DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #872
cisco
old fat guy

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco
My advice, for what it's worth;
1st check your bearings, if they are rough ,inform your dealer.
2nd take your hub to your local machine shop. Look for the guy with the manual machines,with more then five years experience, maybe some gray hair. The guy sitting behind a keyboard with a shop full of cnc's may not be the right choice. He'll get the bore to the right size, and concentric to the other side. Your bearings will thank you.
3rd write you report to the GOV.
'nough said.
Cisco
This my be better then dukin' it out with BMWNA. If you are unable to find someone locally, Woody is very capable.
Cisco
cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #873
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni
You should visit the BMW final drive failure thread.

THREAD

Seriously, I remember the same thing happened to one of the Webber Brothers, and I believe they fixed it trail side by cutting up a plastic cup and fitting in where the bearing went. They were able to ride slowly 20 miles or so to get back to asphalt.

Here, found a link to his post about it. Wheel Bearings Gone
Funny, I was thinking about that very same posting as a example, then again the Webber brothers are as incredible as they come at the art of Pennytech

Ps: You better replace the other bearing too, since after a wobbly wheel the other bearing is also trash for sure

Ricardo Kuhn screwed with this post 04-03-2010 at 08:14 PM
Ricardo Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #874
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,305
keep your eye upon the doughnut ,,and not upon the hole!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BykMyk
Well, my experience so far is less than encouraging as far as BMW NA or the "Bean Counters" at der corp stepping up.....

Docking Pilots reply: ''Thats all your dealer, not BMW NA''

IMHO,,,there are two components for a good ending to take place in this or any other issue/ scenario ,,,

First ,,,your dealer/service manager has to lend a sympathetic ear to your complaint/problem and go to bat for you

Second,,,BMWNA has to listen and approve corrective action as well as give a heads up to the rest of its dealers so that they do not end up looking like morons and constantly reply''what problem,,we never heard of any bearings go''

[,,,, I paid to have my first set of "crunchy" bearings changed and that was at about 1500 miles, ]

i would take that receipt along with your bike,,,some of the facts found in this thread and ask for reimbursement for the previous work/parts and a hub repair/new hub/new wheel ie solve the REAL problem and not the effects caused by ''THE PROBLEM'' !!

[,,,,here I am at 6500 miles about to do a tire change....any guesses what I'll find re: bearings? My thoughts are that this time I'll insist that they are replaced under warranty so that I can get some riding in this season and also give BMW time to step up...]

here's were the ''keep your eye on the doughnut'' part comes in.....if you ask for a bearing change you may get what you want BUT NOT what you need,,,you are settling for the 'doughnut hole'

what you need is to have the cause of your bearing going bad be fixed/replaced ie the hub with the undersized bearing bores

.failing that, this fall, Woody you get my business! When my riding buddies ask about my F8, what should I say? Love the bike hate the BMW corporate culture! How about Highland USA !!
Just another observation regarding the issue of water getting into your bearings and contributing to their demise,,,,earlier i said that was highly unlikely considering the double defense system that your wheels have built into them with all the seals...AND i based that on you having bearings /hubs etc operating within spec and as they should.....

there is a scenario though that will exacerbate/accelerate your bearings demise if you you submerge them....if like in this case where the bearings get real hot because of the excess friction your hub will get hot and when it gets dunked in water it will cool down rapidly creating a vacuum in the hub and consequently suck in water...if it's muddy or salty water that will only aggravate the situation more.

woody

PS...i imagine if you pound enough bearing sets in and out of your rear hub it'll eventually come up to spec and your problem will go away,,,,,,,,,,
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 05:53 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #875
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
It's been exactly 4,000 miles since my bearings were replaced under warranty. I just took the wheel off to check the bearings and . . .

the rotor side bearing is notchy again. Shit. Not as bad as they were when replaced, but they are definitely notchy. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow and seeing about getting a new hub/wheel.

Based on everything in here, I can't say I'm surprised but I am bummed.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #876
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
I had the same trouble Yeti, and Woody sorted it out. Was much easier than getting the 'you ride too agressively off road' or some other crap (and we don't care) speech from my dealer again.
(May be different with the new management, but I can't be bothered and that's another thread....)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #877
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
I had the same trouble Yeti, and Woody sorted it out. Was much easier than getting the 'you ride too agressively off road' or some other crap (and we don't care) speech from my dealer again.
(May be different with the new management, but I can't be bothered and that's another thread....)
Mine was great the first time. I called and they said, "No, bearings are consumables but bring it in and let us check 'em out." I brought the wheel in, he turned them once and said "Yup, warranty." No problem.

This time though I'm going to insist on a new hub. If they won't replace the hub or pay to send it to Woody I'll do it myself. My dealer has sent quite a few wheels to Woody so they about him and the quality work he does.

If I send my rear to Woody to be remachined, I'm sending the front for a new rim and super lacing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 04-04-2010, 02:13 PM   #878
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
Quote:
Sounds like our dealers have been to the same school.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:02 PM   #879
gwhis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
$90.73

Bearing $16.71 Shaft Seal $13.22 Shop Supplies $11.51 Labor $46.80
DR650 DRZ
gwhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #880
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngil
Sounds like our dealers have been to the same school.
Probably. Also, I'm in a much smaller center (not to mention Canada as a whole) so the frequency of these issues appearing are probably far less convincing.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #881
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Anyone know what a new wheel costs?

Has this problem been fixed with the newer bikes yet?

Being in Peru is a bit of an issue, because there is no dealer never mind dealer warrantee here .

If the new bikes are still being made with this problem, Id like to know so I can send Woody a "rim to ream" so to speak.

Thanks in Advance. BTW, YETIGS, did you add me to your list?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #882
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007

Has this problem been fixed with the newer bikes yet?

Being in Peru is a bit of an issue, because there is no dealer never mind dealer warrantee here .

If the new bikes are still being made with this problem, Id like to know so I can send Woody a "rim to ream" so to speak.

Yup, you're on the list.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:04 PM   #883
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,305
fyi and perusal compliments of MAXBMWs microfiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007

here's the info for front and rear:

Has this problem been fixed with the newer bikes yet? we believe it has based on our stats,,there may be an occasional wheel that contaminates the pool

FYI,,,you are being reamed,, and i'll ream your hub butt not your but or rim

and here's the link to all MAXBMW parts fiches..

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/fiche.aspx

your F800GS

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...aspx?vid=51598
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-04-2010 at 06:12 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #884
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Probably. Also, I'm in a much smaller center (not to mention Canada as a whole) so the frequency of these issues appearing are probably far less convincing.

Max is my local dealer. They had never heard of it, and it was frankly a bit of a pain in the ass to get it replaced (or should I say, get the service manager to actually LISTEN to what I was saying). They're one of the top volume dealers in the country and hadn't seen any other bikes with this issue yet (goddamn poseur Yankee riders...)

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #885
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
i know,,i know,,,stragglers on this thread if ya haven't been here from the beginning will still chime in with ''possible scenarios why these bearings are failing,,,no problem

here's the the link to the analysis i performed on a certifiably notchy wheel bearing ,,,the dozen or so that have been to my shop for ''analysis and repair ''mimicked that one within .00025'',,,essentially all had the disc side bore be smaller then the sprocket side bore and both were .001-.0015'' too small/too tight over wheel bearing standards for crush

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=15

this link will take you thru the journey step by step
woody
So the correct mesurement is 46.98mm. So assuming one can find micrometer measurement capabilities locally then one can check their spkt and disc sides and they should both measure 46.98mm.