Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #751
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
I was surprised, too, regarding the list of items being sent. No, all I had was a crunchy rotor-side wheel bearing. No other damage or anything. I would have been blissfully unaware of even that if it weren't for this thread.

I really hope that everybody with this issue will have a good dealing with their dealer. As some of you may know, I'm from Vancouver, WA and rode through Houston on my way down towards Mexico. My first dealing with Wild West Honda/BMW was to have my valves checked. They took me that day.

Then, I rode to Mexico where I broke my leg south of Copper Canyon and came back to Houston to heal up (thanks SheepShagger!). Wild West Honda/BMW again took care of me by warrantee'ing the fuel pump.

Now, based on this thread, I took the bike in one more time for this bearing issue. Again, Wild West Honda/BMW and Dan Drom just simply rocked.

There are differences in dealerships. I know that I've lived in cities where I would have had to fight my local dealer to get any results. I hope everybody will have the same results I've been having

I will be sure to post part # details and stuff when I go to pick the bike up. PM me if you have any specific questions you think I should ask while I'm there. After I pick it up I'm heading directly back to Mexico and beyond, so after that it will be too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Just looked at your original post:

Did you have more damage than just crunchy bearings? Was the axle part of the front axle recall or are you talking rear axle? Why in the world would they send new adjusters? Hmm.

WRT a new hoop, I'd probably have the shop lace me a new one if offered, since they'd already be doing the labor, all you'd need is to order a new rim, rather than deal with all the shipping and outside labor. But I'm cheap.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #752
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Just looked at your original post:

Did you have more damage than just crunchy bearings? Was the axle part of the front axle recall or are you talking rear axle? Why in the world would they send new adjusters? Hmm.

WRT a new hoop, I'd probably have the shop lace me a new one if offered, since they'd already be doing the labor, all you'd need is to order a new rim, rather than deal with all the shipping and outside labor. But I'm cheap.
Maybe the cat is not out of the bag yet. Better, maybe they don't know how many cats are in the bag. So not knowing yet what is the actual cause of the problem, they are taking care of potential causes by changing hub, adjusters, besides the bearing itself.

Lion
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #753
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Bearings OK, cush bumpers apart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_enduro
Bottom line: I'm inspecting my bearings, and will be looking into a better make of bearing, pending how this thread goes over time.
Well, the bike is at 2000 miles so I decided to pull the wheel and inspect the bearings. So far, both sides feel OK - nice and smooth. A couple of things though:
  • Lots of grease in there. The axle and bearings were full of it. Perhaps that's where the 2 1/2 hours of labor went at BMWOA at my 600 mile service (that's a rant for another time).
  • However, inside the hub - one of the rubber cush bumpers (say that three times real fast) was broken at the small section where the two major sections join, and one was cracked.
Is this a problem?

My best guest is that the little section between the larger rubber pieces help keep the parts from flopping around when installing the other half of the hub, but once everything is together, it shouldn't matter - right?

Anyway - I'll check again at 4000 miles.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 03:40 PM   #754
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

One of mine has been broken like you describe since 13,000 miles ago. I consider it a non-issue other than making it more of a PITA when reinstalling the hub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_enduro
[*]However, inside the hub - one of the rubber cush bumpers (say that three times real fast) was broken at the small section where the two major sections join, and one was cracked.[/LIST]Is this a problem?

My best guest is that the little section between the larger rubber pieces help keep the parts from flopping around when installing the other half of the hub, but once everything is together, it shouldn't matter - right?

Anyway - I'll check again at 4000 miles.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #755
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,870
How many miles you got logged on that bike now drrags ?

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #756
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

"What is your first name? Wait, I'm not sure... Ok, first name Not. What is your last name?"
I'm not sure (bike's at the dealers) but it's somewhere between 15 and 16k miles, or maybe I've passed 16k miles now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
How many miles you got logged on that bike now drrags ?
Old 11-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #757
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Idiocracy classic... and yes I did just try to say "rubber crush bumpers" three times fast much to my own amusement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
"What is your first name? Wait, I'm not sure... Ok, first name Not. What is your last name?"
I'm not sure (bike's at the dealers) but it's somewhere between 15 and 16k miles, or maybe I've passed 16k miles now.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #758
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Hi all,

You can add me to the list! Left bearing is gone on an F800Gs.. the spacer in between the left and right bearings seems to have come lose too, has that happened to any of you?
My bike has about 8K miles on and I am not sure when it was manufactured (where do I check?), but picked it up in late July 2008 (UK bike).. so I guess it was built about a month earlier or so.

