Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #826
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,459
Cool, thanks guys. Now I just have to find a time where I can stand to be without the bike for a bit. Kind of tough now that I have the studded tires, just want to keep riding!

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #827
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Cool, thanks guys. Now I just have to find a time where I can stand to be without the bike for a bit. Kind of tough now that I have the studded tires, just want to keep riding!
If you make an appointment, you should just be to take the wheel in and walk out with new bearings an hour later.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:39 PM   #828
gwhis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
I was told no warranty coverage of wheel bearings

My bike is in the shop now and they wouldn't even take the wheel off and check the bearings because the wheel didn't have side play in it. I was told that wheel bearings are wear items and not covered by warranty.
DR650 DRZ
gwhis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #829
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwhis
My bike is in the shop now and they wouldn't even take the wheel off and check the bearings because the wheel didn't have side play in it. I was told that wheel bearings are wear items and not covered by warranty.
Did you check your bearings? Are they shot? I wouldn't expect my dealer to check my bearings for me under warranty either.

When I discovered mine were bad my dealer initially told me the same thing. I then took the wheel in with the crunchy bearings and they agreed to cover them.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 PM   #830
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Did you check your bearings? Are they shot? I wouldn't expect my dealer to check my bearings for me under warranty either.

When I discovered mine were bad my dealer initially told me the same thing. I then took the wheel in with the crunchy bearings and they agreed to cover them.
Same here. I had to bring in the unmounted wheel. It got handled just fine after that.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #831
gwhis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Not covered

Yea, I had checked them and told them that one of the bearings feel gritty when turned with my finger. I had to agree to pay a half hour labor for them to remove the wheel and check it. After checking it they said it wasn't bad enough to need replacing yet. The shop owner also pointed out that I had not bought the bike from them, so I guess that also has an effect on the service rendered to me. Since the the closest dealer is 100 miles from me, I told the owner that I wanted it fixed even if I had to pay. I read on a different site that the dealership had been bought by the Harley dealer and will be moving, so service may improve.
DR650 DRZ
gwhis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #832
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
Are the bearings still a problem with the newer bikes or was this reserved for just the initial batch? I just bought a 2010 F8, should I just replace the bearings in it as a preventative measure?
Old 03-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #833
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8Pilot
Are the bearings still a problem with the newer bikes or was this reserved for just the initial batch? I just bought a 2010 F8, should I just replace the bearings in it as a preventative measure?
The problem wasn't the bearings it was the machining in the hub. I imagine that the problem doesn't effect many newer bikes, so I doubt you need to change your bearings.

You probably should check the everytime you have the wheel off though, just in case.
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #834
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,337
it's NOT your bearings ,,,it IS your hub

guys i'm flabbergastered that after all the R&D and bench-racing on this thread,,,that all of you are still just settling for bearing replacement....

you can swap out all the new bearings of whatever brand suits your fancy til dooms day,,,if the undersized bore on your bike's rear hub is not brought up to .001''interference fit,,,the new bearing WILL FAIL sooner or later....the early symptoms are a crunchy gritty sensation when you twist the bearing with your finger.

the Rx is
1,,honing/boring the hub out for proper fit ,ie.001'' crush
2,,replacing/re-lacing with a new corrected hub
3,,replacing the wheel assy

FYI,,most everyone that had just the bearings swapped has had to swap them again,,evry 1,000-2,000 miles

demand a solution and not just a band-aid

here's the parallel thread that explains it all:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=15

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #835
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Woody, I'm sure you're right, but BMW isn't going to replace the hub after just one set of bearings goes bad as much as I wish they would. I'm on my second set now with about 4k miles on them. I'm going to be checking them this weekend and, if they're shot, I will be requesting a new hub or that they let you re-machine this one. I'll report back after they're checked.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #836
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,624
If the problem happened in a low miles bike, at the rotor side of the rear wheel, wouldn't that be enough evidence to kick in the warranty service based on BMW's own assertion of a set of miss-machined hubs?

Quote:
Woody, I'm sure you're right, but BMW isn't going to replace the hub after just one set of bearings goes bad as much as I wish they would. I'm on my second set now with about 4k miles on them. I'm going to be checking them this weekend and, if they're shot, I will be requesting a new hub or that they let you re-machine this one. I'll report back after they're checked.
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:55 AM   #837
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
If the problem happened in a low miles bike, at the rotor side of the rear wheel, wouldn't that be enough evidence to kick in the warranty service based on BMW's own assertion of a set of miss-machined hubs?
Except that BMW has never acknowledged that any hubs were mis-machined.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #838
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 625
I have 8000kms on mine and no wheel play or any sign of failure at this point. It was a January build date last year so Not sure if that makes a difference. Then again, I have a bigger issue with the bike!

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #839
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Woody, I'm sure you're right, but BMW isn't going to replace the hub after just one set of bearings goes bad as much as I wish they would.
They did for me (Honda of Houston). But I suspect a lot of it has to do with how enthusiastic your dealer supports you. And IIRC I already 12k miles on mine. BTW, 10,000 miles later I just checked them and they feel like new.

Hey, does anyone know if the XChallenge rear wheel fits the F800GS?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:09 PM   #840
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
They did for me (Honda of Houston). But I suspect a lot of it has to do with how enthusiastic your dealer supports you. And IIRC I already 12k miles on mine. BTW, 10,000 miles later I just checked them and they feel like new.

Hey, does anyone know if the XChallenge rear wheel fits the F800GS?
They replaced your hub? Or your bearings?