I'm married. I have no luck,
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:29 PM   #47
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
I swear I should have just bought a KLR.
Not aiming at anyone here, just frustrated.
John I don't know if you heard my story but when my bearing failed I was on vacation. Because of the amount of damage the failure caused it effectively ended my trip.

My wife talked me into buying a new 09 KLR to finish the vacation out west.
I'll have a very hard time letting it go.
It was uber reliable
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I'm a sucker for bikes and ladies. I still love that little yellow bitch. A few nights out in the cold on the side of the road and a firm hand on my part should do wonders for her attitude. Hopefully I'll get the parts tomorrow and get back out there on Thursday.

I'm not going to marry her, however. I don't want all my luck to be of the bad variety.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #49
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Austrlia got shafted aswell!

Its ok lads, we here got shafted in Australia by BMW aswell.. Quality?? what the FARK is that?
the F8 is the best bike on the planet after you sort out all the shit that BMW couldn't get right, rims, suspension, bearings only to mention a few..

BMW can piss off! they make me mad, my daughters chinese import 4 wheeler has better wheel bearings and less oil leaks than my F8, it will probably outlast the Bemma aswell

Now to the bearing issue.. ive had issues as well,one collapsed and the others were buggered, all seals and bearings were replaced, stuff BMW warranty, they will only put back in the crap they started with so i took into my own hands. they are a chinese bearing by the way,they used one NSK out of the 5 needed..

so i have replaced all seals and bearings with high speed bearings and good seals on a few mates bikes as well, dont waste your time with ceramic just use a good sealed bearing , Timken, NSK or something similar.

tell everyone you know who owns a F8 or F6 twin, replace them now no matter how many klms they have done because they will fail, whether at home or in the middle of nowhere just replace them..

F.U BMW , where has the quality gone?

LILGS screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 04:00 AM
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #50
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
No, no you shouldn't.

Realize that every motorcycle out there has it's share of issues
Not sure that I agree with that. I have 38k miles on one of my bikes with zero issues. It's never been back to the dealer since the day I bought it. O wait, I lost a chain guard screw on the way to Great Slave Lake (after 1500 miles of dirt), so it's not perfect.
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 AM   #51
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
LilGS would you by chance have the part no's (not the bmw part No, the bearing code No) for those bearings and seals?
Something that has bothered me is the wheel spacers, they bear on a seal at the inner end, how is this lubed? One of the seals on my bike appears to be falling apart already.
I'm with you on the quality thing, if they didn't have BMW written on them you'd reckon they were a cheap peice of junk.
For instance the headlight support that on the boxers is steel tubing, on the F8 it's plastic, have a look at it, it is complex and no doubt hugely expensive, but it is as weak as piss, I know, I've busted mine in a low speed off, I fixed it with a bit of sheet steel and pop rivets, but it sure doesn't smack of quality.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #52
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Well, you asked.
I don't think you should HAVE to.
You bought a quality bike, right?
Well, you bought a Beemer... So actually, No.

Sorry.
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 AM   #53
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps
//
Just fix the bike and go riding. I realize you've got an unusual problem with your bike, hopefully it'll get sorted. Maybe you've got the same luck as the guy who bought a weestrom and had all of the valve guides go bad before 10,000 miles.
Citation? I did a search here for DL650 vavle guides and V-Strom valve guides and only got a couple of results.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:10 AM   #54
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
bEARING FAILURE