Cheers!
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #759
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR5ESU
Hi all,

You can add me to the list! Left bearing is gone on an F800Gs.. the spacer in between the left and right bearings seems to have come lose too, has that happened to any of you?
My bike has about 8K miles on and I am not sure when it was manufactured (where do I check?), but picked it up in late July 2008 (UK bike).. so I guess it was built about a month earlier or so.

Cheers!
Can you explain what you mean by the spacer came lose. If the axle nut was tight nothing should of come lose between the inner bearing races.
LP
Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #760
tmex OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
Can you explain what you mean by the spacer came lose. If the axle nut was tight nothing should of come lose between the inner bearing races.
LP
Tony, I think he is referring to the cylindrical spacer which rides on the axle between the bearings. That spacer can be loose when the wheel is off the bike. In some cases the spacer is snug enough to the inner races that it does not seem loose and when you spin one inner race with your finger it will move the innrer race on the ooposite side of the wheel.

When I replaced my bearings I had to be sure the axle was in because it is possible to seat the bearings deeply enough that you cannot get the axle lined up with the inner races for reassembly. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #761
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Tony, I think he is referring to the cylindrical spacer which rides on the axle between the bearings. That spacer can be loose when the wheel is off the bike. In some cases the spacer is snug enough to the inner races that it does not seem loose and when you spin one inner race with your finger it will move the innrer race on the ooposite side of the wheel.

When I replaced my bearings I had to be sure the axle was in because it is possible to seat the bearings deeply enough that you cannot get the axle lined up with the inner races for reassembly. Don't ask me how I know this.
Sure, I was thinking with the wheel on the bike. Need more coffee not awake yet.

LP
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM   #762
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,600
Question

apologies in advance that I didn't read every word in this longish thread: did BMW correct a supplier problem so that the new bearings being shipped now as replacements are supposedly A-OK? or 'luck of the draw' ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I just got back from delivering my F800GS to Wild West Honda/BMW.

They looked at my bearings and agreed that the rotor side was not in good shape. They contacted BMW and BMW just delivered:
  • hub
  • bearings
  • seals
  • axle
  • circlips
  • adjusters
I'll pick up my bike from them next week and I'll fill in the rest of the details. What surprised me was that BMW sent a hub instead of a whole wheel. My original wheel will be laced to the new hub.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM   #763
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Not as far as I know. It's the hub bore that's the problem. In my case I'm getting all the bits needed, including the new hub. Replacing only the bearings will apparently solve nothing, only delay the inevitable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
apologies in advance that I didn't read every word in this longish thread: did BMW correct a supplier problem so that the new bearings being shipped now as replacements are supposedly A-OK? or 'luck of the draw' ?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #764
TR5ESU
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
LP
LaPorte - Sorry.. my bad..I didn't explain myself properly. It's as tmex said, that "cylindrical spacer" became so loose that it wouldn't align with the bearings anymore.. so it was difficult to get the axle through it when trying to put it all together (just to roll it up the recovery van!).

Anyway, I have my bike back now. Rear wheel bearing replaced under warranty... same hub though. Front axle recall was done at the same time (I never got a letter for that...) as well as the fuel gauge sensor.

I will keep an eye on the bearings as I am aware that the bore is the cause..

Thanks!
TR5ESU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #765
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Maybe this is a dumb-ass question on my part, but could applying the wrong torque to the rear axle nut cause this issue? As in, if it's too loose or too tight, it could put undue stress on the bearing and spacer? Doesn't the rear axle and axle nut kind of "squeeze" everything together back there?

If this is the case, all would take from now on is BMWNA making sure their dealers are greasing the bearings and applying the proper torque.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote