Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #196
Ike Baker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Been following this thread since it started - some great analyses going on. I worked on a case involving widespread engine bearing failures; people who know a lot more than me said bearing failures are usually (but not always) a symptom of a larger problem - vibration, mis-alignment, asymmetric loading, etc. Their position was that in a well-designed and -built system, the bearing was capable of withstanding much more stress than the system would ever place on it. I will be interested to hear if the replacement bearings hold up.
Ike Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #197
F8GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
After receiving all the parts yesterday, as well as a blind bearing puller, I attempted to change out all 3 bearings. I couldn't get the bearings out with the puller. So I took the wheel to SJ BMW. They installed all 3 of my bearings and both seals under warranty. No questions asked.

They also indicated they have had a couple of other cases (TMEX, for one), and have heard of problems from other dealers.
F8GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:23 PM   #198
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Baker
Been following this thread since it started - some great analyses going on. I worked on a case involving widespread engine bearing failures; people who know a lot more than me said bearing failures are usually (but not always) a symptom of a larger problem - vibration, mis-alignment, asymmetric loading, etc. Their position was that in a well-designed and -built system, the bearing was capable of withstanding much more stress than the system would ever place on it. I will be interested to hear if the replacement bearings hold up.
He's right.
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #199
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
I'm assuming that is San Jose BMW?.... My service tech told me strait up the bearings would not be under warranty (after saying they have never seen or heard of a failure and they know it is only at 4500 miles, they haven't checked mine just yet (tomorrow I hope)).

If you can confirm this and maybe please post a phone number I will have my guy call your dealer so they can talk and share information of wheel bearing failures so I don't have to take a shit on their desk and act like an asshole trying to convince them of the problem (lol, not really... but maybe )
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #200
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Axle misalignment should cause wear to be one side of the centerline for half the rotation and on the opposite side for the remaining half. Clear as mud?
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #201
F8GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
I'm assuming that is San Jose BMW?.... My service tech told me strait up the bearings would not be under warranty (after saying they have never seen or heard of a failure and they know it is only at 4500 miles, they haven't checked mine just yet (tomorrow I hope)).

If you can confirm this and maybe please post a phone number I will have my guy call your dealer so they can talk and share information of wheel bearing failures so I don't have to take a shit on their desk and act like an asshole trying to convince them of the problem (lol, not really... but maybe )
Yes, San Jose BMW. 408-295-0205. My bike has 1257 miles on it. The service manager twisted the sprocket carrier bearing that I had removed and the rotor side bearing and immediately agreed they felt bad. There was never a question that it wouldn't be warranty.
F8GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #202
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8GS
Yes, San Jose BMW. 408-295-0205. My bike has 1257 miles on it. The service manager twisted the sprocket carrier bearing that I had removed and the rotor side bearing and immediately agreed they felt bad. There was never a question that it wouldn't be warranty.
Awesome thanks, if you are near Dallas Texas PM me and I will buy you a beer because you prob just saved me 120 bucks
Old 09-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #203
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Wheel Bearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
OK guys. I hacked apart my bearing to have a look. One single spot on the inner race had galled quite badly. This section is off to one side of center (marginally) and is 1 cm in length. This is what caught my attention when I cleaned the grease out of it to inspect it closer and no doubt what I felt when I spun it. Then I cut through the outer race to disassemble & get a better look. The entire inner surface of the outer race is starting to gall as well. Very slight at this point, but once it starts, you're hooped. What I find especially interesting is the wear pattern is not centered, but like the galling on the inner race, it is favouring one side, as though the bearing is not running centered.
Now stay with me here, this is my supposition. If the bearings were installed in the hub an unequal distance compared to the length of the spacer you would force the balls to run up on one side of the race rather than centered. Because the race is cupped away from centerline, the preload on the balls becomes greater the further they are forced up the taper or cup. So you have a bearing that although no load is being placed on it, is running under stress already. Add to that a small amount of lube (again, only my opinion) and you have a bearing that is going fail prematurely. What do you guys think?

Here's a link to some pics:
http://www.dualsportbc.com/photogall...sort=1&cat=817
That's what I think. The pipe/spacer is too short causing undue stress on the single bearing when the rear axle is torgued. The sprocket side has two bearings and is stronger but still has undue stress on them. I dont know if it's the spacer or the mechining in the hub. One or the other.LaPorte
Old 09-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #204
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,888
Just took my wheels off for a bearing swap. Gotta say, my rear bearing feel smooth as glass, and my wheels have been submerged a few times. But since I'm headed out in 2 weeks on a trip, I'm taking them out anyway. Can't risk getting burned like Glen did on a trip. It's all I can do at this point.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #205
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Just took my wheels off for a bearing swap. Gotta say, my rear bearing feel smooth as glass, and my wheels have been submerged a few times. But since I'm headed out in 2 weeks on a trip, I'm taking them out anyway. Can't risk getting burned like Glen did on a trip. It's all I can do at this point.
Mine were fine as well when I swapped tires yesterday. No time to replace them, so I'll just carry a spare and ride with my fingers crossed.

If the failures are due to a misalignment caused by the chain adjustment marks being off, there wouldn't be a single KLR on the road today.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM   #206
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
If the failures are due to a misalignment caused by the chain adjustment marks being off, there wouldn't be a single KLR on the road today.
Yabbut, KLR guys expect things to be a bit off on their bikes. BMW owners expect everything to be perfect and are shocked when it isn't. I checked my alignment (just eyeballed it) and it looks spot on.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #207
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,637
I wouldn't wait peeps

Motorcycles are like airplanes to me. Replace it before if fails.
Other wise prepare for gravity to take it's toll.

I checked mine and it felt wonky so I am going to SSBMW today to get a confirmation. Either way I think I will replace them anyways. With 12K on the bike the chances are higher.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #208
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
My service tech told me strait up the bearings would not be under warranty...

The word "warranty" was never used by either party in any exchange I had with the service advisor. Literally.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #209
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 645
I've checked the rears and all were in great shape. I mas in the mud a few times, and a few good water crossings too. 8700 Km.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #210
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Take this post for what you will, nothing said here should influence your decision if you decide to act on safety related concerns (and other lawyer type speak).

I don't think anyone needs to replace their bearings automatically because they believe BMW uses crap bearings. If these have been installed on other successful bikes and have survived on other BMW F800GS bikes they should be fine (could be a bad lot but the evidence does not support this).

The reason I state this is that bearing failures have been observed in 1/5 bearings (grated it is the highest load bearing). We need more information!

WARNING: Anyone who has experienced bearing failure/premature wear or replaced their bearings check your hub and bearing spacer components for wear, orientation, and dimensional accuracy. There is reason to believe you could experience the same situation regardless of the bearing construction.