I just got thru reading F800Riders.org and they have mentioned several problems with the same bearing. Will BMW address this problem. I'd rather pay extra for a reliable bearing then be broke down with so little miles on the bike.
Mariner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:58 AM   #55
LILGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
LilGS would you by chance have the part no's (not the bmw part No, the bearing code No) for those bearings and seals?
Something that has bothered me is the wheel spacers, they bear on a seal at the inner end, how is this lubed? One of the seals on my bike appears to be falling apart already.
I'm with you on the quality thing, if they didn't have BMW written on them you'd reckon they were a cheap peice of junk.
For instance the headlight support that on the boxers is steel tubing, on the F8 it's plastic, have a look at it, it is complex and no doubt hugely expensive, but it is as weak as piss, I know, I've busted mine in a low speed off, I fixed it with a bit of sheet steel and pop rivets, but it sure doesn't smack of quality.
Not a problem, i will post this in the Aussie section as well so every can be aware of this problem that clearly shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

all right, here is the details you all need to know to rectify this problem on the F800. (I cannot verify these measurements on the F650Twin with the cast wheels.)

You will need the following:
BMW F800GS 08-09 wheel bearing/seal measurements & Part numbers

5 x 6204 high speed bearings - sealedUse a good quality bearing that you can source.

3 x 30 x 47 x 7 - 30mm ID x 47mm OD x 7mm wide- seals2 in the rear and one for front.

1 x 25 x 47 x 7 -25mm ID c 47mm OD x 7mm wide- seals

Front seal, front shaft fits into this seal on the RHS

The rear wheel uses 3 bearings, one in each end of the hub and one in the cush drive.

Tools Required for job:
Internal circlip pliars, hammer and punch, flat screwdriver or seal removing tool, bearing removal tool or long punch. be gentle on the hubs.. they will be dear!

Hints and tips..
1) some bearings may be corroded into the hub as water may have gotten in past the seals as a result of pressure washing your bike or a damaged seal. apply enough force but be aware of corrosion.

2) when you remove your aluminium spacers you will probably notice they have some deep grooves in them, if they are bad replace them or use a 30mm speedi sleeve so the seal can run on a hardened surface, the seals will last a heap longer. the speedi sleeves will cost a lot more and may not be required.

3) use rubber grease on your seals lightly so the spacers aren't dry and don't rip the new seals. if they get dry they will squel

4) there are circlips retaining the bearings, remove these first.. then fit the bearing with the circlip groove first then place the spacer in between the 2 bearings then fit the outer bearing onto the spacer leaving enough preload so you can spin the bearings freely.

5) FU BMW! you should have done this!

Cheers,
LILGS..

LILGS screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 04:59 AM
LILGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:52 AM   #56
Mariner55
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
bitch batch of bearings

Thanks Lilgs.
Mariner55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #57
guzzimike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
Good work mate, thanks a lot.

East is East & West is West 2008
http://www.advrider.com/forums/ad.php?t=400050
A Long Weekend 2009
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=523893
All the Way to Nowhere & Back Again. 2010
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:29 AM   #58
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,244
Yes, we had the rear bearing failure also, but I caught it early. Or actually my wife reported a slight wobble feeling in corners on her 09 F650GS. At slow speed she said it was ticking.

I put it up on centerstand and moved the wheel by hand, sure enough ticking. Tested sideways force for slack, but it was only slack at one point in rotation.

Pulled the wheel, bearing very rough rolling. Took the wheel into dealer they replaced both bearings and seals and greased well under warranty.

That was about 4000 miles, now nearly 13,000 miles and all is well.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #59
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Thanks lilgs!!! Awesome post. I guess I have some work to do. I worry about the poor guy scooting along near triple digits when that rear bearing lets go. It would be next to impossible to save it. BMW has a very serious issue here. This is definitely not a random failure as I originally thought.

My GF is an attorney. As much as I hate to get attorneys involved in anything, I feel like pointing her at the NTSB to get on this before someone gets killed. I doubt BMW will be proactive judging by recent history.

New mantra: I you love someone, don't let them ride this bike until you fix the wheel bearings.

tmex screwed with this post 08-26-2009 at 08:38 AM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #60
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Citation? I did a search here for DL650 vavle guides and V-Strom valve guides and only got a couple of results.
Search again...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=160731&page=5
The entire thread is about the failure but you don't get to the cause until page five.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote