User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 07:44 AM   #721
GJGSRider
carver

Oddometer: 68
wheel bore hone

I honed the wheel bores with a brake cylinder hone. The one I have came from NAPA and has three small medium grit stones. It attaches to a drill motor. Keep the rpm down to 200 or so. I used WD-40 for lube. I stopped often and re-measured. I did the work with the wheel intact, ie spokes, ABS ring, tube and tire.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #722
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGSRider
I honed the wheel bores with a brake cylinder hone. The one I have came from NAPA and has three small medium grit stones. It attaches to a drill motor. Keep the rpm down to 200 or so. I used WD-40 for lube. I stopped often and re-measured. I did the work with the wheel intact, ie spokes, ABS ring, tube and tire.

GJGSRider

Thanks for the info. Sounds doable.

LP
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 AM   #723
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,692
I'm far from being an expert on this. So as a layman, I ask: If the radius of the hub is not the same at all points of the circumference, could that cause a problem both on bearing wear, wheel alignment, or on wheel balancing? Or are these dimensions so small that it will be ok with some level of difference?
Thanks
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJGSRider

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 AM   #724
BMWHillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
GJGSRider

Thanks for the info. Sounds doable.

LP
Why would you even need to do this? In Your previous post you said you could use a C3 bearing instead?

Quote:
The new measurements for the disc side is 46.94mm .06mm/.025" smaller ID, to tight for a 6204-2RS-C0 bearing but not to tight for a 6204-2RS-C3 bearing.
BMWHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #725
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWHillbilly
Why would you even need to do this? In Your previous post you said you could use a C3 bearing instead?
Yeah, what he said. From your post#727 [LaPorte] above where you said Woody corrected his measurements, it sounds to me like the solution is to use a C3 bearing. Why risk honing the hub and fucking it up, when you could just run a C3 bearing and be done with it?

Am I missing something?

I also would like to get Woody's feedback on your post.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #726
wscollay
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
C3 bearings

I buy my bearings at an independent bearing shop. Their quite common, so NAPA might have them. Ask by bearing # 6204-2RS1/C3 or C2 or what ever. The last bearings I put in were C3 on both sides so I'll see what happens.
wscollay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #727
RedHawk47
Adventurer

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
I'm far from being an expert on this. So as a layman, I ask: If the radius of the hub is not the same at all points of the circumference, could that cause a problem both on bearing wear, wheel alignment, or on wheel balancing? Or are these dimensions so small that it will be ok with some level of difference?
If you take a thousandth of an inch off one side of the bore it would move the wheel off "center" by half a thousandth. I doubt that the wheel or tire are that true to begin with.

Of more concern is that the new bore is round. If it isn't the bearing may run tight and loose causing undue wear.
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #728
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
C3 bearings

BMWHillbilly wrote

I did say the C3 bearing has more free play than the C0. But I don't know for a fact that the OEM bearings are C0's, assuming the OEM bearing is a C0 the C3 would give you 18 to 36 microns (30 microns = .001") more free play between the ball bearings and the races. It will still be harder to press in because it's still 47mm OD. But would have the extra free play to compensate for some of the tight fit.

Do you know what the OEM bearings are other than 6204? I don't and your not going to get the information for you friendly BMW dealer!

This was a guess-ti-ment on my part, I plan to do more checking around.

On the boring.
I was curious how GJGSRider did his. I have been told that honing would be difficult to keep the bore true and round. So yes if the OEM bearings are C0's then the C3 would be a better solution than honing. Again this is a guess on my part. I am not a machinist. I am just a very frustrated soon to be BMW owner looking for a way to repair a problem.
LP
Old 10-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #729
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
I have had 5 years experience as a machinist (4 amateur, 1 professional). Trying to get 1 thousandth off an aluminum hub bearing race is near impossible with standard machining tools. I would challenge anyone to keep the bore concentric and even. I have resisted posting my opinion several times in the past days; I honestly think anyone trying to shave their hub by hand is a lunatic.

I am waiting on the result of my BMW shop checking my bearings under warranty for free after I have put 4000 hard miles (dirt, sand, rain, 600 miles in one day, etc) on the new bearing they put in a couple weeks ago. If these are defective I will pressure them to report to BMW (and I will as well) there is a problem with the hub. I still have no plan if I don't get a new hub, etc, but I will not be attacking my hub with sandpaper etc...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #730
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,715
Also, my experience with bearings is that if the race is not even and circular (never mind concentric with the force or shaft) the bearing will wallow out the race and you will have catastrophic unrepairable problems in no time.

Good luck...
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:23 PM   #731
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Talking My Advice

My advice, for what it's worth;
1st check your bearings, if they are rough ,inform your dealer.
2nd take your hub to your local machine shop. Look for the guy with the manual machines,with more then five years experience, maybe some gray hair. The guy sitting behind a keyboard with a shop full of cnc's may not be the right choice. He'll get the bore to the right size, and concentric to the other side. Your bearings will thank you.
3rd write you report to the GOV.
'nough said.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #732
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Well, there you go ruining a perfectly good thread with reason and logic.

I mean, really, wouldn't we all rather have a thread where people cry foul that BMW, KTM, Honda, et al. made a bad product, what were they thinking, etc., then, go ahead and affect the repairs yourself and bitch that the manufacturer didn't fix it and then moan some more stating how their dealer at BMW, Honda, KTM, et. al. knew nothing about the issue because no one has reported it through the appropriate channels.

Really, what fun would that be?
Old 10-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #733
5thTry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Eh? Two more bearing failures

Add me to the list. Miles 6,200 built 07/08. Took my '09 800GS in to the dealer for the 6k service and after reading this thread asked them to pull off the rear wheel and check the bearings. Sure enough, they were "rough" and "would definitely fail" before too long. They were replaced under warranty with no questions.

Talking with the service manager he said his bearings had also gone bad on his 800GS with low milage! I asked what the problem was and would simply replacing the bearings solve he issue. He said they had no info from BMW and didn't know what was causing it, but said the replacement bearings were "different" in that they were produced by a different manufacturer than the stock bearings.

This is a good shop, so I guess I'll stay in contact with them and see what happens in the next 6K miles.
5thTry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 PM   #734
chunter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Mine too.

My rear bearing (the one on the rotor side) was shot. 2009 bike with just under 10,000 miles on it. It had sideways play in it to the point where the rotor actually started rubbing on the ABS sensor and the caliper mount. My chain tension has always been correct and my wheel has always been on perfectly straight.

I just got my bike back from the dealership today. They replaced the bearings and seals. Seems ok for now, but who knows.

Aloha,
Charlie
chunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #735
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Also, my experience with bearings is that if the race is not even and circular (never mind concentric with the force or shaft) the bearing will wallow out the race and you will have catastrophic unrepairable problems in no time.

Good luck...
That's true, but you are overstating the case. If you are honing .001 or 2 , you can't get it out of round enough for that to happen. It's aluminum. There could be that much variance side-side just from mechanical deformation.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote