Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 06:06 AM   #781
BykMyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Well, I went by my local dealer last week and had a talk with the service manager regarding some of the issues on my bike, among them the rear disk side bearing. He said that "Der Corp" has recognized the problem and he is waiting for some word on a fix. So it looks like BMW is finally going to fix our bearing issue ! I also asked about my cracking gas tank, same story BMW knows and the service manager said that I should wait for a fix on that issue also.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #782
Ironman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
2010 defective bearings

Just heard from my dealer service manager that my rear bearings are defective on my 2010 with less than 1000 miles on it.

I took it in for a weird harmonic vibration that could be felt in the front end, that I described in detail here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534321

Bearings arrive today, and hopefully installed for a test ride to see if that fixes it.
2011 Husky SMS630 (sold); 2010 Husky TE510
2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:53 AM   #783
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
Just heard from my dealer service manager that my rear bearings are defective on my 2010 with less than 1000 miles on it.

I took it in for a weird harmonic vibration that could be felt in the front end, that I described in detail here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=534321

Bearings arrive today, and hopefully installed for a test ride to see if that fixes it.
Bummer, what side? I am ordering next month and hoped they sorted this out.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 AM   #784
Ironman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Bummer, what side? I am ordering next month and hoped they sorted this out.
No detail as of yet on which side. He just said rear wheel bearings. I'll update when I get the full details.
2011 Husky SMS630 (sold); 2010 Husky TE510
2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM   #785
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman
No detail as of yet on which side. He just said rear wheel bearings. I'll update when I get the full details.
I am not sure if you have read thru this thread, but their is a good running theory that the real issue is with the Hub specifications on a few hubs, and replacing the bearings will only result in the problem reoccuring. Woody put some time into the diagnoisis for this theory and it makes good sense to me. Its also measurable if you know what your looking for.

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 AM   #786
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
Just to move the list forward again [12/22/09] and add our new contestants:

tmex
Chi-Town
YetiGS [7/08]
Joel Wisman [12/08]
zaner32 (front only)
ROYAL COACHMAN
kkug
ABeef
LILGS
Bayner
bxr140
F8GS
v8toilet [8/08]
Maddaddy
cisco
wscollay [7/09] (twice!!)
PackMule
EnderTheX
BykMyk
njoytheride
Roonie [10/08] (not warrantied)
dukedar [2/09]
Cowboy2
mapuda [12/08]
johngil
Ducksbane [11/08]
llamapacker [650]
cbOwl [12/08]
RobStar [11/08]
kgwest [8/08]
drrags [11/08]
EasyJet_rc [04/09] [Australia]
Robhar54 [8/08]
jaycommando
goodtimes [10/08]
gwhis [7/08]
TXMedic [9/08]
GJGSRider [07/08]
chunter
5thTry [7/08]
5thTry's Svc Mgr
Ironman ('10)
jjoster

As of 12/22 that's 42 on the list (I underlined every fifth person).

If your bearings have failed, please file a complaint on the NTSB website. Here's the link: Link to file notice

Thanks in advance!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112

YetiGS screwed with this post 12-22-2009 at 11:52 AM
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #787
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
To update on my replaced wheel bearings... They were replaced at 4500 miles.

The dealer did not replace my hub or spacers. They only replaced the bearings. The bearings originally had black seals and the new ones have orange/red seals.

I personally checked the bearings and got the opinion of a *different* BMW motorcycle shop (there are 2 in DFW) at ~10,000 miles.

5500 miles on the new bearings and they feel fine, no grit, no notching, do not feel loose.

Maybe the bearings they installed on my bike were the new slightly undersized ones instead of the original design bearings. I sure am glad my issue seems to have been resolved but trust me I will be checking my bearings every time my rear wheel is off!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #788
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,200
Rear disk side bearing

Well, I mounted a pair of TKCs a couple weeks ago and checked my bearings while I was down there. My rear disc side bearing was decidedly gritty. Humbug! Now I'm trying to get BMW to warranty the replacement and A. they have none. B. they can't tell me if it will be warrantied until after the work is completed. Oh, and they claim to know nothing about the rear bearings being an issue.

