.

I don't recommend getting a battery from BMW. It's just a rebated battery marked up 100%

Get a Yuasa YTX14BS. They are pretty good, Or get a Deka ETX14, or ETX14BS, great battery. All drop right in.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
stephen.stallebrass OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Which original battery? If the sides of the battery are black and the label says "Excide" I'm surprised it lasted that long, it may or may not be your issue depending on voltage AS the starter motor is turning, but that battery is junk, get it out of there.

If the battery has grey sides, It's a Deka made by East Penn, great battery. Check voltage AS the starter motor is engaged. If below 10.2, check to see if your charging system is working right. If it is, Replace the battery.

I don't recommend getting a battery from BMW. It's just a rebated battery marked up 100%

Get a Yuasa YTX14BS. They are pretty good, Or get a Deka ETX14, or ETX14BS, great battery. All drop right in.
I think it's the original OEM one from the factory, don't know the make but it's black.

Now you've said the name Deka, I remember it reccomended on here in the past.

I've just learnt that Westco are quite good too???

Cheers
Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
I think it's the original OEM one from the factory, don't know the make but it's black.

Now you've said the name Deka, I remember it reccomended on here in the past.

I've just learnt that Westco are quite good too???

Cheers
Westoco doesent make power sports batteries, they make labels and stick them over other manufactures batteries. As to their product being good, it depends on who's battery they are currently rebadging.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
Old 12-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
stephen.stallebrass OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Westoco doesent make power sports batteries, they make labels and stick them over other manufactures batteries. As to their product being good, it depends on who's battery they are currently rebadging.
good to know...
Old 12-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
I know some people debate this but I've had nothing but great things to say about the Shorai lithium batteries. It dropped 7lbs of weight from the bike - and where the battery sits this is a great place to lose weight.

LFX14A1-BS12 $153 14a/hr
LFX18A1-BS12 $186 18a/hr

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-107009-F800-all.aspx
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thematt View Post
I know some people debate this but I've had nothing but great things to say about the Shorai lithium batteries. It dropped 7lbs of weight from the bike - and where the battery sits this is a great place to lose weight.

LFX14A1-BS12 $153 14a/hr
LFX18A1-BS12 $186 18a/hr

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-107009-F800-all.aspx
It is a great battery in SoCAL, but I have been seeing issues in cold climates even when people leave the lights on for a minute as the directions indicate. Failed solenoids from too low of voltage causing them to chatter, flat out failure to crank the bike fast enough to start the bike when it gets really cold.......

For race bikes, it is the perfect battery. For serious adventure riding, it's too new to be trusted in my opinion and what evidence there is is bad in extreme cold.

Read through this massive thread http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...d.php?t=218542 and you will find people's positive views turned negative with cold weather experience.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,535
Odyssey batteries are an extremely reliable and long life solution.
If weight saving was my primary concern I would choose antigravity or shorai, for everything else, an odyssey.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #9
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Odyssey batteries are an extremely reliable and long life solution.
If weight saving was my primary concern I would choose antigravity or shorai, for everything else, an odyssey.
Agreed, Odyssey makes the best adventure battery in the world, but it requires modding to get it to fit in the hole. Deka's are the bust direct drop in I know of.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #10
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
typical lifespan?

For the better brands like Deka or Odyssey what is the typical life span? 3 - 4 years?
I'm not interested in pushing my luck but nor am I interested in filling up the dump while emptying my wallet if unnecessary....

Batteries of simlar construction (AGM) seem to last about 3 - 4 years in the UPS units used in the wonderful world of corporate I/T... It's a different application to be sure, but the failure mode may be the same .............
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 AM   #11
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Agreed, Odyssey makes the best adventure battery in the world, but it requires modding to get it to fit in the hole. Deka's are the bust direct drop in I know of.
What kind of modding are we talking about here?
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
TowPro
I want to ride

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
nor am I interested in filling up the dump while emptying my wallet if unnecessary....
Actual they get recycled. With the cost of Lead, they make money recycling them.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
For the better brands like Deka or Odyssey what is the typical life span? 3 - 4 years?
I'm not interested in pushing my luck but nor am I interested in filling up the dump while emptying my wallet if unnecessary....

Batteries of simlar construction (AGM) seem to last about 3 - 4 years in the UPS units used in the wonderful world of corporate I/T... It's a different application to be sure, but the failure mode may be the same .............
Unfortunately F800 and F650 bikes have a habit of the ZFE randomly glitching and staying on thereby draining the battery flat overnight. This is extremely hard on a battery and terminal on most unless charged the very next morning. These bikes also have a higher parasitic draw and are unevenly heated by the ZFE radiating into one side of the battery.

Most factory equipped Deka batteries are getting tired but working from 09. More then half of Exide batteries from 09 have died.

I would say 1-3 years with a Yuasa/Exide and 3-4 with a Deka assuming your ZFE doesn't randomly kill it and you take good care of it with a GOOD charger, not to be confused for a Deltran or any other universal charger.

My guess is an Odyssey will last 5 under good conditions but it the bike hasn't been out long enough to know.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 479
What is a ZFE and what does it have to do with a battery?
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #15
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,991
Thanks Joel!

I've never slipped my battery up out of the case to identify the mfg - I'll do that shortly to figure out if I have the Exide or Deca and act accordingly ....

I keep one of these chargers on it which I hope is one of the good guys:

http://www.batteryminders.com/batter...--p-16151.html

VTBob: ZFE is the German acronym for the central engine computer
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote