Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #556
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
I suspect there's also a timing element involved here. I would hope that now that people have been getting their bearings warrantied, word is getting back to BMW that rear bearings are failing at a very high rate. Maybe they've even seen this or other similar threads on the internetz. Either way, I know how big companies move, and it isn't fast. They're probably carefully and methodically looking into why, testing this and testing that. Eventually, they will figure out the problem and solve it via a new part, a service bulletin or a recall depending on what it will take to fix them problem.

If the cause is a too tight bore in the hub, doesn't that mean BMW is going to have to recall ALL the 800s made thus far?? It is pretty much only 800s that are failing right?
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #557
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
...word is getting back to BMW that rear bearings are failing at a very high rate.
Are they? I mean, yes, there have been some here with failed bearings. And others who have replaced them just because they feared having them fail. But how many have there been that have actually failed? I spend too much time here and at F800Riders and UKGSers, and I haven't read of more than a handful with actual failed bearings.

I'm not denying the problem, clearly failed bearings are a serious safety issue. Potentially deadly. Just questioning how big of a blip this might be on BMW's radar.

Anyone who has numbers that aren't just pulled from some orifice, feel free to set me straight.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #558
wscollay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Freeze heat vs press

thought that if you used the freeze/heat technique they should basically just drop in?

The heat freeze bearing on the drive side tapped in, the rotor side needed a hammer, a big one. This time I used a press method to install them cold, no heat or freeze. Now I just heard from the gardner that he saw an article in a cycle mag about shaft drive BMW's having rear bearing problems. Did we insult the Mother Ship? I would like to see more numbers as to what should be what.
wscollay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #559
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Are they? I mean, yes, there have been some here with failed bearings. And others who have replaced them just because they feared having them fail. But how many have there been that have actually failed? I spend too much time here and at F800Riders and UKGSers, and I haven't read of more than a handful with actual failed bearings.

I'm not denying the problem, clearly failed bearings are a serious safety issue. Potentially deadly. Just questioning how big of a blip this might be on BMW's radar.

Anyone who has numbers that aren't just pulled from some orifice, feel free to set me straight.

David
I had the same thought as you. In fact I even wondered aloud if it was another "sky is falling" issue. Then . . .

I did a list from this thread a couple of pages back[Post # 451]. Seems there were 25 or so from this site who had had their bearings go bad and had them replaced by BMW. The number surprised me. Given how few, out of the total number of 800GS owners, are on this site, that seems like a pretty high number. Also, if you go back and read through the thread like I did, there are VERY few people who have pulled their wheel and said, "my bearings are fine." Very few.

So I do believe there really is a BIG problem and it's just BMW's luck that no one has been killed or seriously injured to date.

I will be pulling my wheel and checking the bearings every 2,000 miles.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 10-15-2009 at 02:50 PM
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #560
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
BMW has recieved notice and waranted bearings on fewer then 1.5 tenths of 1% of F800GS's sold in the united states.
I suspect this is due to

a) too few people remove their wheel to check their bearings; and

b) the bikes are new enough that people haven't put sufficient miles on them to have them fail.

I'll bet that within a few months that percentage will increase quite a bit.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #561
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Who shot willy

preliminary word is that the crush fit of the bearing cup on the disk side is too tight.

BMW is still studying the problem to identify the problem for certain, ascertain the units affected, convince the subcontractor, and source and ship replacements.

I would think the request buy BMW for manufacturing the wheel for their motorcycles by a subcontractor came with specifications including the hub bore size. If the specification were not met by the subcontractor, then the Sub is on the hook. If the specifications were met by the Sub then it's BMW on the hook. What's to study!!!!!!!!!!

LP
Old 10-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #562
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,867
This is pretty cool to watch unfold though. Joel is our mole !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #563
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
This is pretty cool to watch unfold though. Joel is our mole !
Pretty cool as long as your wheel doesn't grenade while you're riding it!!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #564
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195

Indeed
ElJorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #565
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,102
I would guess that the hubs are machined by CNC and being off .0005" would be easy enough during a run if the cutting tool goes out of tolerance.

But that would happen ramdomly to both sides not just one side. Seems like a setup error to cause the same side to be off .0005" or more too tight.

Seems like someone would be required to actually mike the finish size on each wheel instead of just assuming they are good to go and slap a bearing in there with another automated hydralic machine tool!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #566
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Interesting if it is the bore. Makes sense.... if so then how many are affected. Would it be all or just some of the hubs made during a certain time period?

The axel recall affected only 750-800 bikes or so. Could be this affects a set number as well. Mfg defect or design defect? Big difference!!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #567
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 259
Shouldn't we be able to get the specification for the bore (measurement) and tolerance and grab some calipers and check our hubs to see if they are out of specification; too tight?
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #568
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
I dropped my wheel of at the dealer today. I don't like the feel of the bearings, but I'm sure they will say all is well.
I borrowed a bearing tool and will replace the bearings if my dealer doesn't do anything.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #569
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,867
yea, I know of course, dont take that the wrong way. I meant, and I think most everyone here knows it, the investigation as to the cause is whats kinda cool, obviusly not the result. Just strictly speaking of the power of this board and ideas and collective deduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJorgio

Indeed

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #570
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 911
Just to remind you guys, I believe I was the first F800 owner to experience a wheel bearing failure at speed. 70 fricken MPH!

I almost soiled my RP2's It isn't really funny though

My bike sustained damage to the tune of a new swing arm, hub, rotor, rotor bracket, abs sensor, axle, abs ring and of coarse the bearings were toast.

About $5000.00 with labor

My bike was fully loaded down for 2 weeks camping and riding in Colorado when this happened.

The bike was a real bitch to control and it damned near high sided me off of the mountain pass. ( I was coming down)

Check your bearings often!

Glen