I sure wish they had the right answer. Something like, "Yes sir, we have the part in stock and will replace it free of charge." Instead I get, "Sorry no part in stock. Drop off the bike, we'll look it over and order you a new one. If we determine it to be a warranty issue we'll let you know."
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #789
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
Well, I mounted a pair of TKCs a couple weeks ago and checked my bearings while I was down there. My rear disc side bearing was decidedly gritty. Humbug! Now I'm trying to get BMW to warranty the replacement and A. they have none. B. they can't tell me if it will be warrantied until after the work is completed. Oh, and they claim to know nothing about the rear bearings being an issue.

I sure wish they had the right answer. Something like, "Yes sir, we have the part in stock and will replace it free of charge." Instead I get, "Sorry no part in stock. Drop off the bike, we'll look it over and order you a new one. If we determine it to be a warranty issue we'll let you know."
Is this at BMW of Atlanta?

Btw, added you to the list.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 12-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #790
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Is this at BMW of Atlanta?
Yeah BMW Atlanta. Does anyone know the name of someone at BMW Atlanta who knows whats going on so I don't have to have the fight about bearings not failing so quickly, etc. I don't want to hear how I must have over tightened my axle or that the few hundred trail miles are to blame.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #791
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
Yeah BMW Atlanta. Does anyone know the name of someone at BMW Atlanta who knows whats going on so I don't have to have the fight about bearings not failing so quickly, etc. I don't want to hear how I must have over tightened my axle or that the few hundred trail miles are to blame.
Um, yeah. Bobby from BMW Atlanta is on here all the time and has, I believe, chimed in in this thread a couple of times. BMW Atlanta is his screen name on here. He's the owner (or owner's son ) and a very helpful and informative guy. He'll take care of you.

Bobby to the white courtesy phone please . . .
Old 12-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #792
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Um, yeah. Bobby from BMW Atlanta is on here all the time and has, I believe, chimed in in this thread a couple of times. BMW Atlanta is his screen name on here. He's the owner (or owner's son ) and a very helpful and informative guy. He'll take care of you.

Bobby to the white courtesy phone please . . .
Thanks Yeti, I'll look him up post-haste.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:21 PM   #793
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
When my rear bearings failed about 4,000Km ago (I'm on the list) I needed the bike and had the local non BMW dealer replace them with SKF's. I then made an appointment to take the bike to the dealer I bought it from to replace the SKF's with genuine BMW bearings as a warranty item and cover my bum. However BMW Australia didn't have any bearings! So I got them to inspect the SKF's (which were fine) and we will replace them another time. I believe that I'm still covered in the event of a catostropic failure.

Doesn't sound very organised, does it?

I ASSume that BMW will eventually make this good, but given the dangerous nature of the problem you would think they'd show a little more enthusiasm wouldn't you?
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:28 PM   #794
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
When my rear bearings failed about 4,000Km ago (I'm on the list) I needed the bike and had the local non BMW dealer replace them with SKF's. I then made an appointment to take the bike to the dealer I bought it from to replace the SKF's with genuine BMW bearings as a warranty item and cover my bum. However BMW Australia didn't have any bearings! So I got them to inspect the SKF's (which were fine) and we will replace them another time. I believe that I'm still covered in the event of a catostropic failure.

Doesn't sound very organised, does it?

I ASSume that BMW will eventually make this good, but given the dangerous nature of the problem you would think they'd show a little more enthusiasm wouldn't you?
My 2 cents:

Leave the SKF's in and dont worry about it. If and when they go south, you really think they are going to check ?
And btw Duck, BMW doesn't have or make "Genuine BMW" bearings. They are Chinese made bearings. In fact, I dont think they make much at all, they assemble it.
I think. (which is my disclaimer )
ps, I was down under in 96, wonderfull country mate !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:42 PM   #795
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
My 2 cents:

Leave the SKF's in and dont worry about it. If and when they go south, you really think they are going to check ?
And btw Duck, BMW doesn't have or make "Genuine BMW" bearings. They are Chinese made bearings. In fact, I dont think they make much at all, they assemble it.
I think. (which is my disclaimer )
ps, I was down under in 96, wonderfull country mate !
Just covering my arse Frank (as we say down here!).

The "Genuine" BMW bearings are made somewhere in Eastern Europe, Poland I think, definitely not Chinese. I suspect that they are not the entire problem ... thinking hub here. I will check the bearings a lot and see what happens.

I have visited your wonderful country a long time ago and just wish that everyone in power over there didn't seem to want to stuff it up on you.

I would love to be able to ride the TAT (providing my wheel bearings could make it to the end! )

A happy Christmas to all
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote