http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619683

Save 5 bucks on your Smugmug, use my discount code
hQo9Atub1N9jg

guzzimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:01 AM   #677
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,324
The way the complaint was written expresses heresay and speculation. I think it has to be wriitten with stronger, and more fact based language. But that's just my opinion, which is uneducated in filing these complaints.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #678
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
I read somewhere that all five wheel bearings (two in the front wheel and three in the rear wheel) are 6204's. Is this true. If it is, I was woundering what the bore size is on the front wheel hub? Front bearings don't seem to be having any trouble. Last time i looked, the front wheel does the same miles as the rear wheel?
I seem to have been the only one with front bearing troubles (both bearings and seals replaced under warranty). I haven't checked the rears yet with the wheel off, but no looseness yet with the wheel on the bike. I'll check them in the spring when I replace the worn out Mitas.
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #679
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Front wheel bearings

zaner32

If you are the only one with bad front bearings, than you can say that replacing the bad bearigs probably will fix your problem. The rear bearings is another story.
I wish all the folks that are being considerate and taking the time to report their bearing problems would list the year of the bike, build date if they know it and the miles when they discovered the problem. That might show a pattern that would help getting this resolved.
I was so excited to be buying a BMW motorcycle, never owned one. I always thought that this was the top of the line in motorcycles and that's why they cost so much money.
Boy do I feel stupid, I put down a non refundable deposit and have to give the dealer $12,000 dollars in 3 to 4 weeks when my bike gets here, for a bike with a engineering F**kup. I am having a hard time swallowing this buying experience. That explains all my posts. I was hoping that the problem had been fix by BMW.

LP
Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 AM   #680
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
zaner32
Boy do I feel stupid, I put down a non refundable deposit and have to give the dealer $12,000 dollars in 3 to 4 weeks when my bike gets here, for a bike with a engineering F**kup. I am having a hard time swallowing this buying experience. That explains all my posts. I was hoping that the problem had been fix by BMW.

LP
Don't worry about it. Other than the rear bearing issues, the bikes are great. You've got a good warranty and the issue should be fixed soon(ish). Just check the rear bearings every few thousand miles or more often and you're good to go.

I love my 800GS!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #681
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
zaner32

If you are the only one with bad front bearings, than you can say that replacing the bad bearigs probably will fix your problem. The rear bearings is another story.
I wish all the folks that are being considerate and taking the time to report their bearing problems would list the year of the bike, build date if they know it and the miles when they discovered the problem. That might show a pattern that would help getting this resolved.
I was so excited to be buying a BMW motorcycle, never owned one. I always thought that this was the top of the line in motorcycles and that's why they cost so much money.

LP
You are getting a bad ass maching LP. Every bike has some flaws, finding them and fixing them are part of any ownership experience. You will like your F8 a lot. You can be quite sure of that.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM   #682
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,670
Tony, you are beginning to sound like me and you are not officially an owner yet.. You will love the bike and hate the company that makes it. BMW will never admit a problem, but behind the scenes they will fix the non-problem, (issue a recall if DOT catches them) provide an update to dealers and make it better.

Quote:
zaner32

LP
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #683
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,901
I read most of this thread but not all, so go easy on me.

Are we sure that this is a recurring, or permanent problem?

In other words, if I find that my bearings are failing and have them replaced, is it certain that the replacements will fail prematurely?

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #684
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,041
Certain? No. Highly likely? Yes.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #685
zaner32
In over my head

Oddometer: 646
Quote:
zaner32

LP
The 800 will put a friggin' smile on your face, it's a kickass bike that will perform WAY better than any KTM on road, and will also do off road a lot better than any VSTROM.

I just rebuilt the topend on my DR350 and took it for it's break-in run today. The DR is a lot more fun in the tough stuff, but it friggin' sucks on the road.

You'll love the 800, I know I do, and I have no intention of getting rid of it anytime soon.

I don't think I ever had a bike that had no flaws...
GIXXER --hard on wrists and back, cam issues
RF900 ---transmission issues
KLR650 --Doohickey, suspension, top heavy, no power, BAD STOCK BEARINGS
DR350SE --Suspension, short fuel range

F800GS
-it'll do this:

and this:

And still capable of following along with these:
zaner32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #686
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
not an owner yet

Thanks yetigs, tmex, itsatdm and zaner32 for the words of encouragement. Always wanted to get a street bike, never really had one. This was sort of a bucket list thing. Way more money than I have ever spent on a motorcycle. But it's a BMW there the best, right. I think if you pull off the BMW emblem you might see the name Maico under it.
I had two of those----------Actually they were pretty good bikes.

Just fustrated.

I was hoping that BMW had seen the mistake and corrected it. I guess it will be another campfire story. Like the ones I have of the older KTM's, Honda's, Husky's, Bultaco's on and on and on.

Hell I am ready to go ride now, get that POS here so I can go out and trash it.

Damn the bearings, grab another gear and gas-it.

Thanks

LP

LaPorte screwed with this post 10-23-2009 at 12:35 PM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #687
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 573
"I was so excited to be buying a BMW motorcycle, never owned one. I always thought that this was the top of the line in motorcycles and that's why they cost so much money."

Not to take away from the issue of some having bearing problems but I keep hearing the above sentiment over and over. I am not sure what other people have been paying, but my F800GS was comparable in price to the V-Strom and Varadero.

This isn't a $21,000 1200 Adventure.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #688
mapuda
Crash Tested

Oddometer: 265
other issues aside

Do not have any fear in purchasing this bike. I have found it to be one of the most enjoyable and fun bikes to ride that I have ever owned and I have owned 8 so far. This is more fun to ride on the street than my FZ1 and a hoot in the dirt.

The only issues that I have had have been the bearing and twice it stalled repeatedly on me. I have not experienced the issue with the carbon canister getting wet in the pouring rain 'cuz I live in one of the most arid places in CONUS.

I will own this bike for a long time.
mapuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #689
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Another one.

YetiGS,

Add my name to the list. I just had my rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty at 6,356 miles, during the 6,000 mile service. According to the tech, they were "noisy and notchy."

My bike is a 2009, build date in August of 2008.

I'll echo other sentiments here. I sold three bikes to get my F800GS. It's the only bike I have now. It's the best and most versatile bike I've ever owned. (Out of 11.) I'm super happy with it.

Rob in Seattle

robhar54 screwed with this post 10-23-2009 at 06:40 PM
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #690
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
In the last couple of years I've owned:
  • R1100s
  • R1150RT
  • R1150RSL
  • KTM 640 Adventure
  • 2 Husky TE-610's
  • KTM 990 Adventure
  • R100GS with sidecar
  • Ural Patrol
  • Husky TE-510
Even though I still have the TE-510, for the first time in a long time I finally own a bike that could be my only bike. For the first time in years, I own a bike that I can look at and imagine owning it for years to come. It's light and nimble enough to do anything I've ever done in Baja and fast and comfortable enough to do everything I've done in Alaska, and even better. And 50+ MPG it's a fine commuter. The only things I wish it had are:
a stronger front rim
a larger gas tank
an 18" rear wheel, and that's about it! I can live with that

OBTW, here's how I fixed my charcoal cannister:
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote