ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #811
Bluebull2007
Adventurer
 
Bluebull2007's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Lima, Perú
Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
This is the key to alleviating your problem Bluebull2007. The right side bearing is intended to "float" in it's position in the hub. It looked like you used a socket to press the bearing in - that presses the outer race only. By using a solid tool the presses both the outer and inner races the bearing will stop at the sleeve and the outer race will be in the proper "float" position.
Guys (Redhawk & Joel) youre both quite right, something flat is better suited for the job. However I still think you might be able to load the inner race (of the problem bearing in this thread) with any kind of pressure from the floating side.
__________________
-
-
RIP Angelo Pandelidis aka Brodovich Team F5 leader and inventor of Brodomath.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #812
RedHawk47
Adventurer
 
RedHawk47's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Berthoud, CO
Oddometer: 369
How to install wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Guys (Redhawk & Joel) youre both quite right, something flat is better suited for the job. However I still think you might be able to load the inner race (of the problem bearing in this thread) with any kind of pressure from the floating side.
Here's Woody's solution:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=38
__________________
Dan
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. -- Tom Robbins
13 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #813
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin
 
Zacharia_11's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: tricities.on.ca
Oddometer: 248
Connecting the dots.

Woody's Replacement
__________________

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #814
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,173
Bearings replaced under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
Well, I mounted a pair of TKCs a couple weeks ago and checked my bearings while I was down there. My rear disc side bearing was decidedly gritty. Humbug! Now I'm trying to get BMW to warranty the replacement and A. they have none. B. they can't tell me if it will be warrantied until after the work is completed. Oh, and they claimed to know nothing about the rear bearings being an issue.
I contacted BMW Atlanta through this board (thanks YetiGS for the tip) and they offered to start stocking the F800GS wheel bearings so I didn't have to have them inspect my bike and then wait for replacements to be delivered. The dealer called me when they had them in stock and I went in today for repair. They said my disc side rear bearing was installed improperly. It was not quite straight in the hole and was having unusual side loading, or something like that. I didn't get to talk to the mechanic directly. They replaced two of my rear bearing under warranty and sent me on my way. I could see that there was some unusual wear marks on the bad bearing opposed to the good bearing they replaced.

My thanks to BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta for taking their responsibility to BMW's customers seriously and going the extra mile for me specifically.

Bobby, you guys rock!

I'll check my bearings again when I replace this new tire and report back if my bearing is wrecked again. I'm guessing it will be fine though.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #815
woody's wheel works
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,299
is this a dead issue???

Greetings ,,the powers that be have allowed me back in the general forum,,,

so i started checking the various threads of interest these last few days now that the post holiday season has settled down....

and i am truly amazed that this thread with over 800 posts on the subject,not to mention all the ones on the parrallel threads in the vendor section,,have just disappeared.. has everyone been taken care of by their dealers???

only three people showed up at my doorstep....or does it really hold true that if one denies something long enough that the problem goes away???

Just curious

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #816
Zacharia_11
11th Assassin
 
Zacharia_11's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: tricities.on.ca
Oddometer: 248
If I was a betting man...

The thread may become a bit more active with actual instances in a few months...

__________________

2013 Honda CB500X
Zacharia_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:36 PM   #817
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer
 
robhar54's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
...has everyone been taken care of by their dealers???

only three people showed up at my doorstep....or does it really hold true that if one denies something long enough that the problem goes away???
Hey, if BMW would pay for one of your setups I'd be all over it like white on rice! It's a thing o' beauty, and if I ever want to change wheel sizes, I'd do it for sure, no matter what the "official" solution turns out to be.

As it is, my dealer took care of the immediate issue by replacing the bearings on warranty, and I'm waiting for BMW to step up with a permanent solution. I figure I have at least a couple thousand miles before I need to start worrying, and I don't have any big trips planned for the next few months....

Rob in Seattle
__________________
Adventure Bikes: Rivendell Saluki + Rawland rSogn
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #818
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!
 
Ducksbane's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Northern NSW
Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
Greetings ,,the powers that be have allowed me back in the general forum,,,

so i started checking the various threads of interest these last few days now that the post holiday season has settled down....

and i am truly amazed that this thread with over 800 posts on the subject,not to mention all the ones on the parrallel threads in the vendor section,,have just disappeared.. has everyone been taken care of by their dealers???

only three people showed up at my doorstep....or does it really hold true that if one denies something long enough that the problem goes away???

Just curious

woody
I wasn't going to comment at this point because I was waiting for BMW Australias response ... but since you asked ...

I just replaced my rear TKC80 with a heidenau K60 (great tyre) and guess what, my wheel bearings replaced 5,000 km ago with TKM (couldn't get the BMW bearings, out of stock) have failed again. More TKM bearings (too far to the dealer). So YetiGS, put me down for two (and probably counting!)

The dealer in Newcastle have been good and are asking BMW for a new rear wheel, I don't have their response yet, but if I don't get what I want (NEED actually!) I am prepared to take this a long way up the BMW chain of command.

It's a great bike, perfect for me, but I am still not prepared to be killed or maimed by this fault. Hopefully it will come out alright, I really don't want to get rid of the 800.

As an aside, how's Woodys service to Australia?
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #819
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Joel, was there anything official from BMW on this to the dealers? The hub you replaced was based on bore measurements?

My dealer told me my bearings were fine when they checked during the other recall work back in the fall. They most certainly were not fine, but I think they didn't pull the wheel and just rotated/yarded on the wheel. They told me it was a noisy chain.

Just fitted my studded tires, and the bearings are worse than before (no surprise). Still no slop in the wheel yet, though, so I'm going to pull it and bring it in off the bike. See what they say this time.

If there's a hub replacement involved, I'd like to swap to a sanely-sized rim so I can run tubliss.

Just want to be armed with a little info before I go in. Thx.
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #820
woody's wheel works
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,299
funny you should ask about my service to 'Down under'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
I wasn't going to comment at this point because I was waiting for BMW Australias response ... but since you asked ...

I just replaced my rear TKC80 with a heidenau K60 (great tyre) and guess what, my wheel bearings replaced 5,000 km ago with TKM (couldn't get the BMW bearings, out of stock) have failed again. More TKM bearings (too far to the dealer). So YetiGS, put me down for two (and probably counting!)

The dealer in Newcastle have been good and are asking BMW for a new rear wheel, I don't have their response yet, but if I don't get what I want (NEED actually!) I am prepared to take this a long way up the BMW chain of command.

It's a great bike, perfect for me, but I am still not prepared to be killed or maimed by this fault. Hopefully it will come out alright, I really don't want to get rid of the 800.

As an aside, how's Woodys service to Australia?
FYI,,i've got a big following down under and take good care of all your requests...
you need to know that in my other thread i forewarned all of you that just replacing the bearings on a hub with the excessive crush problem is like putting a new band -aid on a wound that needs to be cleaned out ...yes you can get a few extra miles out of your bike til the next bearing wears out and fails...you ought to take this info and confront them with the facts,,ask them to measure your bore before they put the next bearing in it!!!..it should be .001''/.025mm under 47mm ie the diameter of your 6204 bearing.

here's the link...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505577


__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 01-23-2010 at 05:30 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #821
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get huffy and demand a new hub if nothing official had been posted on the subject.


Is there any Motorrad policy precluding me from bringing the wheel and sprocket carrier in off the bike? Logistically it's a lot easier, and I want the service manager to put his hands on the bearings while I'm standing there. I don't want the BS stroking I had to go through last time.

I can see them saying "we can't service this without the whole bike, though, because you might reinstall the wheel on your worldly adventure bike incorrectly -- and we couldn't have you blaming us for anything that comes from it". Which, on the one hand, I could understand. And on the other hand, is totally ridiculous.

Unfortunately, ridiculous lawyers seem to run much of what happens in this country these days.


Thanks,
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #822
PackMule
love what you do
 
PackMule's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: New Hampshah
Oddometer: 19,458
Ok, thx. I've got the RepRom in addition to the owners manual, and I own (and use, to much amusement of the guys at work) a torque wrench.
__________________
Nate in N.E.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA


Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #823
dukedar
60 easy payments!
 
dukedar's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, Qc
Oddometer: 340
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Is there any Motorrad policy precluding me from bringing the wheel and sprocket carrier in off the bike? Logistically it's a lot easier, and I want the service manager to put his hands on the bearings while I'm standing there. I don't want the BS stroking I had to go through last time.
My dealership gives a better rate for tire swaps if you bring them in off of the bike... that and no appointment is required .

They never mentioned any issues with BMW at all...but I will ask them next time! I am getting new tires within the next 2 months, and I intend to bring them in for it AND have them check the bearings again...
__________________
Darren
'09 BMW F800GS
dukedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #824
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Penticton, BC
Oddometer: 1,457
Well, don't worry Woody, you'll be seeing my wheels soon enough...
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #825
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown
 
YetiGS's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get huffy and demand a new hub if nothing official had been posted on the subject.


Is there any Motorrad policy precluding me from bringing the wheel and sprocket carrier in off the bike? Logistically it's a lot easier, and I want the service manager to put his hands on the bearings while I'm standing there. I don't want the BS stroking I had to go through last time.

I can see them saying "we can't service this without the whole bike, though, because you might reinstall the wheel on your worldly adventure bike incorrectly -- and we couldn't have you blaming us for anything that comes from it". Which, on the one hand, I could understand. And on the other hand, is totally ridiculous.

Unfortunately, ridiculous lawyers seem to run much of what happens in this country these days.


Thanks,
Nate, that's how I brought mine in when I got my bearings replaced under warranty. And the cush bearings too.
__________________
-Scott-
Semper Fi
'04 BMW R1150GSA, '04 KTM 625 SXC
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014