Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #1306
BluWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Is there a process to present this data to BMW in order to affect some sort of warratny claim/recall?

(me hiding behind wall of naivete)
BOA #166285
BluWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #1307
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolf View Post
Is there a process to present this data to BMW in order to affect some sort of warratny claim/recall?

The first three times my berings went bad I took my bike to my dealer and they replaced them under warranty. That was reported to BMW. I also filed a "report" with NHTSA, there's a link back a page or two in this thread. I'd like to think that if enough people file reports with NHTSA that BMW will eventually have to do something. I just hope it's before someone has a serious crash due to their rear wheel bearings failing.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #1308
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,328
what to present to BMW,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWolf View Post

IMHO....you can print out a few of the posts related to this subject,,it's actually recorded on every major BMW forum....

be nice yet firm,,,ask them to please measure the bore to see if it is within spec ie 47mm minus .001'' anything smaller will mitigate premature bearing wear....FYI the early hubs had the disc side measure circa .0025'' under ie .0015'' too tight
and the sprocket side .002'' about .001 too tight,,,
''
remember ,,,many dealerships don't even have the apparatus or someone trained in this technique.....

have them record your complaint,,,let them know you want peace of mind and do not want live in anxiety that the bearing will go kaput every 3-5,000miles

remember,,they will give you the official spin that you have a 2,000 mile warranty on any BMW component or something to that effect...

the words i want this problem repaired and /or fixed versus please replace them will have way different outcomes

go for it

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 06:41 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #1309
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
2010 f800gs

Picked up my F800GS in November of 2009 (2010 Model). Watched the bearing problem develop over the next year and whatched my bearings. At 5,093 miles, when replacing the rear tire, I noticed that the bearing were getting notchy. Took the wheel to the dealer. He replaced the bearings, but talked to BMW. He checked the hub OD and found it to be within tolerance. Were talking about the rotor side of the rear wheel. I have since put on 3,689 miles and I am replacing the rear tire again. The bearings still feel like they did when new. When this new rear tire wears out I will check them again. To bad the tire couldn't last a little longer, oh well, its the price we pay to have fun.
I though a little positive might be good to hear!

LaPorte
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM   #1310
ducpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
one more

Add me to the list... I had the bearing come apart while I was riding today. It felt like I had low air so I was slowing down before it completly came apart. I have less than 14K on my 2009 F800GS
Old 12-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #1311
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,868
Coming home from dinner last night I heard a squeak and then felt a little thumping.

Pulled over, checked for anything obvious, then limped home (about a mile) slowly.

It has been a while since the wheel's been off so hadn't checked bearings lately but there was no other warning.

13,000 miles on 2009

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #1312
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,656
WOW... add another issue to F800's list.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #1313
DolphinJohn
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
WOW... add another issue to F800's list.

I still love the bike.

I should have been more proactive with the bearings, it's not like I didn't know others had issues.

I live in a very salty environment where corrosion is a big problem for everything. Hell, I probably even rode through salty or at least brackish water at some point with the bike.

I'm just glad I was in town and not on the highway when I caught it, or it might have caught me.

FYI, the wheel still rolled just fine on the center stand and didn't make any noise. There was just the slightest bit of lateral play when shaking the wheel side to side. I'm talking about "do I feel a little play or not?" kind of movement.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:26 PM   #1314
Pomo
gonzo

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn View Post
FYI, the wheel still rolled just fine on the center stand and didn't make any noise.
This was my experience as well, when my bearings started to go. Luckily I caught them before they totally grenaded, but I could see the beginnings of scoring/heating evident on the axle when I pulled the wheel off and discovered the crunchiness of the bearings.

"It's supposed to be a challenge, that's why they call it a shortcut. If it was easy it would just be the way." ~ Rubin, Road Trip

Pomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #1315
doc3toes
n00b

Oddometer: 9
at 10000km and less than 1 yr old i was told that my bearings are not covered under warranty. only covered for 6000km. looked in the manual, and it actually states 7500km. looks like i am sol. they also wanted $380 for 10,000km service, so they can cram it.
doc3toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #1316
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,893
Mine were replaced under warranty. Twice! Keep on-'em.
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #1317
woody's wheel works
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,328
totally un -acceptable....

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc3toes View Post
at 10000km and less than 1 yr old i was told that my bearings are not covered under warranty. only covered for 6000km. looked in the manual, and it actually states 7500km. looks like i am sol. they also wanted $380 for 10,000km service, so they can cram it.
IMHO,,,you have sufficient anecdotal evidence to press your case...

When most motorcycles get 40-60,000 trouble-free miles as the norm on oem bearings....and i can say this from my perspective of 39 years doing this kind of work for every manufacturer in existence,,then track down and locate the source of the 800GS rear hub/bearing failures....4 years ago,,,,

i'd humbly submit the following threads for you to peruse and glean what ya need to press your case....

be calm,,,share your findings,,,record your attempts at getting it it fixed when /where via copies of your work/repair order,,,request the hub be measured etc etc

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1308

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505577

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637591

I'm a firm believer that the higher ups in BMW,,ultimately want you to be a happy /return customer...

good luck
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #1318
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little View Post
Mine were replaced under warranty. Twice! Keep on-'em.
Mine was replaced by Woddy's...... Came with the new wheel......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #1319
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Just thought I'd chime in again... BMW replaced my hub 26,000 miles ago under warranty for this bearing issue. 26,000 miles and rough roads in Central America and Mexico later and the bearings are still going strong. I really thought I, and Wild West Honda had set a precedent almost two years ago. I'm bumming that after all this time it's only been a very select few that have been successful with this issue. BMW certainly knows about this issue, and for a dealer to not even replace the bearings is unacceptable, IMHO.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #1320
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Seems like inmates in the Great White North don't have as strong of consumer protections and BMW is just taking advantage of cost savings. Thought I saw a number of posts that BMW was also not covering the leaking valve cover gasket which is an acknowleged problem and covered for those of us State side. Bummer, but goes to show what corps will do if allowed to run free.

On topic; I plan on having my dealer check out mine when I send it in for it's annual checkup, along with the rear caliper not floating as it should. Will report back if anything is amiss.