Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #241
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,303
How many have had this problem? And what are the build dates of their bikes?

Also what are the symptoms of the issue?
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 AM   #242
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank
How many have had this problem? And what are the build dates of their bikes?

Also what are the symptoms of the issue?
Mine really doesn't show any symptoms with wheel on the bike.
When you take of your rear wheel the rotor side rear bearing is really rough feeling.

Tmex on the other hand described what happened to him quite clearly in post #1.

The build date on my bike is 08/08.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 05:40 PM   #243
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8GS
No, I meant lengthwise between the bearings. Before replacement, spinning one bearing spun the other because of the spacer. After I got it back from the dealer with new bearings, the spacer was loose and the spinning one bearing does NOT spin the other. Which way is correct????????
I believe the spacer should touch the inner races of the bearings when the bearings are seated. Spinning one bearing should cause the other to spin. I also think it should be possible to spin either side independently when holding one side from rotating with your finger. In other words, the touch should be very light.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #244
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,872
Here's a tidbid for ya. The F650 has SFK bearings and has 4 of them in the rear. My friend just pulled his rear wheel off and looked.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:08 PM   #245
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL COACHMAN
Now who would that be?

While headed out to West Fest about 3 weeks ago my F800 detonated the rear wheel bearing @ about 70 mph on hwy 160 near Laveta pass Co.

This destroyed the hub, rotor, rotor carrier, abs sensor and the swing arm I very nearly face planted trying to controll the bike.

Got towed by road side assistance 220 miles south to Santa Fe bmw.
They looked at the bike and told me it would not be covered under warranty!

With the help of inmate AlejoI had the bike crated and shipped back to St. Louis. My dealer Gateway bmwresolved the issue with bmw n.a. and the bike will be repaired under warranty. I've had numerous problems with this bike and was offered a sweet deal to get into a new 2010.

I was told at the time of my bearing failure that no F800 on record had ever experienced this failure.

At any rate my dealer really came through for me and bmw is fixing the bike.

Glen
Who?
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #246
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejo
Who?
That would be me
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #247
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
I believe the spacer should touch the inner races of the bearings when the bearings are seated. Spinning one bearing should cause the other to spin. I also think it should be possible to spin either side independently when holding one side from rotating with your finger. In other words, the touch should be very light.
I agree, the tolerance on this fit is very tight though... I am still waiting on word from my tech on my wheel bearings (my bike is in for a transmission failure (otherwise I would check it myself), won't shift out of first gear). If they say there is no problem with the wheel bearings I am going to be relived but will certainly double check as soon as I need new tires (should be soon since I'm using butter soft Metzler Karoo T).
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:34 PM   #248
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
maybe not the spacer.

I removed my wheel today, sure enough the bearings are notchy( is that a word?). As I turn one the other turns, via the spacer. They both feel rough. I pull the drive side bearing and it feels like new, as it almost is. The disc side is the culprit. I remove any excess material that the snap ring might leave, warm the hub and remove the bearing. It goes very hard. I roll the bearing in my fingers, MUCH SMOOTHER. Now I'm wondering if the bore is just to tight. I can't measure the bore past the snap ring grove with my dial calipers, that's all I have at home. Off to the shop(work) to get an inside mic. Now where was I? The drive side had about one to one and a half thou. crush, what one would expect. The disc side almost three thou crush, too much IMO. So........I'm thinkn' that the bore is just too tight. This could be why we are seeing failures on the disc side. Any thoughts?
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #249
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,634
replaced at dealer today under warranty.

Replaced with non-Chinese bearings, but still OEM. Its a warranty requirement or out of pocket expenses will be had.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #250
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I removed my wheel today, sure enough the bearings are notchy( is that a word?). As I turn one the other turns, via the spacer. They both feel rough. I pull the drive side bearing and it feels like new, as it almost is. The disc side is the culprit. I remove any excess material that the snap ring might leave, warm the hub and remove the bearing. It goes very hard. I roll the bearing in my fingers, MUCH SMOOTHER. Now I'm wondering if the bore is just to tight. I can't measure the bore past the snap ring grove with my dial calipers, that's all I have at home. Off to the shop(work) to get an inside mic. Now where was I? The drive side had about one to one and a half thou. crush, what one would expect. The disc side almost three thou crush, too much IMO. So........I'm thinkn' that the bore is just too tight. This could be why we are seeing failures on the disc side. Any thoughts?
Cisco
Yup, that was my first thought until I cut mine open and saw the wear pattern was off center. If the bore is too tight and there's not much lube to start with you're going to burn something up, isn't that the rule??
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #251
cisco
old fat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Yup, that was my first thought until I cut mine open and saw the wear pattern was off center. If the bore is too tight and there's not much lube to start with you're going to burn something up, isn't that the rule??
I would think so. Both of the bearings had lube. Not very much imo. There is also a "stain" on the outside of the bad bearing. The discoloration wont scrape off. I'm assuming this is from heat.The scenarios; are the spacer too long,no, the spacer too short, maybe, mine was not, misalignment of the axle,I think both sides of the hub would show systems, and I always use a caliper to measure one side to the other, The disc side having twice the crush as the drive side......now we're on to something.
Cisco
Old 09-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #252
Ebone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
This thread catch my attention.
My bike does not have any problem 'till now, 11500km. Just a f** amazing bike to go everywere.
Next time I move the rear wheel I'll carefully inspect the bearings. It looks and feel ok but never too mutch to check them out, right?

The thing that really impressed me is about the F650GS having 4 rear bearings and the 800GS just 3.

Is it right? Proceed?
Ebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #253
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,872
Yes, but I meant the single F650 having 4. But 3 in the stern hub is normal on most bikes I've seen.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #254
wscollay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
2010 F800 bearing build date 07/09

I have been following this thread, so I thought I would check the bearings on my 2010 with 600 miles. Yes, they are notchy like a roulette wheel. The one closest to the chain is OK and the two in the hub turn together with the spacer. I have to ride 100 miles to the dealer, so I should probably replace them.
wscollay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #255
cisco
old fat guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscollay
I have been following this thread, so I thought I would check the bearings on my 2010 with 600 miles. Yes, they are notchy like a roulette wheel. The one closest to the chain is OK and the two in the hub turn together with the spacer. I have to ride 100 miles to the dealer, so I should probably replace them.
When they remove the disc side look for a dark ring around the out side of the bearing.
Cisco