Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 AM   #361
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,887
checking in from the road. 1k miles into the trip with my SFK replacements. 95% off road so far and no issues yet. Im now in northern Maine and the bike has been taking it very well.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #362
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Cisco, I have just the one bearing failure. I have not mounted the new wheel as yet. Gotta wait for the broken leg to mend. I did order the F650GS center and side stand,and I am going with the Touratech lowering kit.
I was referring to your leg as the "other wheel". Any chance of warranty on that one?
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #363
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Took my back wheel to the dealer, I had them change all 3 bearings. The disk side bearing felt gritty (even their mech said it was bad). Currently in negotiations with dealer about it being a warranty issue. The dealer said that if they do it under warranty only the disk bearing will be covered. I told them that it's O.K., I just want the "mother ship" to have another recorded bearing failure.

I mounted the wheel Friday, and on Sunday I took the bike to track day and "spanked the monkey"! This bike rocks, no kicks ass. Bearings all good.

Pics on:

http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?l...W/GREY_JACKET/
Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 AM   #364
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk
Took my back wheel to the dealer, I had them change all 3 bearings. The disk side bearing felt gritty (even their mech said it was bad). Currently in negotiations with dealer about it being a warranty issue. The dealer said that if they do it under warranty only the disk bearing will be covered. I told them that it's O.K., I just want the "mother ship" to have another recorded bearing failure.

I mounted the wheel Friday, and on Sunday I took the bike to track day and "spanked the monkey"! This bike rocks, no kicks ass. Bearings all good.

Pics on:

http://4theriders.com/viewpics.php?l...2009/09.20.09-
thill/GS_YELLOW/GREY_JACKET/
Great pics!

Did your dealer replace with the same "stock" bearings or did you specify another brand/type?
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:21 AM   #365
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
Great pics!

Did your dealer replace with the same "stock" bearings or did you specify another brand/type?
Dealer replaced with "stock" BMW supplied bearings. I looked at them, they are NTN brand bearings with red seals.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM   #366
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Dealer replaced with "stock" BMW supplied bearings. I looked at them, they are NTN brand bearings with red seals.
Do you know the difference in these bearings as opposed to the ones your replacing? I'm just debating if I should replace mine too. Build date of 08/08 2009 F650GS. I do not do heavy off roading or water crossings. I mainly do street and hiway travelling with the occasional fire road or gravel road.
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #367
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
I was referring to your leg as the "other wheel". Any chance of warranty on that one?
Cisco
Got it. Am I slow or what? I can only insure. Warranty is long gone.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #368
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
Do you know the difference in these bearings as opposed to the ones your replacing? I'm just debating if I should replace mine too. Build date of 08/08 2009 F650GS. I do not do heavy off roading or water crossings. I mainly do street and hiway travelling with the occasional fire road or gravel road.
The bearing failure most likely is not an environmental factor (where you ride) but related to some mechanical abnormality. As long as you check the bearings whenever you have the wheel off you should have an idea before the bearing goes out. That said, the bearing failing could have serious safety concerns and if you can afford the cost of a pre-emptive replacement or get the dealer to replace under warranty that might be the prudent course of action. Having spent 25 years in the aircraft industry, I decided on replacement.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #369
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Quote:
The bearing failure most likely is not an environmental factor (where you ride) but related to some mechanical abnormality. As long as you check the bearings whenever you have the wheel off you should have an idea before the bearing goes out. That said, the bearing failing could have serious safety concerns and if you can afford the cost of a pre-emptive replacement or get the dealer to replace under warranty that might be the prudent course of action. Having spent 25 years in the aircraft industry, I decided on replacement.
I think this is the same thing we have been saying over the past dozen pages... The real question is: Is the mechanical abnormality with the bearing or with the hub/spacers?...

Hopefully after people put some miles on the new bearings we will know more, I am not sure how much more information/data we can get
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:58 AM   #370
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,887
I just heard of a front wheel bearing going south from my freind Zaner in Canada. He is getting it replaced today (hopefully) by his dealer.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #371
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I just heard of a front wheel bearing going south from my freind Zaner in Canada. He is getting it replaced today (hopefully) by his dealer.
Any extenuating circumstances DP? Mileage?

This could be good news / bad news. Bad in the sense that it is another instance of a bearing failure. Good in the sense that it might just be bad bearings in which case the fix is easy.

Then again, it may just be an outlier and we are no further along than we were before Zaner's bearing failed.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:27 PM   #372
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,415
I wish one of you guys would file a complaint with Natl. tran Board, maybe we would get an answer.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #373
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
I dropped my bike off at Max's today for the front axle recall. Along the way, I asked if there were any bulletins for the wheel bearings, rears in particular. The service manager said there were, but only for older models, and asked why I wanted to know...

I told him that there had been quite a few failure reports on the net, several catastrophic, which had prompted me to pull my wheel and check -- finding my rear hub bearings to be notchy (at 6000mi). He said they'd look at them -- the look on his face said "uh oh". I genuinely believe he hadn't heard of any issues yet. I'll be interested to hear what he has to say.

(They'd better damn warranty them)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:41 PM   #374
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
Ok, I gotta ask here: For those of you with f'd up bearings, did they feel at all "notchy" with the wheel on the bike? I spun mine and it's smooth. I tried seeing if there was any play by holding the wheel at 6 and 12 and rocking and 3 and 9 with no free play noted.

Do I have to remove the wheel from the bike to check?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #375
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Ok, I gotta ask here: For those of you with f'd up bearings, did they feel at all "notchy" with the wheel on the bike? I spun mine and it's smooth. I tried seeing if there was any play by holding the wheel at 6 and 12 and rocking and 3 and 9 with no free play noted.

Do I have to remove the wheel from the bike to check?
No play but mine was 'notchy'.. In fact the rotorside bearing plus spacer plus the next bearing all felt 'notchy' because there is enough crush that the dragging bearing affects/effects? the adjacent one. Mine was replaced today by Big Sky BMW no questions asked under warranty. They assured me they will report the case to the mothership. So today my F8 got a new front axle, a radiator hose fix that I guess isn't the best fix according to some reports and the fuel sensor and a rebalanced front tire.

v8toilet screwed with this post 09-25-2009 at 07:14 AM
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote