Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM   #646
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
Yetigs

The two people I spoke to both said, that TOO MUCH pressure from a tight bore will cause premature bearing failure. The bearings are manufactured with some free play to compensate for crush. Crush is the force used to keep the outer race from spinning in the bore. When that free play is collapsed due to to much crush, the bearing will failure prematurely.

Sorry for the confusion.

LP
Coulda been the beers I was drowning my sorrow over the Chargers' pathetic play last night too.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #647
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Add me to the list. And thanks to all who've participated in this thread. I'm about a week or two away from re-attempting my South America ride.

I finally got off my ass and checked mine. The chain side bearing is fine and smooth, the disc side is notchy and rough. I'm not sure how far I could have gone, but certainly not past Panama. Hell, probably not past the Mexican border!

Oh yeah, I have about 16,000 miles on mine.
Sorry to hear it, you're on the list. What's your build date?

If people would send me a PM with their build date I would appreciate it. It helps to see if any pattern develops. So far the pattern is that there is no pattern. Seems bikes built early to very recently are failing. Which suggests a BIG problem for BMW.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 10-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #648
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
The service manager at Wild West Honda in Katy, TX (BMW shop, too) checked out my bearings. First, the sprocket side and said that that felt ok. I told him to check the other side now. "Ahhh, this one is definitely worse". They've ordered a set for me under warranty. I'll post again after the job is finished.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #649
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
The service manager at Wild West Honda in Katy, TX (BMW shop, too) checked out my bearings. First, the sprocket side and said that that felt ok. I told him to check the other side now. "Ahhh, this one is definitely worse". They've ordered a set for me under warranty. I'll post again after the job is finished.
New bearings by them self won't fix the problem. You need to address the bore. It seems that your local machine shop would be able to help.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #650
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Indeed, I understand that, for sure, but I'm heading for Mexico and beyond and what I had was just about shot. I agree, all I've done is buy myself some more time but the root problem still exists. I was happy they agreed it was warranty, such as it is. I'll take what I can get.

Hey, I guess what I could do is remove and reinstall the bearing a bunch of times and wear that bore out!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #651
EasyJet_RC
Joyrider

Oddometer: 51
another one bites

So I took my bee in for it's 10k (km) service as we're off to Perth next week.

Told the dealer about this tread and asked that they check the rear bearing - Got the phonecall about an hour later - they are shot !

Will be replaced under warranty, and I'll have to wait a day for parts delivery from Melbourbe - said that I could bring it in when we're back from Perth for a check-up... I recon I'm gettin it done @ halfway!

Build date is april 09...

At lease I got to play with an 800R for the last 2 days ...a black and white one
EasyJet_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #652
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyJet_RC
So I took my bee in for it's 10k (km) service as we're off to Perth next week.

Told the dealer about this tread and asked that they check the rear bearing - Got the phonecall about an hour later - they are shot !

Will be replaced under warranty, and I'll have to wait a day for parts delivery from Melbourbe - said that I could bring it in when we're back from Perth for a check-up... I recon I'm gettin it done @ halfway!

Build date is april 09...

At lease I got to play with an 800R for the last 2 days ...a black and white one
You're on the list.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #653
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Wow, I'm relieved. My dealer says my bearings are just fine and I'm a fucking retard.
Some things just stay the same I guess. I'll be replacing two bearings and a seal on my own. Once I have the bad bearings in hand, I will return to the dealer for some more abuse.
John, are you planning to hone the wheel bore when you replace the bearings, and if so how are you going to do it? I want to know so that I do it differently - you being a retard and all.

Actually I do not have a clue how to do this with the tools I have, and I have a lot of tools. At this moment I am planning to send the wheel to Woody and have a rim laced on (18") as well. It seems to me that removing material from the wheel is a delicate operation that could go very wrong.

Cisco, how do you recommend doing this? Emory cloth?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #654
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,730
My wheels are at Buchanan's at this time. I will see what they suggest. Since they will have the wheel apart, it may be a simple process.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #655
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,692
2nd Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
My wheels are at Buchanan's at this time. I will see what they suggest. Since they will have the wheel apart, it may be a simple process.
I would have taken the wheel to a couple of other motorcycle repair shops and got a write up. that way you can flame your dealer through BWNA and the BBB.

I can't say it enough how lucky I am to have South Sound BMW as my shop. They are the tops!
Old 10-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #656
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
John, are you planning to hone the wheel bore when you replace the bearings, and if so how are you going to do it? I want to know so that I do it differently - you being a retard and all.

Actually I do not have a clue how to do this with the tools I have, and I have a lot of tools. At this moment I am planning to send the wheel to Woody and have a rim laced on (18") as well. It seems to me that removing material from the wheel is a delicate operation that could go very wrong.

Cisco, how do you recommend doing this? Emory cloth?
Mr. Mex; Emery with an educated finger. A spring hone will get you a tapered hole, not good. I'm very curious about the configuration of Woody's hone, going into a blind hole and all. Someone ( sorry for not knowing who) suggested using a sharpie, not a bad idea. Measure often.
Cisco p.s. how is the" other wheel "coming along?
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #657
dukedar
60 easy payments!

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
Someone ( sorry for not knowing who) suggested using a sharpie, not a bad idea.
Blue ink for machinists might work well also... The kind used when drawing on parts.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #658
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,219
Another trick will be to reconize when BMW fixes the problem at the factory level and is shipping bikes with the corrected wheel. When they do, I'll stratigize to get one.
Free.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM   #659
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Another trick will be to reconize when BMW fixes the problem at the factory level and is shipping bikes with the corrected wheel. When they do, I'll stratigize to get one.
Free.

I assume you mean just the new wheel, not the whole damn bike. You and I both have far to many "upgrades" to our bikes to trade them in at this point.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:32 PM   #660
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Curious

I read somewhere that all five wheel bearings (two in the front wheel and three in the rear wheel) are 6204's. Is this true. If it is, I was woundering what the bore size is on the front wheel hub? Front bearings don't seem to be having any trouble. Last time i looked, the front wheel does the same miles as the rear wheel?